Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clucking noise when hit brakes or accelerate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clucking noise when hit brakes or accelerate.

I have a clunking noise on front right of car when i hit brakes hard or lightly and also when i accelerate. This doesn't happen all the time. There seems to be something that needs to reset or slide back. Either thru acceleration or otherwise. It is a clunking sound. It doesn't effect driving in any way it seems. It is like a big bolt is loose and sliding at times. I have had this issue for months and have tried tracking it down. Which at times i thought i had fixed. It is very annoying and makes me feel like something is about to fall apart. I have checked my front right suspension and cant find anything loose. I think it is possibly related to rotor somehow as sometimes i barely hit brakes and this sound will happen. While for acceleration it takes a bit more it seems. Any ideals are appreciated as now i just need things to check.

I'd say jack it up and take off that wheel. If something is loose enough to make a sound it will be loose enough for you to move it.

Check each of the components by grabbing them and trying to shake them around. It could be the caliper, the radius arms, the sway bar, the upper or lower ball joints, the upper or lower control arms, or a completely deteriorated bushing in just about any suspension part. It could even be a wheel bearing. To check that you try to shake the wheel before you take it off. It should not be loose.

I'd also say do this sooner rather than later. Clunks in the suspension can be a symptom of something dangerous or something that could get much more expensive if you let it go.
    Last edited by ukemike; 12-07-2018, 02:39 PM.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
      I'd say jack it up and take off that wheel. If something is loose enough to make a sound it will be loose enough for you to move it.

Check each of the components by grabbing them and trying to shake them around. It could be the caliper, the radius arms, the sway bar, the upper or lower ball joints, the upper or lower control arms, or a completely deteriorated bushing in just about any suspension part.
      I have checked all that. It can't be a bushing cause entire front suspension is basically new. New bushings and ball joints everywhere on front.

Comment

Everything? are you sure?

How about the axle, how does that look?
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
          Everything? are you sure?

How about the axle, how does that look?
          Axle was replaced on both sides about 8 months ago. I do believe it is something in the axle/rotor area. Possibly from something i did or did not do when replacing axle.

Comment

Which brand of axles? I think I remember you talking about axles a few ago.
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Check the caliper slide pins. Make sure the pads aren't moving around on the bracket. Make sure the hub to rotor bolts are tight. Were your radius rod nuts tightened correctly?
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                Which brand of axles? I think I remember you talking about axles a few ago.
                New napa axle(not reman). Checked the radius rod torque specs. I guess am going to have to take wheel off again and check those hub bolts. Could it be the wheel hub/bearing? I had my front rotors replaced like 18 months ago. Which are captive rotors but i did not replace the wheel hub when doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                  New napa axle(not reman). Checked the radius rod torque specs. I guess am going to have to take wheel off again and check those hub bolts. Could it be the wheel hub/bearing? I had my front rotors replaced like 18 months ago. Which are captive rotors but i did not replace the wheel hub when doing it.
                  The hub and bearing are separate parts; the bearing is pressed onto the hub. Bad bearings are normally manifested by squealing/squeaking, not clunking.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    Check the caliper slide pins. Make sure the pads aren't moving around on the bracket. Make sure the hub to rotor bolts are tight. Were your radius rod nuts tightened correctly?
                    While you’re in there, make sure your brake hardware is installed correctly/not missing. If the pad hardware is missing or broken, you’ll hear a thunk from the pad ear hitting the caliper regardless of speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                      While you’re in there, make sure your brake hardware is installed correctly/not missing. If the pad hardware is missing or broken, you’ll hear a thunk from the pad ear hitting the caliper regardless of speeds.
                      I really think it is in the brakes somewhere. Now i have to wait for a nice day to take them apart and see. The only pad hardware i remember are the clips. I will have to go look up an illustration. I replaced the pads about 8 months ago.

Comment

Here is a wild-ass guess:

If the pads were slightly too small and the shifted back and forth in the caliper that would make a clunk like you described. I know our cars have either akibono or nissin calipers. At our first race I bought the pads for the wrong caliper and they were too big. They would not go in. If you bought the smaller pads for the larger caliper I honestly don't know if they just plain would not fit or if they would go in but have slop.

It seems unlikely but would be easy to check.
                        ==========================
                        1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                        1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                        Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                        Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                        Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                          Here is a wild-ass guess:

If the pads were slightly too small and the shifted back and forth in the caliper that would make a clunk like you described. I know our cars have either akibono or nissin calipers. At our first race I bought the pads for the wrong caliper and they were too big. They would not go in. If you bought the smaller pads for the larger caliper I honestly don't know if they just plain would not fit or if they would go in but have slop.

It seems unlikely but would be easy to check.
                          I have akebono calipers. I just changed the pads 9 months ago with oem akebono pads. It was nice today but both of my kids were sick. Going to have to wait another week probably. That clunking is so annoying. I am trying to think what possibly i did wrong when changing them. Front left side seems to have no issues. Maybe i missed putting in a shim. Or something didn't go in right. I probably should get the clips and shims in case i am missing some stuff down there.

Comment

Something similar happened to my TL recently after a brake service.

When I would brake *clunk*, when I would accelerate *clunk*, over slightly irregular roads *clunk, clunk, clunk*. I jacked it and shook the control arms, knuckles, and ARB links that I also replaced when I performed the brake service, nothing made a noise.

I figured it must be a dead strut, nope not that either. As I was about to give up, I gave the caliper another good shake and it shifted making the *clunk* noise in the process; the lower mounting bolt had cross threaded the mounting hole, become loose and allowed the caliper to shift ever so slightly under braking *clunk* and then it would move the opposite direction under acceleration *clunk* and move about during suspension movement *clunk, clunk, clunk*. Tapped the mounting hole and installed a new bolt, no more clunk.

Give the caliper bracket bolts a check, might be the issue.
                            http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

If you still have the stock hub over rotor brakes, make sure the 4 bolts going into the bearing from the back are tight, or the 4 bolts on the front of the hub bolting to the rotor are also tight.

Aside from that, the anchor bracket to knuckle bolts could also be loose.

But you also may have a worn out slide pin. I would check for excessive play side to side when inserted into the caliper bracket. I think one of them is supposed to have a plastic or rubber grommet also, make sure that isn't missing.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X