Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: 98-02 ACCORD Instrument Cluster Gauge swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The signals were annoying to wire up, but I got mine working after a couple tries. I even popped my signal and hazard fuses in the process.

Comment

yeah im gonna pull apart my wireing one more time plug it into the wall and hit it with some positives and neg's light everything thats not working up and lable it ! on the bright side i got my brights light to shine, just gotta see where my faults were thankfully i pulled a few harnesses for the cb at the jy last week so i got something to go off of i just need to research the wireing for the 00" as aposed to the 98 the wire color change throws me off bad!

if you ever pull it apart again if you have a test light check if there is any power up there i can tap into that wont power the guages to where il drain my battery

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
      Do it once, do it right.
      Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
      Missing My
      White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

I'm just going to rock this cluster til I find another one to swap it out with. I love how it looks, but the auto shift pattern and the tach and lack of trip meter are annoying.

Not sure what year my cluster is from, but the wiring instructions from the OP worked for me with no issues.

Comment

Alright cool....

so i know that i need to cut more than just that one side right and what other tools than a angle grinder should i round up for the install i plan on trying to make this perm i like it better than the lude one (personal pref) i can deal with the tac off by a 1000 rpm and the miles per hour off by like 3mph just gotta figure out how to keep some sorta power to it so the trip can keep .probably something they did for the CG. As for the temp problem i think its a diffrence in they made from 99" to 00" mabe the sensor is diffrent. Would you mind getting a pic of all you cut out i know the right side has to go, the top of the steering wheel goes and whatelse? Once it cools off here in cali il be more likely to have the paticace to spend 6-7 hrs hopefully half that cuz il have the wireing down to a T and all il need to do is grind out the dash a bit i dont mind it cuz its alreddy got some faws, Though I love the fact ive never seen a actual crack in a accord dash !

thanks mike for actuly doin this and helpin us out

Do it once, do it right.
          Missing My
          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

lol, I'm not pulling this cluster out just to take a pic. I swear I had to use lube, spit and a bit of sweet talking and turning the lights off to get it in.

You need to cut out that rectangular bit on the right side of the cluster hole. Also cut off the bottom black plastic the CB cluster sits on to drop the cluster don so the plugs fit. I shaved down some of the foam on the underside of the dash to give a little more clearance. I also shaved all 4 corners of the cluster itself and cut off all the tabs.

Comment

Took a bit of sweet caressing, eh? LOL. Have you guys hopped on www.6thgenaccord.com or www.v6performance.net for more info? I know there are differences between 98-00 and 0102, coupe and sedan, and 4cyl and v6. So, potentially, you have 9 possible clusters, lol.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Oh great. Fook me.

The obvious choice in my case would be from a 4 cyl 5 speed. Though I think any 98-00 4 cylinder cluster will work better than the 01-02's, as schierholz seems to have an 01-02 and is having more issues than I had.

I think the whole tach issue has to do with it being calibrated for a V6 and the ignition pulses are different. Whether or not the automatic transmission has anything to do with it is also under speculation.

Comment

Yeah i tried for a 98 ulev 4cyl but it was gone so the dude had a 00" v6 ex auto that i took, alright so the pass side plastic and mounting amd the drivers side and the peice over the steering colum i intend some itching at it for the wires on top what should i use to cut the plastic ? Mabe a cut
                  Off tool? Thats crazy that there are about 6 diffrent clusters as apposed to the cb's 2 mabe 3 ive noticed cuz of the 16 pin the 18 pin as one of the main harness and the 10 or 8 pins fOr power onthe cb i just hate pullin off my dash all the screws are just fun and worse without a drill

Do it once, do it right.
                  Missing My
                  Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

has anyone figured out if swapping out the 98/02 temp sensor will make the coolant guage work properly ... i believe our system relies on the 3 sensors, the thermostat housing one,the one under the distributer,and the one going towards the ratiator, i have looked at plenty online and they look like what i have on my car but are they built diffrently has anyone tried this, and the mat req light wont turn off is this required to have ?

what will cut the plastic it seems thick and im just trying to get all the tools together before i try this one last time lamo

Do it once, do it right.
                    Missing My
                    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

I pretty much used an angle grinder for the entire job.

