Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil light flickering again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light flickering again

I have a 1992 honda accord ex 5 speed with f22a6 engine. my oil light start flickering again today after driving it for about 20 miles. It would flicker at times and occasionally stay on for a few seconds. I just had a mechanic change the ops unit. I am assuming he did a crappy job and it is just the connection but am not sure. Am going to get a prosport evo gauge soon and one for my water temp but for now am scared to drive it. I should of done it myself but am looking to buy another car and wanted to test out this mechanic. The oil light flickers pretty fast so it makes me think it is a connection. Would this make sense? One more thing to add is both times it has started flickering it is when the engine has fully warmed up which makes me think even more it is a bad connection as a blocked oil passage or bad oil pump would do this cold or warm.
    Last edited by zedjr10; 02-18-2017, 09:15 PM.

My Prelude did that before it spun bearing number 1. Worked perfectly fine during cold starts, then at the end of my commute it started flickering at idle, then flickering and stalling, then finally knock knock.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      My Prelude did that before it spun bearing number 1. Worked perfectly fine during cold starts, then at the end of my commute it started flickering at idle, then flickering and stalling, then finally knock knock.
      What ended up being the problem? Was it a blocked oil passage.The mechanic that did the valve job i don't trust at all what he did and when he adjusted my valves he might of thought of putting some sealant somewhere where it doesn't belong.
      Last edited by zedjr10; 02-18-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

sounds more like, due to wear tolerances have opened up, the oil warms up gets thinner and pressure is lost, id start running a heavier weight oil till you get it figured out.

Comment

I would agree with Erik. I think the original owner had swapped in a neglected motor. I took the VTEC solenoid off and saw that it was clogged with crud and gunk...nothing that should've happened with regular changes. Eventually, it just gave out. It didn't help that I kept driving and abusing it, but I was impressed at how long it lasted. I bought the car non running, so I knew I was going in blind, the price was good.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I would agree with Erik. I think the original owner had swapped in a neglected motor. I took the VTEC solenoid off and saw that it was clogged with crud and gunk...nothing that should've happened with regular changes.
            Sorry am a little lost here. What part are we talking about. This is my first honda so am not totally familar yet with everything. This is also a non vtec engine. Are we talking about the oil pump. Am taking the oil pan off tomorrow and going to clean it all out and replace the gasket. What else should i look at? Also let me add that the car sat for 3 years. I did change the oil 2 times so far in less than 1000 miles to try to get all the gunk out but am guessing now there is sludge circulating around somewhere either in the oil pump or somewhere else.
            Last edited by zedjr10; 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

The part I referred to is not on the original Accord motor. The VTEC solenoid is only on VTEC equipped engines, so it is one less part that you have to worry about. While you are in oil pan, you want to look for any silvery "sparkles" in the oil. If you see any, it is typically a sign of bearing wear. Next, you want to try to wiggle the rods. If there is excessive play, then you have a worn bearing. Check out the oil pickup and make sure you replace the oil pickup gasket since it'll be right there in front of you.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Check out the oil pickup and make sure you replace the oil pickup gasket since it'll be right there in front of you.
                What is an oil pickup gasket? I tried finding that part and i can't. Would that be the oil pump gasket? I do have an oem oil pan gasket i am replacing.
                Last edited by zedjr10; 02-19-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Sorry i found the part and see what you are talking about now. The gasket seems hard to find at a local parts store. Will have to order. I am praying that my bearing and rods are ok as this car has become "The Money Pit" and am anxious to have everything in good working order. BTW you guys are awesome. I use to post at a couple other honda sites i wont name and all i got was smart ass comments but here all i get is genuine help. Thanks soo much.
                  Last edited by zedjr10; 02-19-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

You should replace the oil pump while u are at it bud

Comment

btw the oil flickering light was most likely due to oil heat and higher pressure. evidently those lights come on if pressure gets too high also. There was also a little too much oil in engine. I think the high pressure caused my distributor seal to poop. thats ok. Easy fix.

Comment

Good to know and glad u got it figured out bud

Comment

Working...
                        X