Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93SE Update: Project Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93SE Update: Project Restoration

As some of you may already know I was on the fence as to keeping our 93SE. Well in the end I decided to hang on to it a while longer. I needed to carefully evaluate the decision about preserving or restoring it.

Because the car had 90&#37; of it's original paint it was a tough decision to respray areas that weren't in too bad of shape. For example the bumpers and front chin spoiler had some serious scuffs, the rocker panel and wiper arms needed the black finish restored, the body side moldings were completely dull and chalky. These were no-brainers.

Unfortunately the mirrors had taken a beating over the years an in one case the left side was replaced with a used model that didn't work very smoothly. Also the paint had chipped on the other one due to a garage door mishap. All the wheels had been curbed more than I can remember and had already been planed down several times.

So in the end having just turned 129K I decided to go for it since the car has plenty of life left in it. I found NOS mirrors and wheels and threw on a new set of Michelin Premier A/S tires on and had the above mentioned items resprayed. The biggest disappointment was the hood and trunk lid as the clearcoat was failing. Interestingly the roof and spoiler held up fine.

I found a highly rated body shop on Yelp that specializes in custom paintwork and had it all taken care of. Overall I'm pleased with the results but wonder how much I may have diminished the value since the repairs had reduced the original paint to about 60%.

Since I'm in it this far I plan to bring the drivers seat in for re-upholstery work and have some worn panels replaced.

Last edited by hiptech; 05-19-2018, 12:27 AM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Wow. The car looks super clean bro. I actually like that its almost 100&#37; stock. Looks like it just came off the factory floor. I'd prefer that you don't mod it. K, thanks lol

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
    My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
    Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

I wouldn't second-guess repainting the car from a diminished value standpoint at all. It's just not the type of car that will ever be measured against how well it was preserved. Besides, there will be very few comparables at all to weigh it against should that day ever come. I don't mean to say the effort was a waste at all, though. We can all appreciate a little splurge here and there for things that will not have an impressive ROI on paper. Sometimes it's just not having to look at the imperfections every day. In the case of many people on this forum, this chassis is special for whatever reason.

The car looks amazing, and it should serve you well for many more years. Keep us updated on the upholstery if you get it done!
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Jarrett beat me to it. At this point, having the fresh paint and having the car look great is more important than still having some original paint - particularly if you plan on keeping it. I went through the same thing with Ruby, it certainly wasn't worth the time and effort strictly from the market value standpoint, but I don't regret the time and money doing it.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          I wouldn't second-guess repainting the car from a diminished value standpoint at all. It's just not the type of car that will ever be measured against how well it was preserved. Besides, there will be very few comparables at all to weigh it against should that day ever come. I don't mean to say the effort was a waste at all, though. We can all appreciate a little splurge here and there for things that will not have an impressive ROI on paper. Sometimes it's just not having to look at the imperfections every day. In the case of many people on this forum, this chassis is special for whatever reason.

The car looks amazing, and it should serve you well for many more years. Keep us updated on the upholstery if you get it done!
          In hindsight there is a fine line between sentimentality and the desire for perfection.

You're probably right about these cars never achieving the value level reserved for an NSX, Integra GS-R and the like.

And I definitely have an aversion toward neglecting my cars. That's why I probably shouldn't mention I simultaneously did the same thing to my dad's 00 Accord whiich was really looking worn. I just had the that car fully restored too even though it's far less popular than the CB7.

LOL my wife thinks there needs to be a 12-step program for ppl like me...
          Last edited by hiptech; 02-06-2017, 10:14 AM.
          My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
            In hindsight there is a fine line between sentimentality and the desire for perfection.

You're probably right about these cars never achieving the value level reserved for an NSX, Integra GS-R and the like.

And I definitely have an aversion toward neglecting my cars. That's why I probably shouldn't mention I simultaneously did the same thing to my dad's 00 Accord whiich was really looking worn. I just had the that car fully restored too even though it's far less popular than the CB7.

LOL my wife thinks there needs to be a 12-step program for ppl like me...
            My wife has been remarkably understanding - I'm on the 10th step (10th CB7). Even keeping four or five CBs on the road simultaneously by doing the work myself is cheaper than replacing cars every few years. Keep it and be proud of it.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Car looks fantastic! If you don't mind, how much did the painting process run you?

Comment

Originally posted by SilkyCB View Post
                Car looks fantastic! If you don't mind, how much did the painting process run you?
                Thanks, to be fair they weren't the cheapest but they have been very responsive to my obsessive requests...

All in it came to about $2k but as I mentioned not for the entire car. They do offer a lifetime warranty on workmanship and so far I've had the car back about 4 times for little things most "normal" ppl might never notice

As a matter a fact I had the owner and head painter over to my house to see the problems in my garage under fluorescent lights since the problems all but disappear outside. So the customer service is excellent...
                Last edited by hiptech; 02-08-2017, 10:53 PM.
                My Collection:

Comment

Beautiful restoration I love the dedication to keep it original
                  immaculate condition!!!!!

Comment

The car looks amazing!

Comment

its so clean, I love it

Comment

I'm blown away, I really like the attention to detail. The NOS wheels really are a nice touch Are those the original rubber trims around the foglights?

Comment

a really awesome job on the se bro

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
                            The car looks amazing!
                            Thanks SEgirl... very gratifying to see someone else who values keeping their car stock and pristine. I always admired the Geneva Green SE especially after it's detailed.

BTW yours looks excellent too, have you posted many pics?
                            My Collection:

Comment

Thank you for the compliment on my car, and I'm glad to find someone else who likes to keep their CB7 stock :-) I never did create a member's ride thread, so there aren't many pictures of mine out there. She does look better from the side, as the hood, roof, and trunk are oxidized and faded from the hot Florida sun. She still takes my breath away after all these years with a good washing. I've included another picture of her--hope it shows up.

Comment

Working...
                              X