Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need Brand Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Brand Advice

Hi everyone, I am kind of forced to pay a shop to replace my power steering rack as I currently don't have access to a garage and am skipping teeth on my current gearbox. I know I can get an Oreillys MasterPro rack and pinion for 180 and the shop I am taking my car too is trying to sell me a LUK rack for 330. They would both have lifetime warranty's on the parts but I would have to buy the LUK through the shop for them to warranty their work. I am curious if anyone here has experience with aftermarket or remaned racks and if the extra 150 would be worth it or if I should just get the masterpro. I hate to drop all this money on work I could do myself but have no space or time to do it and need to be able to get to work still haha. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

If both come with a warranty, and you’re not opposed to swapping it out again, I’d say go with the cheaper option. LUK is a brand I recognize as quality, but I’ve used many store brand parts with no major issues (never oreilly, since they don’t exist where I am, but autozone and advance auto probably use the same suppliers.)

Comment

You can get an OEM rebuilt one complete with inner tie rod ends and boots from Majestic Honda for $188 + shipping (list price $280). Part number 06536-SM4-515RM (corrrected, had an extra digit). That's about what the individual parts alone cost from Honda if you wanted to rebuild it yourself (I've done it). Armed with this on line price, you might be able to haggle your local dealer down. My local dealer gives me 20&#37; off parts I buy. Core charge can be pretty hefty from what I remember ($150 maybe), so consider what it would take to ship the old one back.

I've got two sitting in my garage because I was afraid they wouldn't be available.
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-14-2019, 11:44 PM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Well you may have been right to stock up cause I didn’t see them on majestic Honda, said they were discontinued. I wouldn’t mind doing the work to replace it when I have the space, in the process of buying a house right now, but the thing I can’t do is a new front end alignment so it may just end up going with the LUK. I guess it can’t hurt to put nice parts in haha

Comment

Originally posted by CB9_IS_2_BETTER View Post
          Well you may have been right to stock up cause I didn’t see them on majestic Honda, said they were discontinued. I wouldn’t mind doing the work to replace it when I have the space, in the process of buying a house right now, but the thing I can’t do is a new front end alignment so it may just end up going with the LUK. I guess it can’t hurt to put nice parts in haha
          Did you plug in the part number from my post, or just search for the rack based on the vehicle? Shows a price and let me put it in my shopping cart. Looks like you can also buy a brand new one for only $881.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I tried searching your part number and am not getting anything, but if you got the number for the new rack ill take that, haha just kidding. I ended up going to some other guy who gave me a much more reasonable quote so I think I'll just take whatever rack he gets, should be better than MasterPro. If the gearbox didn't go out last week I was planning on doing a manual rack conversion in the spring but I guess it will be nice having PS again since the swap. Just about to head to the exhaust shop too but thats just the way she goes sometimes. Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

dont forget the o'really's has a 45 dollar core which brings the price to 225.
              stay away from detroit axle, i used to use their premade bearing/hubs, but its garbage now a days.
              Im in the same boat was looking at the high res photos of D.A's racks and they look like crap.
              The masterpro ive heard good and bad. because of their core charge and a similar price to online people Im going with online so i can keep my oem rack and rebuild it.
              I know its not very wise to go by photos but the amazon seller seems to have the best looking ones, like they gave a care about the end product.

Comment

I tried searching your part number and am not getting anything, but if you got the number for the new rack ill take that, haha just kidding.
                Not sure where the extra "7 " came from; the part number is 06536-SM4-515RM

Comment

Google Rackdoctor.
                  MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Damn that amazon one and rack doctor look really good. Sadly I don’t have the time to order anything online, guy is set to put it in tomorrow and it’s been out of commission for a week and am sick of sleeping at the office haha, so I guess I’m going with the master pro and if it feels like crap I’ll replace it myself later. If my rack wasn’t so messed up I would keep it to rebuild it but at this point I am better off getting my core charge back and grabbing an oem rack from the junkyard if I wanna rebuild one

Comment

Damn that amazon one and rack doctor look really good. Sadly I don’t have the time to order anything online, guy is set to put it in tomorrow and it’s been out of commission for a week and am sick of sleeping at the office haha, so I guess I’m going with the master pro and if it feels like crap I’ll replace it myself later. If my rack wasn’t so messed up I would keep it to rebuild it but at this point I am better off getting my core charge back and grabbing an oem rack from the junkyard if I wanna rebuild one
                      As I indicated before, if you want to rebuild with Honda parts, you will spend as much in parts (including the inner tie rod ends and boots) as you would just buying one already rebuilt by them. If you want to do just because, more power to you. Pulling one from a JY to use as the core makes some sense.

Comment

It wouldn’t be a straight rebuild, i want to try the manual rack mod sometime to see how it feels, but my current rack was skipping teeth so I’m going to get my core deposit back.

Comment

Rock Auto has a "BBB / VISION-OE" for $100 + core.

I installed this exact one on my race car last year and it has worked perfectly. If it can handle endurance racing, it can handle street duty lol

But I'm warning you, it's not a fun install--even with a lift. It's not terrible, just not as easy as many other racks I've done.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I ended putting the oreillys one in as I didn't have time to order one online. I waited a couple of weeks to reply to look for leaks and so far I haven't seen anything so I can't complain, it just sometimes feels a little cheap, I don't really know how to describe it. If I need to replace in the future I probably would go with one of the recommended on here but the MasterPro is definitely doing the job for now and it's time to move onto all the other stuff I need to do to my car haha. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X