Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ignition or alternator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition or alternator???

Hey guys whats good? I have a problem with my 93 honda....it wont start!!!! When I put the key in the ignition it just wont turn over. Do you think I have a problem with the starter? Ignition? or Alternator? Doesnt seem that Its loosing power, it just wont turn over. Help me please! Thanks!

does it make any sounds? did u try to jump the car?

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
      does it make any sounds? did u try to jump the car?
      Yes I did try to jump the car but it still didnt turn over. It makes the sound liike it wants to crank up but it just doesnt go all the way. As a matter of fact the car actually started then it was about 20 30 seconds later it just cut off so when I went back in to start the car thats when it stopped turning over.

Comment

does it crank over and not start or just doesnt crank at all?

my new turbo build

Comment

does it crank over and not start or just doesnt crank at all?
          it cranks over but it will not start

Comment

ok now we are getting some were.check to see if ur getting gas.then check for spark. let me know what happens.

my new turbo build

Comment

ok now we are getting some were.check to see if ur getting gas.then check for spark. let me know what happens.
              Not near my car but I have noticed that I smell something like gas after I try to crank it up. Everything turns on lights and all the when you crank the car it gives that sound but not vrooom...not a spark nothing

Comment

Originally posted by beatzbydarkness View Post
                Not near my car but I have noticed that I smell something like gas after I try to crank it up. Everything turns on lights and all the when you crank the car it gives that sound but not vrooom...not a spark nothing
                so ur not getting spark?and by spark i mean from spark plug.take the spark plug out. put it in the wireand put it near the negative termanil have a friend turn the car over. if there is a pulsing line of electricity then u are getting spark if not then theres ur problem.

my new turbo build

Comment

try push starting it (if you have a manual)
                  Originally posted by Quashish
                  Holy crap thats a clean F series. jellish mang.
                  Quashish dictionary
                  Jellish: (adjective) Jel-%i'sh+#
                  To envy something to point of almost blowing a load involuntarily.

Comment

So it turns over. If it cranks, it turns over. It's just not starting.

If the engine didn't move at all, then I'd suggest that you have something broken inside.

If it just won't start, then there are a number of things that it could be.

First make sure your battery is charged. Clean your battery cables, and make sure they are tight. Check all ground wires, and be sure they're all clean and attached securely.

Those things are free to check, and free to fix in most cases.

Next, listen for the fuel pump. Does it prime when you try to start the car? Pull a spark plug out, crank the car, and smell for gas. If you smell gas and can hear the pump, then it is without a doubt working. You just ruled out a fueling issue... the fuel pump and main relay are good. If you don't hear the pump and smell fuel, then look into replacing the main relay under the dash. It's most likely the cause of a no-fuel problem. The fuel pumps aren't common failures yet.

If fuel checks out, then look into spark. Common no-spark culprits are the ignition coil and igniter. The igniter is inside the distributor. The coil may be inside, or external... depending on which model you have. If you have a 5th spark plug wire that isn't going to a spark plug, it's going to an external coil. If you only have 4 spark plug wires, the coil is inside. (edit... just re-read and saw you said you have a 93. Unless something was changed, you have an external coil)
                    These items aren't extremely cheap, so I often go to a junkyard and grab one or two of each for a few bucks... I've always had luck, but the chances of getting bad ones are pretty good... so it's a gamble.
                    If these things don't fix it, then the distributor itself may be bad. Again, this isn't all that common.

The alternator only charges the battery. If you drive your car and it suddenly dies, and you find that the battery is dead... THAT is a dead alternator. If your battery is charged, the alternator is fine.

Comment

Thank you all for the help I greatly appreciate it. I have my car at a safe place now so I will be trying all of your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                      X