Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: D.I.Y. BLACK GRILL (the cheap way to get a nice black aftermarket looking grill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: D.I.Y. BLACK GRILL (the cheap way to get a nice black aftermarket looking grill)

• 1 cb7 grill
    • 1 sheet of fine coarse sandpaper( i prefer wet less messy)
    • 1 phillips screw driver
    • 1 hacksaw blade
    • 1 fine file
    • 1 can of flat black paint(you can use what ever color you want. i like the flat black look.)

it's really easy. first, you remove your grill with the phillips screw driver. second, remove honda symbol, it'll get in the way of cutting later on. third, get your hacksaw blade and hacksaw all around the grill. fourth, remove any rough edges with the fine file. fifth, lightly sand your grill enough so paint can't stick. not to much because then you will see over the paint. sixth, wash grill to get all the filings off it and then air dry or let sit for awhile to dry. seventh, take your painting skills to work. ( i put about three coats on mine and it was enough.)

phillips and fine file

removed honda symbol and hacksaw blade ready for step 3

the after look of the grill with nothing inside

the results after a few hours of work.(a few hours because of the waiting of the paint to dry. if it looks good with 1 coat then about 45 mins.

feel free to and any ideas to the post. that why we are here to learn from each other. i thought about a mesh background but i don't want worry about it getting messed up and having to replace it later.

MOVING TO BACK FLORIDA IN 2 WEEKS. CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK OVER THERE.

yo ! i'd try a couple more light coats for longevity ( snow . salt ), and if you're cb is black i think a some clearcoat would make it look even better .
    good diy !

i'm doin this for my 9293

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
    - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

UPDATE (grill on car)

it finally dried enough for me to put on the car. here are some pics.

it is bent i little do to an accident i had.(if you see the dent bends my hood a little bit.)

thanks for any ideas to make this do it yourself better guys. khal.lawson the color of my car is like a light grey metallic. that true about the salt didn't think about that one thanks man.
      Last edited by 93 LX COUPE; 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 LX COUPE View Post
        it finally dried enough for me to put on the car. here are some pics.

it is bent i little do to an accident i had.(if you see the dent bends my hood a little bit.)

thanks for any ideas to make this do it yourself better guys. khal.lawson the color of my car is like a light grey metallic. that true about the salt didn't think about that one thanks man.

NICE . lol . except for the hood dent , but do what needs fixin first cuh !
        it looks good though man . once again .

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
        - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

gutter mesh..other than that and filling in the gap looks nice
          Originally posted by chessboxer
          We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
          Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

and another one

not too bad..

needs mesh..
            =]

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

looks nice but you need to take care of that bottom cut out part with bondo or some filler,then sand it down and paint.

Comment

Thanks for the DIY man! I took the steps you said to take but now I want to put a mesh in the grille. Should I put it behind the chrome frame or behind the grille itself...Any suggestions??? -JOSH-

Comment

Originally posted by JDM white cb7 View Post
                  Thanks for the DIY man! I took the steps you said to take but now I want to put a mesh in the grille. Should I put it behind the chrome frame or behind the grille itself...Any suggestions??? -JOSH-
                  behind the chrome frame. so that when you put the screws back on you can stretch the mesh out to get a nice tight fit.

Comment

Whats goin on man! I was planning to customize my OEM grille and make it look like yours but I cant find the mesh I want. I need help!

I've already been to home depot and local auto parts but cant find it. Any suggestions?
                    1990 Accord EX

Comment

did u ask for gutter mesh. i really didn't put the mesh because i'm waiting to find find one of those custom bentley look a likes in the jy. that looks ten times better than mesh. as soon as i do it i'll post pics

Comment

they sell these on ebay now just fyi

Be Clean

Comment

Originally posted by nostringz View Post
                          they sell these on ebay now just fyi
                          they sell everything on ebay now. what's your point? It's a DIY. He wanted to do it and he did. He also decided to share it with us cuz he is proud of it and didn't just go to ebay to buy one. Where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by 93 LX COUPE View Post
                            did u ask for gutter mesh. i really didn't put the mesh because i'm waiting to find find one of those custom bentley look a likes in the jy. that looks ten times better than mesh. as soon as i do it i'll post pics
                            Cool! I'll try that! Thanks for the help!
                            1990 Accord EX

Comment

did you sand over the "silver plastic trim" or just painted over it ?

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X