Job search website recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job search website recommendations?

As many of you may know, I'm back in school... which means I'll be on the hunt for a new job once I'm finished. I'm not looking for a new job now, as I won't be done school until next May. However, I want to start looking around to see what sort of jobs are popping up in my area. Get my finger on the pulse of the current market, if you will!

I'm looking for advice on websites to watch that I may have overlooked. I'm not looking for anything in particular, so anything is good... government, corporate, non-profit, whatever... I'm getting an MBA, which can apply to damn near anything.

So far, I'm keeping an eye on:
    Monster
    CareerBuilder
    Indeed
    USA Jobs
    Glassdoor
    LinkedIn (I've been tweaking my profile... hoping it leads to something in the future!)
    Craigslist
    Local government sites
    State government sites
    State-run sites listing non-government positions (which just seem to be re-listing Monster and/or Craigslist postings...)
    I also occasionally visit the sites of specific companies to see what is available... quite a few big national/international corporations are located in my area.

I know I likely have most of the major bases covered, but I figure there has to be something out there that I've missed. Help me out if you know of anything good that's not on this list!

maybe see if there are any industry-specific web communities that have a "jobs" category? like in terms of software development, Stack Overflow is apparently a big spot to find positions, where on the front end it is nothing more than a Q&A site, but apparently there is a big pool of employers looking for people.

Or maybe a local area-based website. I know Colorado has at least a few "local" business development and job listing websites, I would assume NJ does as well.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I doubt you are considering hospitality but I know a couple department managers at work have an MBA. hcareers.com

Comment

I also assume some larger newspapers would have an online classifieds version of their job listings as well.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Sometimes the phone works, depending on how small the company is.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Sometimes the phone works, depending on how small the company is.
            That's the next step, though. Right now, I'm just looking to get an idea of the types of jobs available. Calling around would be a tedious way of doing that, and I'd be wasting the time of the person on the other end!

I keep forgetting the local newspaper websites. Some of them I think want you to subscribe to the paper, but others are free.
            Industry specific stuff might be the next step. Hospitality definitely isn't something I'm terribly interested in (though I'll check that site to see what sort of things are in the industry... I might be surprised.) Still, the idea of industry-focused sites might be something I need to look into.

Comment

Monster
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I think you've covered all of the major sites. Indeed, linkedin, and glassdoor are the ones I've used.

The only other things I would recommend is make lots of friends in your MBA program (other students and professors). Most of the people you meet will already be working professionals. If they can't help you out directly they'll be able to offer you advice or introduce you to someone who could potentially help you.

Also utilize the resources of your school's career center, alumni network, and other networking event. It's very time consuming, but very beneficial for your future.

Comment

Unfortunately, my program is online. My school offers no resources, and communication is extremely limited with my classmates and professors (most off-topic emails I have sent to professors, even a few on-topic, have gone unanswered.) I kinda shot myself in the foot with that one!

I could utilize the career counseling at Rutgers, where I earned my BA... but they charge for it (which is totally shitty... I paid them many thousands of dollars, and they charge me for services that should be free to all alumni!)

The sites listed are probably my best bet for initial research, though. Anything involving others, aside from discussion forums and chats with friends, is best left to when I'm actually searching. Since my MBA is so versatile, I first need to figure out what industries I could get into (and which I would want to get into.) When it comes time to start applying for jobs, I don't want to ignore potential avenues of employment out of ignorance!

Comment

contact industry leading companies in the field you want to work in and inquire about internships, ask to have a meeting with an executive or supervisor in the department. Something. show up in person and bring donuts for people you've never met before but would like to learn from. Build relationships between now and when you want to find a job, in person, and you'll benefit from that 10x more than any online for hire site.

when you land a meeting or can get anyone's time, pay attention, seem interested and absorb as much as you can about the culture and atmosphere of the environment you want to work in.

good industry to get into right now is in fiber. sell it. install it. manage it. etc. great money and it will soon replace the cable on 99% of households.
                    Last edited by toycar; 09-07-2016, 06:56 PM.
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Unfortunately, my program is online. My school offers no resources, and communication is extremely limited with my classmates and professors (most off-topic emails I have sent to professors, even a few on-topic, have gone unanswered.) I kinda shot myself in the foot with that one!

I could utilize the career counseling at Rutgers, where I earned my BA... but they charge for it (which is totally shitty... I paid them many thousands of dollars, and they charge me for services that should be free to all alumni!)

The sites listed are probably my best bet for initial research, though. Anything involving others, aside from discussion forums and chats with friends, is best left to when I'm actually searching. Since my MBA is so versatile, I first need to figure out what industries I could get into (and which I would want to get into.) When it comes time to start applying for jobs, I don't want to ignore potential avenues of employment out of ignorance!
                      Charging for services is pretty normal at any college. Most schools provide resources and support for 1 or 2 years after you graduate, then they start charging unless you joined the alumni association or donate money to the school. Sometimes you have to donate money to the school as a whole and the college your major was a part of.

I think you should involve others from the start since other professionals could provide insight into what industries could be a fit for you or they can provide a lead for a job that isn't listed on any of those sites.

One of the biggest mistakes I made when I was in college was not being proactive about the recruiting process and asking for help. I graduated with a bachelors in Business administration with a double concentration in both Accounting and Finance. My school is a target school for public accounting firms, so I thought it would be easy to find a job. I started recruiting my senior year, and I found out that most firms recruit new hires one year in advance, so if I landed a job during that recruiting season I would be unemployed for almost a year after graduation.

Comment

Working...
                      X