Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Crankshaft Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshaft Removal

Does anyone have any information on how to remove the crankshaft? I've looked around on the Interwebs and couldn't find anything relevant.

I can't seem to get the crankshaft gear off. I don't know if i have to remove the key first then the gear slides off. The Hayens manual doesn't give a clear picture on how to remove it. It just says to pry the gear with two screw drivers but that's about it.

This also goes for the oil pump. It seems the crankshaft gear is in the way of removing it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

remove the key first and it should slide off.
    COUPE K24

Comment

^ Yep. Remove the woodruff key and the gear comes off rather easily.
      If it is seriously seized up and wont come off even with the key removed, then hit it with some heat from a torch and gently pry from the back of the gear.

Edit. And to be clear, the gear comes straight off the shaft. May take some prying, but there isn't anything else holding it on there.
      Last edited by Jon; 07-25-2017, 12:12 AM.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Man i thought this was some kind of petition to get me banned.

PB blaster is your friend, as is assembly lube and plastigauge. I am not sure if you already own a torque wrench but i would invest in one, a personal trick to avoid leaving bolts loose is to get a paint marker and mark each bolt as you go thru the final sequence;

Also take pictures, lots and lots of pictures; a box of sandwich bags to keep bolts/nuts together and labeled is a life saver.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

A petition to get you banned? Nah, I think would be a lot more sneaky about it.

417HondaNoob, any luck getting it off?
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            A petition to get you banned? Nah, I think would be a lot more sneaky about it.

417HondaNoob, any luck getting it off?
            Yeah i got it off. I did have to pry the gear with a screw driver. Just had to smack it with a hammer to get it wedge in.

So everything is ready for the machine shop.

Comment

Originally posted by 417HondaNoob View Post
              Yeah i got it off. I did have to pry the gear with a screw driver. Just had to smack it with a hammer to get it wedge in.

So everything is ready for the machine shop.
              I also forgot a brass hammer and dead blow hammer will be usefull especially the latter to re install the pistons. Keep camshafts hanging to keep from warping, as the heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                I also forgot a brass hammer and dead blow hammer will be usefull especially the latter to re install the pistons. Keep camshafts hanging to keep from warping, as the heads.
                Ive got the camshaft laying on the head. Do i need the crankshaft to be on the block so it wont warp?

Comment

Originally posted by 417HondaNoob View Post
                  Ive got the camshaft laying on the head. Do i need the crankshaft to be on the block so it wont warp?
                  You can use hangers and hang it as well, we used to get screamed at for laying either one for anything other than measuring. IF you are gonna be taking measurements to check for wear, you have to measure at three different positions; imagine you are trying to divide the circumference into 6 equal parts. This method is used on Cam, Crank and although most folks don't I use it to measure tapering on cylinder walls with the exception that on cylinders you measure about an inch from top and bottom. Lube cylinders once honed and wwhile engine appart to keep oxidation from forming and clean using lint free rags and brake cleaner. Unless our teacher was just a cautious nut this is what we did for about 3 months, better safe than sorry I guess. Once rods are on pistons he advised to keep from leaving rod laying again cylinder skirt; pretty much leaving them at 90 angle to piston. Sorry if I can't remember everything verbatim buts it's been a decade.

Comment

Working...
                  X