CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 06-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #1
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

Bailey_CatDaddy is cool... so far.
Aluminum knuckles

Has anyone converted to a newer Honda knuckle?

I thought the 03~+ TL and TSX were aluminum? I mainly wonder if the axle hub spline is the same.
Bailey_CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
No. I wouldn't think any other knuckle would match ours.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
Having just changed lower ball joints on my '04 TL I can assure you that it has cast iron knuckles, and lower control arms. The RL's have full aluminum knuckles but I don't think they would work without all of the other associated parts.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
You'd have to retrofit quite a bit. As mentioned, the '05-'12 RL uses aluminum front knuckles, but the outer CVs would have to be swapped, and a custom lower control arm solution would have to be adopted, as a minimum. In addition, the different shape could necessitate longer or shorter axle shafts, you'll need a custom outer tie rod solution (likely just use RLs, but they may not be long enough for proper thread engagement) and the upper ball joint taper hole could be different (though I don't think it is). Once this was done, you'd have a front lug pattern of 5x120 and a rear of either 4x114.3 or 5x114.3, depending on whether you were converted.

There are other cars out there with aluminum front knuckles, but that's your basic formula of seeing if they'll fit.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #5
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

Thank you everyone for the info. It was extremely helpful! I honestly donít think aluminum knuckles would do that much for the car I was just curious because I am planning on doing 5 lug front eventually/soon. But I know a TL type S with brembos is coming my way soon as well so I am holding out!

My car so far handles great I just want any extra edge I can get! Ha ha ha
Old 07-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

ukemike is cool... so far.
I'm not sure that the Brembos will do much for you other than look cool and force you to use larger wheels. The stock calipers are perfectly adequate for stopping the car in about every imaginable condition. In fact with some race fluid and race pads they will stand up to endurance racing just fine. The larger wheels will add way more unsprung weight that will be saved by the aluminum calipers. The larger wheels also add rotational mass.

My Acura TL will be arriving at a picknpull somewhere here in the bay area soon. It had brembos and a 6-speed with an LSD. If you're local to here be on the lookout for an '06 TL manual soon.
Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid
ukemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:30 AM   #7
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukemike View Post
I'm not sure that the Brembos will do much for you other than look cool and force you to use larger wheels. The stock calipers are perfectly adequate for stopping the car in about every imaginable condition. In fact with some race fluid and race pads they will stand up to endurance racing just fine. The larger wheels will add way more unsprung weight that will be saved by the aluminum calipers. The larger wheels also add rotational mass.

My Acura TL will be arriving at a picknpull somewhere here in the bay area soon. It had brembos and a 6-speed with an LSD. If you're local to here be on the lookout for an '06 TL manual soon.
**Streets of Willow

Well, funny story. I went to the track Saturday, 106*F outside peak. But it was an evening event so temps got lower as the day progressed. A guy at the track said that I already have wagon front brakes, (neat!). And I actually didn’t get too much fade, using dot 4 and non-race pads! It was kind of surprising, considering that they are pretty small.

I use 235/45-17 Federal 595 RS-R (140/200AA) on 17x8 +48 wheels.
Ended up running a 1:36.081. That’s less than half a second off the pace of the Honda S2000 CR being driven by a professional test driver when it was released!

The best part is that I still have A/C, power steering, etc. Stock intake, stock header, stock catalytic converter.

Mods include: a catback exhaust, camber kits, polyurethane bushings on the rear Lowers, and a very large prelude front sway bar with a progress rear sway bar.

Couldn’t have been more pleased! And since the brakes did work so well, the thought of an upgrade is completely unnecessary.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Obviously you haven’t read the posts above. All your questions have already been answered.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
Obviously you havenít read the posts above. All your questions have already been answered.

If you re read my post I was confirming that in fact, for Racing you really donít need brembos.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member

G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Yupp & even just switching out your stock lines for steel braided lines
will do a great improvement!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:19 AM   #11
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
The 03 CL knuckle bolts right onto our CB7s. I did my 5 lug swap this way. But you'll need a minimum of a 16" wheel to clear the 11.8" rotors it has. Also you would have to use the CL brackets to make the caliper work.

I've got Legend GS/LS 2 piston calipers using CL brackets.

Lower balljoint fits, as does our OEM axles into the splines of the CL hub/bearing assembly.

Your alignment will be way off when you first install also, so that'll need to get adjusted immediately after the swap. But i'm having no drivability problems after going this route. 99-03 TL and 01-03 CL use the same knuckles in front and can be swapped right over.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
99' Lexus LS400 148k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
97' Lexus LS400 298k.....selling soon
96' Honda Odyssey 196k miles...$485 spare van for my parents
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #12
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
For that matter, the '98-'02 Accord V6 uses the same knuckles, hubs and bearings, as well. The difference just being the rotor and caliper bracket attached to it. The rotor on the TL/CL is an 11.8" disc, and the '98-'02 Accord is 11.1".
Old 10-02-2019, 01:33 AM   #13
Bailey_CatDaddy
Newcomer

Thank for all of the clarification. I was at the junkyard today looking at the cars and I looked at the legends, a CL, a CB and a vigor and was thinking that it looked like theyíd all bolt right in almost! Thanks for clarifying which ones actually do!
Old 10-02-2019, 01:49 AM   #14
Jarrett
Contributing Member

The Legend is a no-go. The hub splines are not the same as the CB axles, nor are there any compatible hubs that match the Legend bearing ID that I've found. Also, the lower ball joints are the larger units also found on the Preludes and newer Accords/TLs/TSXs. You'd have to ream out your lower control arm to match the larger size joint. Could be good for performance (I've done it), but not drop-an-go.

The Vigor is the exact same thing as the CB, so no advantage there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: