Ractive coilovers..got some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ractive coilovers..got some questions

So i found a set of these badboys for 125 and im picking them up today. I've heard from a few people that these are very bouncy and kinda ride like shit,while others say they arent too hateful and handle pretty good. I just want some pros/cons on this kit by people that run them,and also to figure out a good shock to match them.
    Follow me on IG to see my builds/pics
    dmfb919

They're cheap garbage coilover sleeves, identical to thousands of others.

Spring rate is too high and you'll blow your OEM struts in no time. Any high spring rate will corner fast giving you the illusion of good handling but the dampening will be all wrong. They're likely aluminum collars which will seize up in the winter locking your ride height wherever you set it.

A set of proper springs and struts will yield significantly better results.

Comment

As an all around guide to deciding on parts, if you have conflicting experiences from multiple different people, those who had negative experiences should be particularly paid attention to. If half of the people who bought/installed/used a product complain about problems (especially the same few problems) then you run the risk of being another user that has those problems. Not only that but it is fairly common to see people simply not admit they bought a garbage part. These cars are old at this point, everything that works and doesn't work has already been sorted out. Trying to cut financial corners is only going to cost you happiness and money in the future.

Comment

I figured they were cheap knockoffs or something,they were only 120 bucks. I would have gladly went with better quality stuff but its the only thing I've found for sale near me,they arent going to be permanent or anything,its just to hold me over until i can get better stuff. Plus i hate how high these old things sit on stock suspension,ill just bounce around for a few months until i get some good name brand suspension then take the cheapies and scrap them or keep em as spares. What struts would be alright to use with the ractives though?
        dmfb919

Comment

Originally posted by chi View Post
          I figured they were cheap knockoffs or something,they were only 120 bucks. I would have gladly went with better quality stuff but its the only thing I've found for sale near me,they arent going to be permanent or anything,its just to hold me over until i can get better stuff. Plus i hate how high these old things sit on stock suspension,ill just bounce around for a few months until i get some good name brand suspension then take the cheapies and scrap them or keep em as spares. What struts would be alright to use with the ractives though?
          OR, you could save the money and be that much closer to getting a better suspension. You aren't likely to find anything worthwhile near you so your best bet would be to buy brand new or try the classifieds here.

Comment

The struts capable of running those stiff do dads (no idea on spring rates but I'd guess stupid high) are going to cost you a pretty penny especially if you need to go custom. And at that point you could have went with a more happy streetable setup for both your back and wallet.

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I wasnt really in the market for suspension yet but they popped up and I impulse bought them lol honestly id run them on stock struts,the car mainly just sits anyway until i get my license back and by that time(september) I'll have money to get a legit set of coilovers and not jank ass sleeves. I already had someone trying to buy them and i might just sell em,havent decided yet
              dmfb919

Comment

Originally posted by chi View Post
                This doesn't make sense... if you buy these, that's $120 more you will have to save to get the good stuff. Why not just wait?

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                  This doesn't make sense... if you buy these, that's $120 more you will have to save to get the good stuff. Why not just wait?
                  I answered it right above you lol they were an impulse buy. I really don't like how the cb7s sit stock either,its worth the rough ride until i get good parts though because it just sits in the driveway until i get my Ls back. Plus I got to thinking about what I'd do with these when i get legit coilovers and came up with a solution to get my money back and then some;throw em on my 91,pick up a f22 from a local junkyard and sell it to my neighbor for 1000 lol there's always a method to my madness
                  dmfb919

Comment

Working...
                  X