CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
blamecanada
Newcomer

blamecanada is cool... so far.
f22a4 with f22a1 head

Was driving the other day and my accord jumped timing shortly after it stopped running trying to limp it home . Pull off valve cover, cam is broke after cyl 1 2 3 and 4 dead (rip). Asked around found a motor (f22a1) for 50$ I want to take head off f22a1 and use on my f22a4 block/intake/dist/etc everything else a4 just a1 head will it work.

Last edited by blamecanada; 08-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.
blamecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
The A1 head will bolt directly onto your block. Use the exhaust manifold from the A4 it will give you roughly 5hp with the downpipe. It was a much better designed 4-2-1 bent steel manifold as opposed to a cast iron manifold found on the A1.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
blamecanada
Newcomer

Thank you so much for taking the time to ckear that up for me ive been sitting here in the garage waiting for a reply before I started the swap incase I needed something I didnt have or it wouldnt work. I think reading the a1 to a6 swap scared me having to use diff intk dist ecu etc. But again thanks man
Old 08-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The head and block castings for all F22A engines are 100% identical.
As mentioned, the F22A1 and F22A4 are exactly the same in every way (down to the ECU, even) aside from the exhaust manifold. Put an F22A4 exhaust manifold on an F22A1, and you have an F22A4. (hence the reason we can say with certainty that the manifold gives a 5hp gain, since it is the only difference between the engines, and the F22A4 makes 130hp, whereas the F22A1 makes 125hp.)

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
blamecanada
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The head and block castings for all F22A engines are 100% identical.
As mentioned, the F22A1 and F22A4 are exactly the same in every way (down to the ECU, even) aside from the exhaust manifold. Put an F22A4 exhaust manifold on an F22A1, and you have an F22A4. (hence the reason we can say with certainty that the manifold gives a 5hp gain, since it is the only difference between the engines, and the F22A4 makes 130hp, whereas the F22A1 makes 125hp.)

Right on thank you very much again last question... wich set of head bolts should I use? Thr ones mated with the a1 on the blown motor or the ones mater with my a4 head and block?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
They're identical.
However, you should buy new. Head bolts are made to stretch, and you don't want to re-use 25 year old bolts. Buy new bolts from Honda, or if you want to get fancy, get some ARP head studs made for an H23A1 (that would be overkill, though... unless you planned on a major build, or you intend to take your engine apart multiple times, as the studs can be reused, unlike the factory bolts.)

Old 08-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Also, though you may know this already... be sure to verify that the replacement head is 100% straight. Taking it to a machine shop to be cleaned up wouldn't be a bad idea. When you install the new bolts, be sure to follow the correct order, and torque them to proper specs. It doesn't take much to warp these aluminum heads.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
f22ax_Rocks
CB7tuner Member

f22ax_Rocks is cool... so far.
And if u want a bit more headache and slight umph u can add a6 complete manifold because it has iabs or go h23 plenium with f22a6 runners. Wiring and vac box will be needed from the donor along with ecu to control iabs. Also can from a6, camshaft, valve springs, and windage tray. Just my thought since your head is off
f22ax_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accord , f22a1 , f22a4 , head , honda

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: