Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Ubuntu for the first time via DVD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An SSD is definitely on my short list. It's funny... when SSDs first became a thing, they weren't known for being fast. The benefit was mainly shock protection, as there were no rotating parts to damage. Now, the access time is so fast that they're superior in damn near every way to a traditional HDD!

I really just need to upgrade my entire system. I bought this Lenovo box brand new a few years ago, and it was a lower-end machine even then. Now, it's horribly outdated.

Comment

You can get nice off lease stuff for cheap. I bought an off lease tower for like.... $100? It was beat to shit physically but I put an SSD and some RAM in it and it works great. Corporations burn through computers so often it's very easy to get good deals.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I never even thought of that. I'll give it a shot next time I upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
          I have been using Ubuntu for years, and am thinking of coming back to Windows, reluctantly. I already converted my home office computer 100% of the way back, and I am running a Windows VM 99% of the time to watch Hulu and Netflix which is shit for the video quality.

Ubuntu works really well and is cool to play around with, but over the past couple of years I have found that Windows is just better at everything. For browsing the web Adobe just pretty much dumped support for Flash on Linux, so you either get an annoying prompt or websites that don't work at all, including Hulu and Netflix.
          Hulu works fine for me just install pepperflash and/or pipelight, then flash and silverlight content works just fine. A year ago there was a couple weeks that it stopped working until the plugin was finally updated. Most issues have resolutions only a short google search away, finally. If its an issue you are facing, guaranteed others have, and there are some creative people out there who figure things out. Thats why its good that Ubuntu and Mint have a large user base.
          Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-17-2015, 08:47 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I installed Pepperflash and I'm still having problems with Hulu for protected content. Other than that, everything else works. I am just having problems with Hulu. I will mess with Pipelight.

That is the other thing. Support is there but it's a bit of a pain to implement. You will have to learn to like the command prompt.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
              I installed Pepperflash and I'm still having problems with Hulu for protected content. Other than that, everything else works. I am just having problems with Hulu. I will mess with Pipelight.

That is the other thing. Support is there but it's a bit of a pain to implement. You will have to learn to like the command prompt.
              I should have mentioned Hulu only works in firefox. The flash system implementedin Chrome doesnt support the hulu DRM. Also just fyi if you want to use amazon prime video, install the hal hack. Netflix should be fine in chrome.

Sometimes things "dont work" but soultions/answers are usually just a google search away. For example "ubuntu flash hulu protected content" was my query for this one.

Theres no user guides for anything.... Just guides written by users online. Which i always find more helpful than a pre-defined helpfile anyway.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-19-2015, 02:06 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I just get frustrated having to dig through pages of forums. For example that first link says the problem is solved, but you have to go in a couple of pages to find the solution. I prefer blog posts the most. Either way I will try Pipelight tonight and see if that works. Good thing is it looks like it has a prepackaged installer which is another hassle avoided. I am cool with a little command line stuff but some of it goes too far. Debugged prepackaged executables are best.
                Last edited by gloryaccordy; 12-22-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X