oil catch can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil catch can

So i ended up doing something stupid and drilled holes on the back side of my valve cover so that my oil lines for my catch can would be more hidden and didnt think about there being no baffling on the back side.
    do you guys know of a good setup for a catch can that doesnt have baffling inside the valve cover? could i use 45° angle fitting and point them 45° "up"?

fitting would be like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPD-8230808-...R29-JQ&vxp=mtr

and i drilled a hole on each end of the valve cover so i need a catch can that would support 2 lines in and have a breather
    Last edited by 93redcb7; 02-27-2017, 09:51 PM.

https://www.amazon.com/TT-Racing-Uni...+with+breather

https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Catch-Can.../dp/B014GAXRBS

came up with these 2 catch cans, i have a feeling the first one would be better just because it will actually be able to fill instead of running back after there is enough fluid to go up to the first hole

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
      So i ended up doing something stupid and drilled holes on the back side of my valve cover so that my oil lines for my catch can would be more hidden and didnt think about there being no baffling on the back side.
      do you guys know of a good setup for a catch can that doesnt have baffling inside the valve cover? could i use 45° angle fitting and point them 45° "up"?

fitting would be like this
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPD-8230808-...R29-JQ&vxp=mtr

and i drilled a hole on each end of the valve cover so i need a catch can that would support 2 lines in and have a breather
      Does this imply you drilled the holes with the valve cover on the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Does this imply you drilled the holes with the valve cover on the engine?
        no, but im curious if having no baffles will just make a ton of oil fill the catch can because there is no baffle.

Comment

A catch can is something I wouldn't half ass. If you really need one then get something decent. Mine has 2x -10 JIC ports going to the top where its baffled. My can might be 1.5 liters or so with no internal baffling. It sucks,... I mean, blows oil out of the filter because it is too small and does not have baffling. BUT it does its job (keeping crankcase pressure down), my motor is built with lots of clearance in the piston to wall and ring end gap making 400+ hp, soon to be more
          spin city

Comment

dido. and hoses are in the front. no issues. I've seen people put them in the back too but i know there are baffles there.

correction : i've seen them in the back on b18 or maybe even H23? .... but H22 has the baffles in the back. BUT, on high HP cars I've seen them run hoses from the front and back. So they are either gutting the inside rear of the valve cover or taking what they can get with the baffles.

You could test it easily enough with compressed air....
            Last edited by Raf99; 03-06-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
              A catch can is something I wouldn't half ass. If you really need one then get something decent. Mine has 2x -10 JIC ports going to the top where its baffled. My can might be 1.5 liters or so with no internal baffling. It sucks,... I mean, blows oil out of the filter because it is too small and does not have baffling. BUT it does its job (keeping crankcase pressure down), my motor is built with lots of clearance in the piston to wall and ring end gap making 400+ hp, soon to be more
              yea i actually found one thats baffled so it should be decent

dido. and hoses are in the front. no issues. I've seen people put them in the back too but i know there are baffles there.

correction : i've seen them in the back on b18 or maybe even H23? .... but H22 has the baffles in the back. BUT, on high HP cars I've seen them run hoses from the front and back. So they are either gutting the inside rear of the valve cover or taking what they can get with the baffles.

You could test it easily enough with compressed air....
              yea ive got them on the back of the f22a valve cover which doesnt have baffles on the back, and im wondering if not having the baffles on the VC is going to just fill with oil quickly.. though as long as the hose is pointed "up" a little it shouldnt fling up it just from the motor turning

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
                yea i actually found one thats baffled so it should be decent

yea ive got them on the back of the f22a valve cover which doesnt have baffles on the back, and im wondering if not having the baffles on the VC is going to just fill with oil quickly.. though as long as the hose is pointed "up" a little it shouldnt fling up it just from the motor turning
                Can't fill up any more than mine which face the front. 2 x 10AN fittings

Comment

Can't fill up any more than mine which face the front. 2 x 10AN fittings
                  no baffle in the valve cover on the rear side, just worried about it "flinging" oil just from the moving parts(mainly the cam) into the hose

Comment

lol, i feel like an idiot. I just realized my oil fittings are in the back of the VC. I didn't gut the baffles, catch can still works great. Every 2 months i drain a bunch of gross brown sludge from the can.

Comment

lol, i feel like an idiot. I just realized my oil fittings are in the back of the VC. I didn't gut the baffles, catch can still works great. Every 2 months i drain a bunch of gross brown sludge from the can.

h22 doesnt matter because there is baffles on both sides, on the f22 there isn't

Comment

Working...
                      X