Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New Old Member from the NorthEast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Old Member from the NorthEast

Hey guys,
    My name is Tom. I have been a member since early 2007 but I have been mostly inactive so I am still considered "New" here. I used to own a 1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon that I bought bone stock in 2003. It had a slightly rare original paint job until I had the car painted. (Looking back, I should have just gotten a re-spray of the same color.) It was black with a copper metallic flake, I'm not sure what the paint code was anymore. I painted the car a BMW black with blue pearl. The car ended up costing me about $25,000 throughout the 7 or so years I owned it until I stripped it of all the parts I had and sold the car for $2,600 a few years ago. I absolutely loved that car, It was not only my first CB, but it was also my first car.

Since the day I bought my CB, I've owned maybe 7 or more other CB's (Wagons, Sedans, but never owned a coupe). I have always loved the body style and my urge to own another only grows stronger with every passing day. My 91 Wagon was the only CB I had that I put any money into, the others were either winter transportation or parts cars. My grandmother currently drives a 91 Coupe thanks to me. I'm blown away by some of the pictures I've seen on this site and the JDM movement throughout this past decade or longer has only shown a greater potential for the amazing styling these cars possess. Living in the NorthEast proves hard to find a decent used car that isn't chewed up by the salt. I keep an eye open for the right one and I know my patience will pay off some day.

When I sold my CB9, I was also the proud owner of a 2005 Acura RSX Type-S. I bought a complete A-spec kit including the A-spec suspension for my RSX. I had a Mishimoto Carbon Fiber intake, RS*R Exhaust, JDM Visors, JDM Type-R valve cover, and Cusco B-pillar Bars. I had bigger plans for the car, but rust claimed the floor under the driver seat and I immediately lost interest with the car. I traded it in the following week and drove home a 2010 Honda Element SC with 24k miles. I thought by buying an Element, my tuner bug would die and I wouldn't be tempted to spend any money on that car. I was wrong. I ended up seeing a lot of potential in the car and started buying parts for that almost immediately. I bought Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers, OEM styling bits, messed around with the interior, Installed a JDM S2000 start button with JDM center garnish, ETC... 2015 marked the end of that project.

My wife and I were married July 19th, 2014. We had the crazy idea of buying an RV and traveling the USA for our honeymoon. After a year of saving our pennies, we realized that we weren't going to be able to take our honeymoon trip unless I sold some of my toys. The Element ended up being sold to a dealership for a huge loss, but I was able to pay off my loan and put a couple thousand dollars into our honeymoon fund. The next week we took a month and drove a 1987 4cyl Toyota motorhome that I had purchased in 2014 10k miles around the USA, making stops at family and friends' homes along the way. I have no regrets, but I do hate seeing my old Element being driven by someone who doesn't take care of it. (I live in a rural area and I see this car weekly).

I've come back to this site because after selling my Element I was searching for the perfect CB, and I accidentally found a decent deal on a 1994 Acura Vigor GS. I know a Vigor isn't an Accord, but the styling and everything about it reminds me of some kind of hybrid between my old Accord and my RSX. Needless to say, I am enjoying this Vigor a lot!

I've started gathering parts for this venture already. Financially irresponsible? You bet! I bought the Vigor in September of 2015 with 89k miles on it for $1000. It needed a little bit of work, but nothing serious. Or so I thought. It had a timing belt and water pump service due at 90k, and I assumed that the previous owner of this car had never had it done. 89k miles on a timing belt isn't a huge deal, but assuming it was the original belt and pump from 1994 had me concerned, so I brought it to the dealership for the service. Normally I do my own maintenance and labor, but there's something about the engine timing that has always intimidated me. I wasn't willing to sacrifice the engine on my newly acquired vehicle, so I decided against doing the job myself. I've already put new brake rotors and pads in the rear, bought stainless steel brake lines, replaced a couple ABS harnesses, replaced the clock spring in the steering wheel, and even threw on my old mishimoto intake that came off my RSX. This car has a ton of potential, maybe not so much with engine upgrades, but with styling ques for sure.

So far, I've collected a JDM Honda grill from Japan, window visors from Japan (not sure if oem JDM), JDM fender markers, and a Megan Muffler (since my exhaust is shot anyway). I am still very actively working with a friend in New Zealand who is scouting junkyards for me looking for the JDM headlights (which were standard issue in New Zealand) and a few other goodies, like the Honda steering wheel airbag, and the orange JDM bumper turn signals. Sadly, I used to own two sets of the JDM Vigor headlights back when I had my CB9, and had one of those sets custom fit to my CB9. The other set I sold years ago. Now, of course, the JDM Vigor headlights are near impossible to find.

Aside from a small amount of quarter panel rust that I've patched temporarily, the car is solid and is getting ready for body work and a paint job this coming spring, at which point I will install all of my acquired JDM parts. I know the Vigor is a rarely talked about platform and is extremely limited as far as aftermarket parts go, but I find that to be a bit of a luxury. If I owned a CB, I'd be following that theory that "a project is never truly finished", and I'd be constantly spending money trying to create something I was happy with. Which is fine, I'd love to do that again...but the Vigor has a finish line within sight. Using the JDM guidelines for this project, I'm really only looking at investing in a limited market of Japanese parts until I run out of available parts, at which point I will be complete. My goal for this car is to reach the point where I have a fully daily-capable vehicle with every JDM part I can find, minus the right-hand stuff. (I'm not that invested into this project).

You're going to find all sorts of poor attempts at Vigor builds online, and even the good ones are outfitted with improper parts because the owner failed to do their homework. I am blown away when I see a Vigor that someone has clearly invested a ton of money into, and they are using parts from a CB5, Inspire, Etc, and end up with a B*astardchild of a car, littered with JDM parts that don't belong. I fully intend on applying what I've learned from my research and only use parts that belong to the CC2 platform, unless it's something under the hood that can be adapted. I hope that I am able to create something amazing in the near future. I've got a good pace going, and if I can keep at it, I will hopefully have something put together by the end of 2016 that I am happy with.

I thank everyone for reading my intro and taking the time to get to know how I ended up back here. I hope to have another CB7 or even a CB9 again soon, so here's to a successful 2016!

Here's some of the pictures I still have from the last days of my CB9 (keep in mind it was 2007 and body kits were just about at the end of their popularity):

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Vermonter; 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM. Reason: Updating Title
    CC2 Vigor.

My RSX:

CC2 Vigor.

Comment

My Element:

CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Current Vigor:

Last edited by Vermonter; 02-09-2016, 05:58 PM.
        CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Seeing how much effort you put into your other rides I look forward too seeing where this Vigor ends up.
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Interesting video you're watching in the Element. Educational.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
              Seeing how much effort you put into your other rides I look forward too seeing where this Vigor ends up.
              I appreciate it! I'm excited to take on a vehicle that has an available Japanese parts market, unlike my Element that had nothing available because they were only released in Japan from 03-05, which was 5 years before my model year!

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
              Interesting video you're watching in the Element. Educational.
              We had a good laugh that day. I'm glad you caught that!
              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

See, this is why I have stuck around this forum and not let the non-sense that is the Facebook group bring me down!

Clean rides dude! And I agree, the Vigor is like the older cousin of the cb7. I love the inset yellow fogs/drl???

Always loved that look and such a clean example.

Excited to see your progress!

And what a great idea for a Honeymoon!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                  See, this is why I have stuck around this forum and not let the non-sense that is the Facebook group bring me down!

Clean rides dude! And I agree, the Vigor is like the older cousin of the cb7. I love the inset yellow fogs/drl???

Always loved that look and such a clean example.

Excited to see your progress!

And what a great idea for a Honeymoon!

I appreciate the sentiments.
                  Yes, the yellow lights on the Vigor are the OEM Fog lights and only come on with the low beams. On my old Element, however, I switched out the DRL bulbs for the golden yellow bulbs and it added a nice touch. I'll admit, I am a sucker for yellow fog lights and I've had them on every car since my Vigor-headlight conversion on my CB9.

The honeymoon roadtrip was one of the best things I've done with my life. There's so much to see out there. If you are interested in a link to our facebook page that followed our trip, I would be happy to pm the link to you.
                  CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermonter View Post
                    I appreciate the sentiments.
                    Yes, the yellow lights on the Vigor are the OEM Fog lights and only come on with the low beams. On my old Element, however, I switched out the DRL bulbs for the golden yellow bulbs and it added a nice touch. I'll admit, I am a sucker for yellow fog lights and I've had them on every car since my Vigor-headlight conversion on my CB9.

The honeymoon roadtrip was one of the best things I've done with my life. There's so much to see out there. If you are interested in a link to our facebook page that followed our trip, I would be happy to pm the link to you.
                    Im a sucker for the yellow fogs as well. I have a set of 1300 lumen yellow LED bulbs on their way to me with my HID kit for my Accord.

Yea man, id check it out! PM away!

Comment

Welcome local-ish person! I went thru a few cbs myself but still have my 92 wagon that I bought in 2003.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

very nice rides. I excited to see what the vigor has in store.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                          Welcome local-ish person! I went thru a few cbs myself but still have my 92 wagon that I bought in 2003.
                          I see the poor thing is in need of some attention, I'm sad to see the progress you were making come to an end. Good luck in the future, I hope you find the time and funds to get it back on the road!

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                          very nice rides. I excited to see what the vigor has in store.
                          Thank you, I'm excited as well and I'm trying to be very patient.
                          CC2 Vigor.

Comment

It is in need of help. Still starts up and runs great even after sitting outside for 2 years.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I mentioned earlier that my exhaust is shot. To elaborate more, the center pipe is broken at the point where it meets the flange on the muffler pipe. Upon further inspection, I also have to replace my rubber exhaust hangers, as they are completely worn out and are ready to let the remainder of my exhaust fall off. I don't know if any of you have driven a 5cyl Honda without a muffler, but it's extremely painful on the ears. I am heading down to the local muffler shop now to get an estimate on welding up the new Megan muffler with all new exhaust piping. I'm not too concerned with having a full 2.5" exhaust, as the research I've done tells me these Vigor engines are extremely restricted and a larger diameter pipe is not beneficial.
                              I will report back.

Here's a couple pictures of the parts I've received so far;
                              I'm still waiting on the grill and the Muffler should be here tomorrow.

Visors:

Fender markers:

I'm going to say with almost absolute certainty that the visors are an OEM dealership add on in Japan. There are NO markings anywhere on them, yet the quality is superior to anything I've seen as far as aftermarket visors go. I seem to remember my JDM RSX visors were also unmarked, and they were OEM in Japan.
                              Last edited by Vermonter; 02-02-2016, 10:49 PM.
                              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Working...
                              X