Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How big of Throttle body is too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big of Throttle body is too big?

Hello again everyone! I am running an H23A vtec (blue top) and I am just curious... I found a wicked deal on a skunk 2 intake and modded throttle body. however the throttle body is 77mm and the intake is portmatched to it. If I was to buy this setup I realize I will need tuning, but is this throttlebody too big for a stock motor? I do plan to upgrade to the Type-S cams eventually. This setup would haul ass for a boosted H22A but I don't know if this may be overkill for my stock N/A motor. Let me know what you think.

I will probably pick up this package cheaper than I can buy a 70 mm throttlebody for my stock intake so keep that in mind when dropping your input.

Thanks!

^Click Me!^

it's about 3"
    if you got a tune you would make decent numbers.
    if it's for a steal, pick it up.

Comment

Truly determining the ideal throttle body size is rather involved. Too small and you are choking the motor and too large, you are reducing velocity and possibly causing cavitation in the plenum.

A larger than stock throttle body will usually give better throttle response, because stock throttle bodies are often restrictive, but 77mm is massive, so I'd be concerned that its too large.

77mm is about 3 inches as mentioned, and most people with h22, or h23 engines use a 3 inch diameter intake. You want a slightly smaller throttle body diameter than your intake tubing to create a venturi effect into the plenum.

If the throttle body is larger than the intake, it will act as a diffuser rather than a nozzle, and the mass flow of air being pulled through the runners may be greater than the mass flow incoming, which isn't good.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Plans

What are you plans for the motor.

If you are going FI, then 77mm is fine, but it might suck low end until you get the turbo in there.

If you are going NA then 77 is fairly large for an outlet. You should find out if it is 77mm inlet and outlet, or if it is tapered.

If you are going NA, then I would recommend smaller, I don't know for sure that it will be worse, but it could be.

I am running a 74-68mm tapered and love it, I have no issues what so ever.

EDIT: It may not be a 77mm tb, at least at the outlet, as the skunk2 website says 75mm is the largest bore they recommend on their h22 manifold...

If you can go get a digital caliper and measure it. People are full of shit
        Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 03-16-2010, 10:19 PM.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

this is definately 77mm. i think i might be better off with a 70 mm or so on my motor. I think i am running a 65 right now which is stock on the H23A Vtec. it does taper and mate the intake almost perfectly though...
          I can't really afford it right now anyways so I hope someone on here can pick it up.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Skunk2-AEM-B-M-Ho...item4cee214c7a
          I hope that gets you to it properly. Good luck guys. Someone will get a sick deal on a killer FI setup.

^Click Me!^

Comment

77mm is HUGE. You'll probably end up losing power if you're going NA.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Find out the inlet size of the manifold.

If it is 77 tapered to something reasonable, you may be ok na, however if it is 77 to 75 it will most likely be a little big for na.

If it is tapered to like 70 then you should be ok.

If he says it is 77 at the inlet of the manifold, I would not buy it, since the guy is either lying, or was an idiot and had had a max bore 75 mm manifold bored to 77 and probably screwed up some iacv ports.

Find that out first...

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

i say buy it and go turbo!

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
                And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
                Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Working...
                X