Overkill? Kinda. Get the job done? Absolutely.

Comment

Okay its in there and it keeps the mileage which is wonderful

Notes for installing on a AUTO
                        everything works but it wouldnt let me go into reverse ....(probably tcu Limp mode ) so i wired up the light green (C2) wire which is the pgm-Fi and hooked my SRS light upto it. If you have a sports button 90-91 i was going to use the Immobilzer light but it wouldnt work the way i planned becouse both the (C5) yellow wire ignition and the (C3) green wire AT control both had power at key on so im going to work on that.

My battery indicator stopped working for some reason after so long but there was power in through the black/yellow wire and out through the white/blue

I took the yellow and white / white/yellow (which connect as one,and is next to the Pink wire) and wired that to my hazzard flasher swich with a T tap and it keeps the odom from resetting (pray i dont kill my battery)

And I have a 4 door so I dont know what to do about the Dome Light wire
                        And from my exp my car wont kill the Brake Lamp warning light (all lights work)
                        so i just left them un plugged for more research

And last of all i have the Thermostat shooting to the top, from what i can tell honda changed something for the 2000/02 clusters and It wont read correctly
                        I cant find any diffrences in thermostat part#s but hopefully I can find a Solution.

I can tell that the Spedo is off about 2/3 miles per hour
                        and the Tach is off about 1k rpm below what im running

Just putting this out there for anyone who wants to tackle this it looks very clean though
                        From This

To this

It fits pretty good il snap some pics later of its fitment Hope this makes some bit of sense
                        Last edited by schierholz; 07-22-2012, 12:20 AM.

Do it once, do it right.
                        Missing My
                        Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

what i ended up doing is cutting out each side of the old mounting hardware (except for the hard plastic peice on the Right side. cut out as much of the bottom of the back out as i could and shoved my old harnesses in there so all i was left with was my new harnesses. cut out the peice over the steering wheel (ended up brakeing the foam that its connected to) dropped the cluster, plugged it in and shoved it in there what i noticed is (you cut the top mounting supports for the cluster) well those hit right behind the screws holes on top keeping mine snug in there. something that was hard was getting my Dimmer back in after re installing everything, I ended up having to put something under the cluster to give it some height but Im okay with how it looks. Not bad for about 50 bucks and a week of makeing sure the harness I built was correct

Lucky i was able to keep the back plastic on my cluster so
                            Works good Tach does bother me, I know im running 3k but it only shows 2K
                            going to fix my door problem with some diodes
                            battery prob was my alt went out (that was alot of fun to replace)
                            and The famous which ied love to find the fix is the temp guage
                            i have to figure out exactly what to do when. the sensor is the same on the 00' v6 and ours. but the diffrence is that the signal goes to the ecu on the 00' and on ours it goes directly to the guage so im going to see what works

Deffently a cool mod if you have some time
                            and dont mind a little retrofitting

Do it once, do it right.
                            Missing My
                            Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

looks like it's meant to be in there. Good job on the install.

I had the same issue with my dimmer switch not clipping in all the way too.

btw, I notice you use those Refresh vent air fresheners. I use them too. Aren't they awesome?!

Comment

Yeah i ended up buying 2 packs after i re charged my a/c and put 2 of them on the intake under the pass foot well plus 1 on each vent, it smelled like crap till i found out my girls mom smoked in the car . (not a happy camper) .... So i went to radio shack and got 1amp 50wat diodes and twisted them together hooked one end to the dome light wire and the other to each of my four doors and now i have done light with each door and no interference on the dash pannel. Question has anyone had the brake lamp light on when you connect the wire for now mine is dissconected ?

Do it once, do it right.
                                Missing My
                                Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Working...
                                X