Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door wont open From inside. Level doesn't pull rod far enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door wont open From inside. Level doesn't pull rod far enough?

My drivers side door won't open from inside of car. I took off panel and realized
    the door handle lever doesn't pull that long skinny rod long enough to right. Does the connection on the other side need adjusting or something. As nothing wrong with lever. I can pull on lever and open door. It is about most of a centimeter keeping the handle lever opening the door. Anyone got any options for me is greatly appreciated.

hmmm, I don't have an answer for ya, but my experience tells me that nothing becomes loose in there or flexes. So something either broke or is bent in there.

Coupe or sedan?

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
      My drivers side door won't open from inside of car. I took off panel and realized
      the door handle lever doesn't pull that long skinny rod long enough to right. Does the connection on the other side need adjusting or something. As nothing wrong with lever. I can pull on lever and open door. It is about most of a centimeter keeping the handle lever opening the door. Anyone got any options for me is greatly appreciated.
      I believe there is an adjuster where the pull rod connects on the lock mechanism. But if you didn’t mess with anything then it shouldn’t have broke or gotten out of adjustment.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

It might be an early warning sign that things are failing in the latch mechanism. It is not an uncommon problem for the latch to fail such that you can't open the door from either the inside OR outside. If that happens, it is very difficult to remove the door panel then drill/cut through the inside of the latch assembly to release it. I'd be looking for another latch assembly just in case.

How many miles on the car? Based on a previous post, it appear you have a coupe.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-15-2018, 07:19 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post

How many miles on the car? Based on a previous post, it appear you have a coupe.
          It has 250k miles on it.

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
          I believe there is an adjuster where the pull rod connects on the lock mechanism. But if you didn’t mess with anything then it shouldn’t have broke or gotten out of adjustment.
          So how do i adjust it. That must be it.

Comment

Just looked at the passenger door latch assembly from my wrecked 92 coupe. There is no adjustment of the rod from the inside handle to the latch assembly.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Just looked at the passenger door latch assembly from my wrecked 92 coupe. There is no adjustment of the rod from the inside handle to the latch assembly.
              hmm I'm wondering what I had to spin to get the outer door handle off many years ago. Thanks Paul for verifying this.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Maybe i should bend the pull rod up and then down to take up some slack?I only need about a half of centimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                  hmm I'm wondering what I had to spin to get the outer door handle off many years ago. Thanks Paul for verifying this.
                  The push rod for the outer handle is adjustable; it is separate from the rod from the inside door handle.

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                  Maybe i should bend the pull rod up and then down to take up some slack?I only need about a half of centimeter.
                  Make sure the three screws that hold the latch are tight. Bending the rod may work for the short term, but I suspect the latch may be going bad.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-16-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

The push rod for the outer handle is adjustable; it is separate from the rod from the inside door handle.

Make sure the three screws that hold the latch are tight. Bending the rod may work for the short term, but I suspect the latch may be going bad.
                    The latch u mean is the part the sits right behind the door handle to the rearrest part of the door, right?How do i replace that? I guess am going to have to find a manual and look at the door again.

Comment

Unhook all of the rods that go out to the 2 door locks and the 2 door handles. Once the rods are disconnected go to the rear edge of the door and remove the 3 screws around the latch assembly. Then work the mechanism out of the door and install a new one in the reverse order. Just a pain in the ass due to the funky shape and some rods sticking out of it.
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

When I got stuck in my 93 SE, it wound up being the little rod clip breaking. Luckily I had the door panel off, I fixed it with the broke clip and two zip ties kind of lashing it to the rod.

Comment

I would advise fixing this before the door lock mechanism breaks. I've had one completely fail on me where it wouldn't open from the inside or outside. It is a royal bitch to have to fix this with the door stuck closed. Getting the door panel off is the first bit of fun. Then you literally have to drill the door latch until you break the part that isn't working and it finally opens. It took 1-2 hours laying across the seats to get the thing to finally release.
                          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                            I would advise fixing this before the door lock mechanism breaks. I've had one completely fail on me where it wouldn't open from the inside or outside. It is a royal bitch to have to fix this with the door stuck closed. Getting the door panel off is the first bit of fun. Then you literally have to drill the door latch until you break the part that isn't working and it finally opens. It took 1-2 hours laying across the seats to get the thing to finally release.
                            I had the same problem; created a little more room to get the panel off and work by removing the seat first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                              I had the same problem; created a little more room to get the panel off and work by removing the seat first.
                              latch going bad

replace it before you wind up like me doing dukes of hazard for a few weeks until I got a good used one off of ebay
                              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X