Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both Illuminas and AGXs. The AGXs are far superior than the Illuminas.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
      I have both Illuminas and AGXs. The AGXs are far superior than the Illuminas.
      You are the first person I've heard say this. Everyone I know whos had AGXs blew them. I am on VERY used Illuminas now and while they're no Konis, they work well enough and are not blown.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Awesome, we have an argument going! Based of those mustang and civic graphs, I'm inclined to go with the AGX. Other than the fact that it is a drop killer, it seems to have better curves.

Keep in mind, how well a shock performs has nothing to do with whether or not it "kills" drop. Also, just because the AGX might have better looking curves does not mean that it lasts longer...it seems to be the consensus on this site that the Illumina will outlast the AGX.

However, you can see there is a large variation between the mustang and civic graphs in both crosstalk and adjustment range....so the variation for the CB7 could be just as large. If only we could get charts for the CB7 application...
        Last edited by mndude07; 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM.
        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm running the eibach pro kit and agx struts/shocks. I think they're great. The drop is only MAYBE 1.5" probably more like 1.3" but according to the OP the springs are pretty stiff. I never get that slammed car "bounce" like some complain about on other suspension. I hear about lowering the car with AGXs causing them to blow - mine have around 50k on them and have been on full hardness the whole time (except for a week at full soft) and they haven't ever leaked or anything. I can take corners as fast as I want and never experience understeer or traction loss. My only concern is that I wish the drop was about 1.5-1.7".

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
            I'm running the eibach pro kit and agx struts/shocks. I think they're great. The drop is only MAYBE 1.5" probably more like 1.3" but according to the OP the springs are pretty stiff. I never get that slammed car "bounce" like some complain about on other suspension. I hear about lowering the car with AGXs causing them to blow - mine have around 50k on them and have been on full hardness the whole time (except for a week at full soft) and they haven't ever leaked or anything. I can take corners as fast as I want and never experience understeer or traction loss. My only concern is that I wish the drop was about 1.5-1.7".
            The Pro-kit drop isn't a very extreme drop, and the rates(even though you think they're stiff) are pretty soft really, so they probably aren't too harsh on the AGX's. A spring like the pro-kit is the sort of thing the AGX was meant to be paired with.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
              Awesome, we have an argument going! Based of those mustang and civic graphs, I'm inclined to go with the AGX. Other than the fact that it is a drop killer, it seems to have better curves.

Keep in mind, how well a shock performs has nothing to do with whether or not it "kills" drop. Also, just because the AGX might have better looking curves does not mean that it lasts longer...it seems to be the consensus on this site that the Illumina will outlast the AGX.

However, you can see there is a large variation between the mustang and civic graphs in both crosstalk and adjustment range....so the variation for the CB7 could be just as large. If only we could get charts for the CB7 application...
              Looking at the graph, my observations kind of match up; however, I had Konis with Neuspeed Sports (300/200) vs now where I have Illuminas with custom rates (440/300, basically Neuspeed Races). The best part of the Konis by far were their excellent low speed damping abilities. There is a series of bumps on the way to my parents place that really tests a suspension's range, and with the Konis it was like those bumps weren't even there. With this setup now I get some rocking and a little bottoming out.

I've found generally that at my car's height the Illuminas' low speed damping isn't enough. Mid range bump/rebound is pretty good, but high speed bump again is too weak. They have handled about 5,000 miles of some pretty brutal roads though at a very low height. AGXs would have been long gone.

Really though I should have ponied up the extra $150 for the Konis. I actually ordered them, but there was an issue with the shipping address so I cancelled the order and got these Illuminas. In retrospect that was a pretty boneheaded move as I hear Skunk2 springs with Konis is the ultimate setup (better than Races or Sports). Oh well

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                Looking at the graph, my observations kind of match up; however, I had Konis with Neuspeed Sports (300/200) vs now where I have Illuminas with custom rates (440/300, basically Neuspeed Races). The best part of the Konis by far were their excellent low speed damping abilities. There is a series of bumps on the way to my parents place that really tests a suspension's range, and with the Konis it was like those bumps weren't even there. With this setup now I get some rocking and a little bottoming out.

I've found generally that at my car's height the Illuminas' low speed damping isn't enough. Mid range bump/rebound is pretty good, but high speed bump again is too weak. They have handled about 5,000 miles of some pretty brutal roads though at a very low height. AGXs would have been long gone.

Really though I should have ponied up the extra $150 for the Konis. I actually ordered them, but there was an issue with the shipping address so I cancelled the order and got these Illuminas. In retrospect that was a pretty boneheaded move as I hear Skunk2 springs with Konis is the ultimate setup (better than Races or Sports). Oh well
                Yeah you should've waited for the Koni's for sure lol. Where did you hear Skunk2's were better? Are you talking about the coilover sleeves or the actual springs? Their springs don't drop as low as the Neuspeed springs(don't forget about the effects of lowering CG), and I haven't been able to get any info about the actual spring rate. Are they stiffer than the 485F, 300R that the neuspeed race are?

Comment

I see you don't have F/F spring rates listed. According to a link on their website, both the type 1's and 2's are listed at 12 front, and 6 rear. So that comes to 672 and 336 when multiplying by 56 as per the conversion.

My swap thread
                  Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                    I see you don't have F/F spring rates listed. According to a link on their website, both the type 1's and 2's are listed at 12 front, and 6 rear. So that comes to 672 and 336 when multiplying by 56 as per the conversion.
                    Cool, thanks. I'll add those rates. I couldn't find them when I looked awhile back. They must have just put them on their site recently.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I'll add those rates. I couldn't find them when I looked awhile back. They must have just put them on their site recently.
                      Probably, It's in fine print under the FAQ's and also at the bottom of the instructions page.

My swap thread
                      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Yeah you should've waited for the Koni's for sure lol. Where did you hear Skunk2's were better? Are you talking about the coilover sleeves or the actual springs? Their springs don't drop as low as the Neuspeed springs(don't forget about the effects of lowering CG), and I haven't been able to get any info about the actual spring rate. Are they stiffer than the 485F, 300R that the neuspeed race are?
                        H23Accord did some pretty extensive reviews on the Neuspeed Race/Koni combo and the Skunk2/Koni combo. All in all he loved the Skunk2 combo more. As far as drops, I would say the Skunk2 drops are comparable to the Neuspeed Races, and the rates are somewhere between the Neuspeed Sports and Neuspeed Races. So something like maybe 380/250 unofficially. I think that's a little soft, but a good compromise. If I were committed to dumping any more $$$ into this car I would definitely go for that setup. Again, the setup I should have went with from jump street.

I'm too lazy to search but if you look for threads started by H23Accord in here you will find the reviews. Maybe I will post them up later. They were good threads.

Comment

I got rebound and compression numbers for the Bilstein HD's! Especially make sure to compare those numbers to those of the Koni
                          STR.t. Notice the Koni is stiffer in the front, but the Bilstein has around 3x the compression in the rear.

Comment

Keep in mind the Konis are only rebound adjustable. Interesting info for sure though.

Comment

Right, they're specified in the OP. I also added some info about rebound and compression for those that don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmoney707 View Post
                                how come people ddont drop their car the same from the front and backk?
                                The rear fender is a little lower than the front.

When the front is lowered 2.2"-2.25" and the rear is lowered 2", there will be about the same amount of gap between the tire and fender all around.

If you lower is 2" all the way around, you'll have more gap in the front than in the rear.

1999 BMW M3
                                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Working...
                                X