CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Bravo-man
CB7tuner Member

Bravo-man is cool... so far.
eating oil!!

Well i have been trying to find the reason why my CB is eating a quart of oil every five hundred miles. My compression seems fine and i can not find any leaks so i was going to try to put new valve seals. What do you think about superteck valve seals or should i just go OEM? Oh i what other thing can cause my motor to go through that much oil? Thanks
Bravo-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
batever
CB7tuner Member

batever is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo-man View Post
Well i have been trying to find the reason why my CB is eating a quart of oil every five hundred miles. My compression seems fine and i can not find any leaks so i was going to try to put new valve seals. What do you think about superteck valve seals or should i just go OEM? Oh i what other thing can cause my motor to go through that much oil? Thanks
if you have ruled out an external engine leak, it can be burning in the cylinders. This would be caused by worn piston rings or, I think, poor or burnt valve seals .
batever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
It could also be due to leaky spark plug tube seals. Check to see if your plugs are covered in oil. ALWAYS investigate simple solutions before jumping to more complicated and expensive conclusions!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
esskater892
CB7tuner Member

esskater892 is cool... so far.
have you messed with the oil filter at all recently? i actually found mine to not be so tight and its reduced the comsumption a good bit. also i have replaced my tube seals but it didnt work so i think i have something else wrong. possible warped valve cover or something.

93se
Members Ride
Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock
esskater892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Bravo-man
CB7tuner Member

Yea deever that is all new with my a6 cam swap. Do you think those valve seals will work or go with oem ones? And then if that is not the problem think it will be the rings even thou it is holding compression.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I've never done valve seals, so I can't say from experience... However, OEM is always the best choice in most cases.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

SOHC-FTW seems to have made some friends!
Whats the actual PSI per cylinder?

02 Crv
02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
madmattr6
Newcomer

madmattr6 is cool... so far.
If the valve seals were the issue blue smoke would be coming out the tail pipe...
madmattr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Bravo-man
CB7tuner Member

I'm getting around 155 per cylinder +- 10 psi, I am not getting any smoke out of tail pipe. So now I don't know what to try just want it not to eat or burn any more oil.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

SOHC-FTW seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo-man View Post
I'm getting around 155 per cylinder +- 10 psi, I am not getting any smoke out of tail pipe. So now I don't know what to try just want it not to eat or burn any more oil.
Perform a leak down test?Compression doesn't seem that bad off, but a leak down will tell you far more.Check main seals?I think you'd see an oil leak if its losing that much.

02 Crv
02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Bravo-man
CB7tuner Member

Ok,will do. Hope it's some thing small cause I'm still saving for my euro-r motor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: