CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Audio/Electronics

Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Djfelixv
Newcomer

Djfelixv is cool... so far.
Power antenna issues

My power antenna has been broken for a while. Is it best to find a replacement power antenna or get an after market one that's not powered. I plan to install custom audio in the future.
Djfelixv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfelixv View Post
My power antenna has been broken for a while. Is it best to find a replacement power antenna or get an after market one that's not powered. I plan to install custom audio in the future.
Either is an acceptable option, but unless you plan on listening to the radio with your custom audio it's kind of a waste of money to do anything. I think you can still get replacement parts for the antenna if that is the road you go, otherwise a simple "shorty" style antenna is easy enough to find.
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Jon
Contributing Member

Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
My opinion is to get a new antenna mast as that is typically what is broken (not the actual power antenna assembly).
Part # 39177-SM4-305. MTC makes one for around $20, same part number just with MTC on the front.

Remove your boot/trunk liner, get access to the antenna, and install a new mast.

I replaced mine right after I bought the car and it still works today.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Djfelixv
Newcomer

Djfelixv is cool... so far.
Thanks, I will look into that.
Djfelixv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
My opinion is to get a new antenna mast as that is typically what is broken (not the actual power antenna assembly).
Part # 39177-SM4-305. MTC makes one for around $20, same part number just with MTC on the front.

Remove your boot/trunk liner, get access to the antenna, and install a new mast.

I replaced mine right after I bought the car and it still works today.
I took mine apart and the plastic internals seems to be an issue, over time the start stripping. Good looking out posting this
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
Just an FYI-

I had an aftermarket mast and over a short time it stopped fully retracting. I kept cutting the nylon reed shorter but it didn't help.

I recently replaced it with an OEM and what a big difference now. BTW Honda still has these and they are used over a number of years & models...

My Collection:
93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)
hiptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Jon
Contributing Member

I think I bought a Metra antenna. This was when RadioShack was still in business and you could get some awesome stuff there.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
Since I'm buying a double din stereo that comes with its own antenna. I think I'm going to put a parking pole in the og antenna spot. I like the short antenna look with the light on top. I'm pretty sure the body mount pieces can be swapped also.
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
Does anyone make a power antenna blank of sorts? That way you could use your aftermarket radio, take out the old antenna, and cap off the hole.
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Jon
Contributing Member

Someone does, I don't remember who at the moment. I'll dig it out.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Cutting the plastic drive belt of the mast ruins it. If it won't go up and down, it is an internal issue. They can be rebuilt; I've done several dozen.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

Working to relink my pictures. Please be patient. If there is one you particularly want to see, let me know.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
Jon
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
Does anyone make a power antenna blank of sorts? That way you could use your aftermarket radio, take out the old antenna, and cap off the hole.
I believe its 82871-671-000, 25mm drain plug. Cheap and easy to get. Should fit perfectly.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
have you considered shaving the stock antenna and using a low profile antenna with an amplifier, theres a whole nother world of programming on HD FM, my classic rock once its pulled in sounds like flac, but theres also substations under the main frequency like the AM station thats local in HD stereo and two other genres

ie: rear defroster grid antenna
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184820

Last edited by illinois_erik; 09-28-2017 at 06:02 PM.
illinois_erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
Ghostwhite
Newcomer

Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptech View Post
Just an FYI-

I had an aftermarket mast and over a short time it stopped fully retracting. I kept cutting the nylon reed shorter but it didn't help.

I recently replaced it with an OEM and what a big difference now. BTW Honda still has these and they are used over a number of years & models...
Good to see honda still makes them, I'm going to dig into mine soon. It will go down some with a little help but mostly grinds.

I'm tempted to disco the motor and just let it stay up for now.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #15
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Good to see honda still makes them, I'm going to dig into mine soon. It will go down some with a little help but mostly grinds.

I'm tempted to disco the motor and just let it stay up for now.
You need to disassemble it, clean it out, and relubricate it. There is a small pin in the motor assembly that keeps the drive belt engaged with a gear; the pin wears and allows the belt to disengage/slip. The pin can be pulled out, rotated, and reinstalled to correct the issue. I have had good luck with antenna masts from Bridgewood Motorsports.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=166674

Last edited by fleetw00d; 10-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
Ghostwhite
Newcomer

Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
You need to disassemble it, clean it out, and relubricate it. There is a small pin in the motor assembly that keeps the drive belt engaged with a gear; the pin wears and allows the belt to disengage/slip. The pin can be pulled out, rotated, and reinstalled to correct the issue. I have had good luck with antenna masts from Bridgewood Motorsports.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=166674
Thanks for the info, I may get around to it before winter but I have a few other maintenance items I want to get done before then.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: