Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Voltage at fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage at fuel pump

For some time now my 91 LX would have trouble starting after being driving for some time. Or stall from letting clutch out to fast.
    But it would not restart right away. I would have to wait a few minutes then try again, for the most part it would up fire up again after brief period.
    But today it would not start at all. I opened the air filter box and sprayed starter fluid. It fired right up then died again.
    So we flipped the seat forward opened the fuel pump cover and tested the voltage.
    I got about 7 volts between the black and white and about 1.5 from the white and the last wire. Is this enough volts for the fuel pump?
    Did I test the voltage wrong? Is the relay suppose to send 12 volts to the fuel pump?

What position was the key in? Did you measure it when the key was turned and the fuel pump is primed?

Also that cover is not to the fuel pump. That’s to the fuel tank float. But the fuel pump wiring goes through there.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
      What position was the key in? Did you measure it when the key was turned and the fuel pump is primed?

Also that cover is not to the fuel pump. That’s to the fuel tank float. But the fuel pump wiring goes through there.
      Run or On
      Not sure if the pump is primed
      Yes float cover where the wires run to the pump.

Comment

There should be 12 volts between the yellow wire and body ground for two seconds after turning the key to the "on" position (while the "check engine" light is on).

If there is no voltage, the likely culprit is the main relay. I have also had an ECM failure result in the pump not running. First check whether you have voltage to the pump, then we'll go from there.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

So I get 6.3 volts yellow wire to ground when key is on.
          11.5 volts green to ground when key is on.

Comment

I hate to chase parts, but I will get a relay first it appears.
            Rockauto appears to have one without breaking the bank.

Comment

You could try resoldering the current one. The issue is usually cracks in the solder joints from thermal cycling; you can see them with a magnifying glass. If you have a soldering iron, you should be able to reflow the solder to fix it. Even if you buy a new one, repair the old one and keep it as a spare.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                You could try resoldering the current one. The issue is usually cracks in the solder joints from thermal cycling; you can see them with a magnifying glass. If you have a soldering iron, you should be able to reflow the solder to fix it. Even if you buy a new one, repair the old one and keep it as a spare.
                Great thank you for the information.
                I found one on ebay it appears to be a
                RZ-0159 Main Relay Fule Pump Relay HONDA ACCORD ACURA TL Odyssey CRV 92-01

refurbished, resoldered known weak joints, and fully tested
                For less than 15 dollars shipped
                And I will save my old one to solder later.

Comment

Fixed

Well I was able to get the resolder relay connected though it is only just stuffed up in there. The old one is still attached. But the quarter million mile Accord fired right up. Thanks to all of you who helped me get this sorted out.

Comment

I know it can be tough to get the old one out, but do it and learn to resolder it yourself, then you'll have a spare.

I relocated mine the last time I replaced it.

Comment

Working...
                    X