Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problems

ok guys i've tried everything i can think of and i've researched everywhere.

i blew a head gasket about a month ago and when i parked the car it would start, and run fine. Well after replacing the head gasket and all. Resetting the timing and making sure everything was buttoned up. i go to start it and it has no fire to the spark plugs. I tested the coil and it was fine, then i replaced the distributor and still no fire.

What could this be? I have gone thru so many trial and errors i just resorted to this for some info. If you can help please let me know.

I have a 93 lx just fyi

thanks

photoshop master!

did the new distributor come with an ignitor? if so, test that.

make sure all grounds are clean and tight. make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. make sure all your wires are in good condition (your coil wire especially. the coil may be good, but if it has no power going to it, it wont work.)

make sure your battery is fully charged. a weak battery can power your interior accessories, but still not be strong enough to start the car. ive dealt wiht that myself

Comment

^yup. I would try a new battery. I had one that tested fine and would start other cars but not mine. Also it couldnt hurt to check the main relay. Just to be thourough.

"Good judgement comes from experience,
      alot of that comes from bad judgment"

Comment

Originally posted by madmattr6
        No post whoring in here..lol

Slugger- you said the head gasket blew? But didn't mention if you had repaired it or not.
        is the engine turning over at all?
        dude, he totally did say he replaced the head gasket. cant you read? or do you not read before replying.

Comment

MUH bad I read it too fast..what I meant to ask was did you repair the gasket correctly?
          Like milling the head.

Comment

Originally posted by madmattr6 View Post
            MUH bad I read it too fast..what I meant to ask was did you repair the gasket correctly?
            Like milling the head.
            Wouldn't give a reason to not have a spark.

Check for codes

Make sure the thermostat ground is tight
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by PG92LX View Post
              did the new distributor come with an ignitor? if so, test that.

make sure all grounds are clean and tight. make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. make sure all your wires are in good condition (your coil wire especially. the coil may be good, but if it has no power going to it, it wont work.)

make sure your battery is fully charged. a weak battery can power your interior accessories, but still not be strong enough to start the car. ive dealt wiht that myself
              i should've said i got a used distributor. So im guessing its also bad. I've checked all my grounds and all are tight. All wires are good, and their is power to the coil. I even borrowed a coil to see if that was the problem. (this was a new coil) it acted totally different with the old coil. Oh and i checked the main relay. It's fine. The thermostat ground is also good and snug.

Im going to swap distributors tomorrow and hopefully ill get a good one. Im on a tight budget at the moment so i cant just order a new distributor.

thanks for the help guys. Ill update tomorrow sometime if everything goes well.

and to madmatt, it was installed properly. I had it resurfaced and pressure tested. Me and a mechanic put it back together so i know it was done right!
              Last edited by slugger2218; 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM.

photoshop master!

Comment

ok guys got the new (used) distributor today and since every one i get happens to be bad i had this one tested. well it tested good. so i took it home and still no fire. i've tried 3 different distributors and 2 coil packs. i guess im going to pull the main relay again and check for any cracks.

but when i installed this new distributor the rpm gauge started bouncing from 0 to 1500. i dont know what this means. any insight on what this could be from? it seems like its trying to fire but wont. i know its not a fuel problem. so it may be the main relay.

any ideas please tell.

thanks

photoshop master!

Comment

Working...
                X