Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

how much hp can an f22a manual transmission handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much hp can an f22a manual transmission handle?

Hey, new to this forum. I'm 95% sure i'm buying a 1993 Accord coupe tomorrow that has an f22a tranny and f22b engine. My intentions are to buy it and do an H23 vtec swap on it, but will that 197hp be too much for the f22a tranny to handle? Would i need to get a stronger transmission for a swap like that or should the transmission be good?The tranny has a new clutch, new bearings and 165k miles if that info is needed.
    And if it is strong enough for the swap, how much hp through mods could i put until the tranny breaks down? I was hoping to mod it up to 275ish...
    Thanks so much!

Probably upwards of 400 hp for a daily. Most accord/prelude transmissions are built the same minus the ratios. Yes, it can handle your power goals

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Honestly, I don't think anyone on our high horsepower list is using anything more than a stock transmission. The stock transmissions can handle more power than pretty much anyone will ever be able to use effectively on the street. At most, they'll need new synchros.

Comment

At approximately 700+ H and F transmissions typically need a cuff if the car hooks well. A cuff eliminates 5th gear and holds the main shaft and the counter shaft together instead of letting them separate. With tremendous power the shafts actually push against each other and eventually push apart resulting in "stripped gears" for lack of a better term.

Other then that they stay together as far as I know.

In other words I wouldn't worry about pushing the transmission past it's limits. It's very unlikely to happen. And not going to happen at your HP goals.

Comment

Glad to know that they can withstand some power

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
            At approximately 700+ H and F transmissions typically need a cuff if the car hooks well. A cuff eliminates 5th gear and holds the main shaft and the counter shaft together instead of letting them separate. With tremendous power the shafts actually push against each other and eventually push apart resulting in "stripped gears" for lack of a better term.

Other then that they stay together as far as I know.

In other words I wouldn't worry about pushing the transmission past it's limits. It's very unlikely to happen. And not going to happen at your HP goals.
            Seen one of these, was very cool to see. But DAM, if you don't have 5th you are on the track only as highway speeds would be pretty ridiculous with a H22 tranny in 4th.

Comment

youll start snapping axles before the transmission detonates.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                youll start snapping axles before the transmission detonates.
                not to thread jack or anything but for ease of information all in one thread and what not, does anyone know of any place that sells upgraded axles?

Comment

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...d/cb-1990-1993

http://www.gatorracingaxles.com/index.php

Comment

Working...
                  X