CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
zedjr10
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 849
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Rear lower control arm question?

I am replacing the rear control arms on left side. Upon taking out the one farthermost to rear of car i noticed a little metal sleeve on the bushing sticking out about a centimeter that makes it fit nice and snug into knuckle. My replacement mevotech part has no such sleeve sticking out on bushing and no such spot in the bushing for a sleeve to be inserted. Does this matter anyone think? so if i install the new mevotech arm the bushing will just have to lay flush against knuckle. Anyone thinks this will matter?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
Jarrett
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,454
Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
It won't affect anything. It's just to allow the arm to stay in place on the knuckle so that the long bolt can be installed. Once that bolt is through, that locator sleeve isn't doing anything anymore.
__________________
My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:13 AM   #3
zedjr10
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 849
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
It won't affect anything. It's just to allow the arm to stay in place on the knuckle so that the long bolt can be installed. Once that bolt is through, that locator sleeve isn't doing anything anymore.
yeah just learned that trying to put the mevotech arms on with no sleeve. PITFA. Something so simple took me hours. Next side will be easier. I understand the bolt cam lobes now on forward lower control arm. Both lobes face same way so it can move back and forth while lobes push and pull against teh sides of that slot it is in. Good shit to know. Now i know how to change my rear toe. Next is right side.

Last edited by zedjr10; 09-23-2019 at 03:04 AM.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 2,806
fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
I understand the cam lobes now on forward lower control arm. Both lobes face same way so it can move back and forth while lobes push and pull against teh sides of that slot it is in. Good shit to know. Now i know how to change my rear camber. Next is right side.
That adjustment is for rear toe, it moves the forward end of the bottom of the knuckle relative to the rear; it has little or no affect on camber. Only way to change camber is to install an adjustable upper arm. Camber can be increased in the positive direction by installing shims (washers) between the inner end of the upper arm and the body.
__________________
90 LX 4dr 5 spd 382,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
92 EX coupe auto 196,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341 Sold 11/11/19
07 Element EX AWD 183,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623

INVENTORY REDUCTION! LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:03 AM   #5
zedjr10
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 849
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
That adjustment is for rear toe, it moves the forward end of the bottom of the knuckle relative to the rear; it has little or no affect on camber. Only way to change camber is to install an adjustable upper arm. Camber can be increased in the positive direction by installing shims (washers) between the inner end of the upper arm and the body.
sorry misspoke. Thanks for correcting that. Am doing other side today. Now that i understand it i don't think i will be taking 6 to 8 hours to do a seemingly simple job. I almost installed the forward one with lobes opposing each other. Am glad i took the time to understand this stuff.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
fleetw00d
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 2,806
fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
I would start off with them centered, then get an alignment when everything is back together.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 424
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
String alignment is a pretty easy way to DIY alignment.

I did it right before taking it to my buddy's shop & I was
very close to where it should be.
__________________
Keep Pushing..
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
zedjr10
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 849
zedjr10 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
I would start off with them centered, then get an alignment when everything is back together.
so my spec chart sais rear toe can be between 0.00 to 0.20. What is the ideal toe settings? I never thought a little rear toe would affect driving but i can see the difference after replacing these rear lower control arms. My toe before was left 0.00 and right was 0.20. I am going to adjust it myself at the alignment shop and wanted to know the best settings which i am sort of assuming it is 0.10 but i am also wondering if the spec is suppose to be negative toe also like -0.20 which it doesn't show.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 424
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Per Honda Dealership:

Rear Camber Specified Range: -1.0 0.0

Rear Toe Specified Range: 0.00 0.16

Total Toe Specified Range: 0.00 0.32
__________________
Keep Pushing..
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 424
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
so my spec chart sais rear toe can be between 0.00 to 0.20. What is the ideal toe settings? I never thought a little rear toe would affect driving but i can see the difference after replacing these rear lower control arms. My toe before was left 0.00 and right was 0.20. I am going to adjust it myself at the alignment shop and wanted to know the best settings which i am sort of assuming it is 0.10 but i am also wondering if the spec is suppose to be negative toe also like -0.20 which it doesn't show.
Nope because you want the rear toed out more than in if anything for stability so toe should not be negative numbers.
__________________
Keep Pushing..
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.