Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

89 integra steering rack swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 integra steering rack swap?

My buddy has an 89 integra and I love the feeling of the steering. I want to swap mine out on my cb7 but I'm not sure if it would fit or not. how could I find that out?

You would need to examine the mounting points of the steering rack to the front crossmember. If they're the same style and the same width apart, then it will likely bolt to your car. You will then have the issue of insuring that your CB steering joint from the column fits with the input shaft on the rack pinion. Once all of that is sorted, you'd need to come up with a new way to get your high pressure fluid lines routed to allow everything to reattach.

It's really not that simple. Most likely, it doesn't even mount up in the first place. There are many ways to change the steering on your car, depending on what you're going for.

Reduce weight
    Change the width of the front tires
    Run an underdrive pulley on the factory pump
    Convert the CB rack to manual steering
    Verify that all of your steering components are actually in good working order before changing things
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Very true the column would have to fit.. I believe the integra wheel fits on cb7 so I may be able to use the column. I like the turniing radius on the integra but I was thinking for now I may just PS delete, would that change the response time or radius of my steering?

Comment

To properly delete power steering, you'll need to remove the rack and modify it. Instructions can be found in our DIY section. Otherwise, damage could result. Removing power steering will definitely increase road feel, though be prepared for any bumps in the road to jerk the wheel out of your hands. It took some getting used to for me. Overall, though, if you don't mind the extra effort, it does make you feel more connected to what the car is doing.

Other things to do in addition to what Jarrett mentioned would be to replace all of your suspension components with new and/or upgraded components. It doesn't affect steering feel directly, but by tightening up your soggy old suspension, your car will be more responsive to steering inputs. Look into polyurethane bushings, new ball joints, and new shocks. If you're not lowered and do not want to be, there are affordable stock replacement shocks that will increase suspension performance from Koni, KYB, Bilstein, and Tokico... if you're lowered, Koni has the best option in the Sport (yellow) shocks. If you get into this stuff, just remember to buy quality components, and only get shocks that match the ride height and spring rate of the springs you plan on using.

Comment

Working...
        X