CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Appearance

Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
iamninja28
Newcomer

iamninja28 is cool... so far.
Muffler Questions

Im looking at getting a new muffler and tip for my '93 CB7, and i just want to ask which non-fart can mufflers do you guys have and how flush do they fit with the awkwardly shaped oval hole honda left you to fill?

Im looking at an ES Sport Tuning Muffler, but i dont know which tip will complement it, so my questions is, what do you think looks nice?

(Not looking for prices or google links, just suggestions as to which mufflers and tips to look at)

Im mainly in search of a muffler that increases noise but isnt a fart can, and a tip oval enough to fit flush in the hole. Please assist!
iamninja28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
cb7pr
Southern Regional Moderator

cb7pr is cool... so far.
Invest in a good cat-back now, and you won't have to worry about mufflers. Apex'i WS2 are everything your looking for.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)
cb7pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
ExplodingCake
Noob Herder

ExplodingCake seems to have made some friends! ExplodingCake seems to have made some friends!
If you want a cheap non-noisy muffler , get OBX SP or Tsudo SP.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-20XX (Tubbs Fire Survivor)
2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017 (RIP Death by Tubbs Fire)

ExplodingCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
HardInThePaint
CB7tuner Member

HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends! HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends!
Like dude said, Apex'i WS2 is pretty sexy and if you want to stick to muffler only they have that option. I've used Magnaflow 14815 (which is a dual exhaust) and the Magnaflow 14827 on previous CB's and they worked great, I would recommend them for sure.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
According2Me610
CB7tuner Member

According2Me610 is cool... so far.
i have a magnaflow forgot what kind but its polished i have it to my stock ex pipeing a4 motor . & i must say sounds so beautiful not loud nor quite when you step on it sounds nice` i have to make a video of it .
According2Me610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
ive always liked how DTM tips fill the hole and protrude just enough, and it helps when backing into a parking spot, theyll slide up and over the parking block if you get that close

^-----That fitment isnt the best it could be

v-----more like this

Last edited by illinois_erik; 03-05-2013 at 07:22 PM.
illinois_erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
iamninja28
Newcomer

I do really like what i see with the DTM tip, its the exact look i want but ill need a muffler to go with it for the noise i want, not a fart can but something to make it purr just a bit louder and a bit deeper (if possible).

Im looking into magnaflows or once again at the ES Sport Black muffler, thanks for the help guys!

Anybody have sexy tips/mufflers please share!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
accord4me
CB7tuner Member

accord4me is cool... so far.
i picked up a wicked flow oval muffler at my exhaust shop with a newer accord looking tip. its sounds surprisingly better than i thought. now i just want my magnaflow resonator and im set.

pics and vid in my MRT
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
erk
CB7tuner Member

erk is cool... so far.
I had a Apexi ws2 on my old cd5, it gave the engine a little bit of throat without being obnoxiously loud and a slight rumble at idle
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamninja28 View Post
I do really like what i see with the DTM tip, its the exact look i want but ill need a muffler to go with it for the noise i want, not a fart can but something to make it purr just a bit louder and a bit deeper (if possible).

Im looking into magnaflows or once again at the ES Sport Black muffler, thanks for the help guys!

Anybody have sexy tips/mufflers please share!
glad you like the DTM style,, theres a lot of mufflers that have those. each has its own flavor to the tips spacing, length, kick up..these are part of the muffler they do have the tips you bolt or weld onto a regular muffler, which if going in that direction, a cheap turbo muffler would be quiet, flow well and have a little rumble to it and theyre cheap
for non fart cannage it seems to be as long as its oval about a 19" case length and not real cheap itll be alright.

