Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

The Smell of Burning Oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Smell of Burning Oil...

Hello! I have a 1993 Honda Accord. a few weeks ago I would notice if I turned the heater on I would smell burning oil. Then I opened my hood and oil was everywhere. So I changes the Valve Cover Gaskets. I then went to the car wash got some engine cleaner, and got all of the oil I could off of the engine. Now I notice that when I am at a light or just idle, a cloud of smoke comes out of the sides of the hood. I opened the hood again and notice alot of smoke coming from the bottom of the engine or the sides. Not too sure because this was done at night with a flash light. The smell of burning oil isn't as heavy as it was before I changed the valve gaskets, but I can smell it and the smoke gets pretty thick at time. Can anyone help me and tell me what else I need to check for? Im sorry if a thread such as this has already been created, but I did search before posting. Thanks in advance!

Could be:

Front main seal
    Rear main seal
    Balance shaft seal
    Oil pan gasket
    Camshaft seal

others may have other ideas.

Put some cardboard under the car and let it run to try and isolate where the oil is coming from.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Okay cool will do that this weekend! Let it run for about 15 minutes maybe? By what is on the cardboard when finish should i be able to tell what is leaking?

Comment

It would at least give you an idea of where the oil is leaking from.

EDIT: also keep an eye on your oil level. Obviously.
        Last edited by mtnbikaah; 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

If your car is an EX Automatic, there is an oil cooler between the block and filter. A gasket is between the block and the cooler seems to be a common leakage point. Fixed mine about a year ago, the part was only like 5$-6$ at the dealership and was a 5 minute job to replace. Did have to buy a new socket to get it off, its a large size but don't recall what size. You will want to replace this before it gets too bad, you won't want that seal to fail.

Comment

Working...
          X