best motor oil for colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best motor oil for colorado

I have a 1992 honda accord ex 5speed with f22a6 engine. I ussually change my oil with 5w30 synthetic. It is warming up in colorado and wanted to know from cb7 experts what is the best oil for this climate. I live in colorado. I drive like grandma most of the time cause i have 2 young kids who ride with me sometimes. During the winter i am assuming 5w30 is the best but what about summer(10w30 maybe)?

The Honda service manual indicates 5W30 is preferred for the temperature range of below -20 to over 100 degrees F; 10W30 is shown on teh chart for +20 to over 100 degrees F. If you know your engine is well worn or that the oil pressure runs on the low side, switching to 10W30 or thicker can potentially extend the life of the engine.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
      I have a 1992 honda accord ex 5speed with f22a6 engine. I ussually change my oil with 5w30 synthetic. It is warming up in colorado and wanted to know from cb7 experts what is the best oil for this climate. I live in colorado. I drive like grandma most of the time cause i have 2 young kids who ride with me sometimes. During the winter i am assuming 5w30 is the best but what about summer(10w30 maybe)?
      Bro, every saturday on my way to work at 4am i am driving at 80MPH+ and every saturday i get passed up by the same lady driving a mazda 5. I told this story at work and most didnt believe it until my co-worker just happened to also be passed up by the same lady too. But Paul is right 5w30 for winter 10w30 for hotter temps, i used to run 20w50 until i tightened valve lash.
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

What's your oil budget like?

I used to run Castrol 0w-30 in my STi with great results. The newest version is the Castrol Edge 0w-30 that is made in Belgium. This is what was previously referred to as "German Castrol Synetc" or simply GC for short.

I used to run used oil analyses (UOAs) on my STi at every change and it always came back perfect.

Comment

Synthetic 5w30 all year round. That's what Honda designed the engine to use. (Not synthetic - the viscosity)

Comment

5w-30 is all you need. Just a quality oil. Honestly, synthetic is unnecessary, unless you're looking to extend your oil change interval. If you put a lot of miles on the car and don't want to change the oil as frequently, then synthetic is ideal (I put synthetic in my Fit, because I drove upwards of 2000 miles a week... changed the oil every 10,000 or so.) Otherwise, synthetic is pretty much unnecessary. It will likely do no better than a quality "dino" oil. If you change it every 3000 miles, you're wasting your money!
            As long as you're using a quality brand of the proper weight, you'll be just fine. Especially if you don't abuse the engine. Keep up with changes and monitor your oil level, and that engine will run forever.

Comment

Working...
            X