Alternator Overcharging..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Overcharging..

Recently I've had quite a few issues with my charging and starting. So I had the battery cables/terminals replaced along with the alternator and serpentine belts. After all was done, car started right up but the battery light then came on and stayed on. Took it by Sears Auto (complete waste of time and money), where I was told that the battery and alternator tested fine and there was nothing they could do. Then took it to Pep Boys where I was originally told one of the battery terminals wasn't tightened. They replaced, however battery light still remains on. So then they tell me what the alternator is bad and is overcharging the battery. Should I pay to have another system check done or just go ahead and replace the alternator again? I contacted the company in which I bought the new alternator from and they are wanting me to pay shipping to send it back. I would also have to pay someone to take it off and install a new one once it arrives so I will probably just buy one from Auto Zone if I do have to replace it again. Any advice please. Not currently driving the car.

If the alternator is overcharging, then the volt regulator is bad. The process of buying re-manufactured alternators usually goes this way sadly.

If you have a DMM, check voltage at idle with all loads on. If it's over 15v, replace the alternator.

Comment

Go get a free multi meter from Harborfreight and check it yourself. It'll tell you right away if it's overcharging lol.

Comment

if all the voltages are in spec, your ELD might be failing.

Comment

Autozone alternators are very hit and miss on getting a reliable one. The only way to get a good quality reman is to go with a reputable company such as Denso.

I've got a Pep Boys Alt. in my H22 that's been pretty good for about 5-6 years now though, but I did have one that the battery light kept flashing on my DD accord, so I took it back and got another and that solved it.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

So I just got back from Auto Zone where the guy tested to alternator and at idle it read either 12.7 or 13.7 volts. He said thats completely normal and the battery light must be on due to a wiring issue. Not sure where to start looking now. I guess a mechanic.

Comment

12.7-13.7 is not normal. With loads it should be 13.8-14.3. Which Autozone did you go to so I know not to go there..?

Comment

I went to the one on Buford hwy near clairmont. It's really weird. I was first told it was too high, then just right and now too low. Btw, the AC doesn't work so only the radio and park lights are on at idle. I may have the volts tested one more time. There definitely has to be a reason the battery light is on. I'm afraid to drive it.

Comment

Working...
                X