Flock all the car parts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flock all the car parts!

Has anybody looked into adding felt lining (called "flocking") to their various interior bits? The same soft stuff that appears inside of the glovebox. I did a few pieces in red, but I'm considering also getting the materials to do black/grey, so I can do other interior pieces as well. Any thoughts or anybody have experience with this?

Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-22-2016, 01:30 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

To what places are you applying it? I used (actually had it done) a sort of padded felt to recover the rear deck and center brake light housing on Ruby.

PS: I suspect it is my computer, but you're picture didn't show up for me.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I did my ash tray in blue felt and i think it came out pretty decent.

That cup holder piece you did looks pretty good.
      Last edited by PhatAccord; 01-22-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

this was my first attempt, and I've learned some things that should improve the quality of my next round. I'm not really happy with how the coin tray turned out.

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        To what places are you applying it? I used (actually had it done) a sort of padded felt to recover the rear deck and center brake light housing on Ruby.

PS: I suspect it is my computer, but you're picture didn't show up for me.
        does it show up now? I applied it to the ash tray, coin tray, and the tray area under the popout cupholders. I also want to apply the same finish to the other pockets in the center console around the ebrake, the rear side coupe pockets. Part of the gauge surround crossed my mind, maybe the lower door pockets too. Apparently people do this to their whole dashboard to get a suede feel, but I would never do that. I just think this would be a nice lining material, which I noticed actually comes standard on more premium brands.

Originally posted by PhatAccord View Post
        I did my ash tray in blue felt and i think it came out pretty decent.

That cup holder piece you did looks pretty good.
        that looks surprisingly excellent! what adhesive did you use? I figured trying to use material would be hard to fit the contours and have smooth trimmed edges, but i guess felt is stretchable enough and you obviously figured out how to apply it well. I think flocking is great because it can conform to any shape without much work haha
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-22-2016, 01:42 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

That gives a nice finish, It looks good on the bits you did.
          It definitely needs to be used sparingly. It could quickly look gaudy if it was over used.
          In the pockets and on the rear package tray would look classy, around the instrument bezel might start looking gaudy.
          Were you planning on just red or did you have other colors in mind for the larger areas?
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
            That gives a nice finish, It looks good on the bits you did.
            It definitely needs to be used sparingly. It could quickly look gaudy if it was over used.
            In the pockets and on the rear package tray would look classy, around the instrument bezel might start looking gaudy.
            Were you planning on just red or did you have other colors in mind for the larger areas?
            thanks! the red was mainly to simulate the "personal box" ash tray with the red velvet finish. Everything else I would do in black/grey (I think they call it Charcoal) to blend in with the existing color combination. This would just be adding the soft texture!

Current cars:

Comment

Didn't one of the guys that did the Prelude dash swap flock the whole thing when it was done? Sorry can't recall your name now.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                that looks surprisingly excellent! what adhesive did you use? I figured trying to use material would be hard to fit the contours and have smooth trimmed edges, but i guess felt is stretchable enough and you obviously figured out how to apply it well. I think flocking is great because it can conform to any shape without much work haha
                thanks. i bought a few 8x11 felt sheets from a crafts store. these felt sheets come w/ an adhesive backing. (can also be purchased w/o the adhesive backing as well)

it wasnt too bad it apply. i did it about a year ago. if i remember correctly, i cut out paper into each shape of each side and then used it as a stencil for the felt. and yes, youre right, it stretchable enough to connect to each side to look like a single piece.

i wasnt able to apply the felt to the front lumpy side like yours or like the personal box. so i think your method is better. i got to look into how this "flocking" method is done.

but i still have a sheet or two left over, so i think i will try to cover the two other parts like you! looks really good.

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                Didn't one of the guys that did the Prelude dash swap flock the whole thing when it was done? Sorry can't recall your name now.
                i remember that thread. i think he had the bb6 dash wrapped in suede. it looked really good, but i think the material he used got sun damaged in a short amount of time and he might of had it re-done or was planning on having it flocked.
                Heres that bb6 dash thread;
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...light=bb6+dash
                Last edited by PhatAccord; 01-23-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                  If it's who I'm thinking of, he used suede, not flocking.

that being said, many race cars have flocked black dashes to eliminate glare on the windshield.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                    does it show up now?
                    I see Phat's picture, but not yours.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I always wanted to do this as a small project. I could never find a local company that could do it and I just didn't feel like doing it myself. The parts you have look like they turned out really well.

Comment

looks luxurious

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

cool like the idea I may do the same to my wagon. you did a great job looks like a pro interior shop did it

Comment

Working...
                          X