This is what ive decided upon. dont forget though that you NEED a resonator upstream, im going with a SS 18 or 19" long magnaflow res and this muffler

* a catalytic converter also helps, or 2 resonators
they have them for a few different inlet sizes, im working with 3" now. the key is a quality resonator even if its like a 40" glasspack, even a ws2 would probably sound shitty w/o one

Last edited by illinois_erik; 03-08-2013 at 04:35 PM.
illinois_erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
erk
CB7tuner Member

erk is cool... so far.
Ai had a 30" cherrybomb as a res, magnaflow cat. I turned the glasspack around so the inner "levours" more or less going again the exhaust flow, sounded a little mellower with it flipped
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
mugencivic4dr
CB7tuner Member

mugencivic4dr is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7pr View Post
Apex'i WS2 are everything your looking for.
this is true
ROLL ON
ROTA'S
mugencivic4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
iamninja28
Newcomer

Alright guys, i seriously appreciate the aid an recommendation fornthe Apexi WS2, but my budget (because of a recent layoff) is $150, so if anyone knows about the bosal DTM:http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/...a00075416.html that'd be great!

Ps: installation at a shop cost $50 so im barely able to buy this at $90.

Thanks for the help though, as an amateur at car mods, im very grateful for the help.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_erik View Post
ive always liked how DTM tips fill the hole and protrude just enough, and it helps when backing into a parking spot, theyll slide up and over the parking block if you get that close

That's what I have on my car. Cheap muffler-shop special that is now about a decade old. Fairly loud, but it looks great!

Bosal makes decent stuff, I believe. Never had any of their products myself (unless that's what mine is... I honestly don't know what brand it is.)
Still, a quiet system is going to need multiple resonators and a very large canister. The smaller the canister, the louder it will be. Since it sounds like you'll be retaining stock piping and resonators, that will help a bit. Of course, you'll be doing this for looks and sound only... no performance gains will come of it.

I'd suggest NOT buying from andysautosport. They've screwed a number of people on this site in the past. They're a terrible company.

Hit up your local muffler shop and see what performance mufflers they have. They might have a generic piece like mine for $50.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

SOHC-FTW seems to have made some friends!
IMO if you're going to spend $50 get a obx muffler, not bad at all with a cat and res.

02 Crv
02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
Dyesuperman
CB7tuner Member

Dyesuperman is cool... so far.
Vibrant mufflers are pretty great and come in a dual tip that would fit the opening perfectly. They are a bit more expensive though, however, the build quality makes up for it
Dyesuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
iamninja28
Newcomer

Once again, thanks for the help! I will avoid andysautosport, but i saw the Bosal DTM on a Prelude yesterday and i asked the guy about it, he loved it and it sounded beautiful. Noise wise about the muffler, i dont want a rice look, but if it has noise, as long as its not headache causing i dont care.

But once again, thanks for the aid guys!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Are you retaining the stock piping? If so, then the noise will be limited. You'll have the small piping, stock cat, and stock resonators working in your favor. It'll be louder than the stock muffler, but it shouldn't be obnoxious. If you do a full catback as I did (2.5" for my H22), with just one fairly small resonator... it will be noisy. Back in 2005, my girlfriend at the time got so fed up with the noise that she bought me a resonator for my birthday!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
iamninja28
Newcomer

^now thats a loving girlfriend.

And I'm just refitting a muffler on the stock pipe, i mainly want the look, not the sound. But because i have $1000 worth of Kenwoods in my car engine noise is irrelevant, as i wouldn't hear it anyway.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
RustyBucket
CB7tuner Member

RustyBucket is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Are you retaining the stock piping? If so, then the noise will be limited. You'll have the small piping, stock cat, and stock resonators working in your favor. It'll be louder than the stock muffler, but it shouldn't be obnoxious.
My experience matches that... I'm running an APEX'i WS2 on my stock piping and to me it sounds quite similar in volume and tone to a stock 350Z or G35.

Going to a WS2 from stock muffler increased the sound level by about the same amount that throwing a cone filter on the intake did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_erik View Post
Yup, I've hit a couple concrete blocks or snowbanks with the muffler... probably contributed to my needing a new flexpipe last month

Tags
honda , muffler , noise , oval , recommend

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: