electronic control mounting solenoid valve assembly clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electronic control mounting solenoid valve assembly clicking

for the past few months, my electronic control mounting solenoid valve assembly (part # 50913-SM4-J84) has been clicking. today i found out the name by looking it up at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. i don't really know the purpose for it. i am guessing it has to relate with the rear engine mount. why would it click when there is a power draw like turn signal, headlights, and/or A/C on? when i turn off the turn signal, the clicking stops.

today, i pulled off the filter that is on top of it and tapped it on my hand. nothing came out. when i turned my car on, there wasn't a clicking sound anymore. i am planning to go to Pick N Pull and snatch a back up for future clicking.

is it a sign my rear engine mount needs replacing? i have been itching to change the rear mount because i somewhat get annoying shakes in reverse. FYI, 5-6 years ago, i only changed the front, and left/right mounts. so the rear has been my original since i have owned it.

any insight would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ca93accord; 04-23-2017, 11:08 PM.

I am experiencing the same problem on my wagon. About a week ago, I found my idle screw backed out. I installed a new o-ring and reinstalled the screw with a rough adjustment. When I reset the idle speed (close to 500 with the IAC disconnected) a couple days ago, my son noticed a clicking sound at idle. Good thing it is post Christmas; I had a wrapping paper tube to use as a stethoscope to isolate the clicking to the mount solenoid; it was clicking at about 2 times per second until I increase the electrical load (headlights, increased blower speed, etc); then it stops. Decrease the electrical load and it returns.

At idle speeds (I always thought below 1000 rpm), an electrical signal is sent to the solenoid that then ports vacuum to the mount, the vacuum motor pulls a lever which rotates a valve in the mount that opens a large connection between two fluid chambers in the mount essentially rendering the mount very soft to limit vibration input to the body. Above idle speeds, the electrical signal is turned off, shutting off vacuum to the mount, allowing the lever and valve to return to the position isolating the two fluid chambers except through a small secondary passage to increase the stiffness of the mount.

When all else fails, read the instructions. The service manual is a little confusing. It indicates that there should be vacuum below 750 (not 1000) rpm and no vacuum above 700 rpm. I suspect this should be vacuum below 700 and none above 750 so that switching should occur somewhere between 700 and 750. Looking at the specifications for idle speed, with no load the idle speed is supposed to be 700 +/-50 rpm; with load 770 +/-50 rpm. This potentially puts the switch point for the mount solenoid right in the idle range. Sounds like my base idle is right at the switching point and the electrical load pushes it just above the switch point (although I don't see much change on the tachometer).

Edit: I tweaked the base idle down (idle screw is almost completely bottomed out - wondering if I have another leak somewhere); clicking has stopped at warm idle.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Agreed with FleetW00d. The clicking is something being out of spec. (ground, voltage, etc.) Like a starer without enough power but on a smaller scale is how i think of it. In most cases (thank you Honda) it's the part that fails and not the wiring or connection points in the wiring. May be easier to find a spare one then trying to bench test it all.

Comment

I think the clicking was the control not being able to decide if the engine speed was above or below the switch rpm.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks fleetwood. i will fiddle with the solenoid a bit more. thanks again. You all 2K posters are a wealth of knowledge.

Comment

I don't think it is the solenoid itself - the module that controls it determines when to energize it. Drove mine some more, I could still hear it clicking (less so now) like it can't make up its mind. I may substitute another control module and see if that helps.

Comment

where is the control module? is that the unit under the passengers carpet?

Comment

The engine mount control module appears to be above the inside fuse box at the driver kick panel. I haven't gotten under my dash yet to locate it. At least working under the hood kept me warm - it was 15 F here today.

Comment

is it #6
                  http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SE+BOX+-+RELAY

Comment

I have a spare or two that I need to dig out of my stash of parts.

Edit: Found a spare. It is a black box with green four wire connector just under the left side of the dash rearward from the fuse box. I couldn't easily get to the bolt that mounts it, but was able to slide it off the bracket. Installed the spare and the clicking is the same. The car left for FL on Thursday, if it get to annoying for my son, I'll just have him disconnect it.
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-20-2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X