Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Overheating and fan won't stop running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating and fan won't stop running!

Hey!

Just the other day, my car idles up and down from about 800 to 2000. After I drive anywhere, my fan kicks on just as I turn my car off and get out. Then just today, it started overheating when I drove 10 miles to walmart.

Please help me! I have no idea.

There's plenty of info here, just search

Idle issue? IACV, FITV, or Vac issue.

It's normal for the fan to kick on after driving. Check resistance of the switch anyway.

Overheating problem could be a number of things. Are you going through coolant?

life is good.

Comment

Thank you! I'm going to have to check the coolant tomorrow! It's waaaay to cold to go out tonight. It probably is leaking though. Last time I checked, it was bubbling out of the fill tank a tiny bit. I plan on replacing the whole thing soon.

Comment

Have you checked the coolant level?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
          Have you checked the coolant level?
          Not yet. What radiator do you have? It looks sick!

Comment

Originally posted by dbrooks View Post
            Check that first before anything else.
            I have a Half size Aluminium Radiator on mine.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

What brand makes it??

Thanks d00dz.

Comment

Check/Replace Radiator cap, test for proper thermostat operation, but I'm 99% sure that if you saw coolant bubbling out the fill tank, your headgasket is toast. Especially if you notice any disapearing coolant, but no signs of visible leaks.

What ends up happening, is exhaust gasses escape into the cooling system, and it creates a high pressure bubble in your cooling system. Once the pressure of the radiator cap is met, it starts pushing coolant and/or exhaust gasses into your resevoir, which eventually gets full, and overflows (Oh the irony in the name of the overflow bottle)

FYI you add coolant by removing the radiator cap, and loosening the nipple on the thermostat housing to bleed air bubbles out of the system as you fill the radiator, when the coolant coming out of the nipple no longer contains bubbles, tighten it up, while topping off the radiator.

Oh and air bubbles in your cooling system has been known to cause idle issues for other members (even though its never happened to me)
                Last edited by cloudasc; 02-15-2010, 01:18 AM.
                PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by dbrooks View Post
                  as for your idleing problem..its air bubbles that get stuck in your iac sensor..and you probly def got a head gasket problem. check the front of the block to see if the is a green residue on it..if so then def got a bad head gasket. and the "rad" u r talkin about is a intercooler (its for a turbo setup)

Comment

demon has a giant front mount all up in there...

life is good.

Comment

For head gasket problems -Check to see if exessive steam is coming from your tail pipe too. This is a sign of water getting in the combustion chambers.

It may be difficult to tell in cold weather though. Another method is to check for milky or milking engine oil via the dip stick or oil filler cap.

However another possibility for the overheat is a faulty thermostat that doesnt open up completly or stuck shut. Remove and replace or just plain remove it for now and see if it still overheats.
                      Rides:

Accord
                      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                        Check/Replace Radiator cap, test for proper thermostat operation, but I'm 99% sure that if you saw coolant bubbling out the fill tank, your headgasket is toast. Especially if you notice any disapearing coolant, but no signs of visible leaks.
                        I disagree as I once made a mistake of not reconnecting the electric fans after removing a radiator and the car overheated. The car had boiling water trying to come out of the reservoir (since it has a screw top lid) but it didnt mean the cars head was blown.

Water trying to make its way to the reservoir in my opinion is due to the overheating (not necessary a head gasket problem). A head gasket problem can lead to overheating but overheating is not necessarily a head gasket problem.
                        Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                        88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

Goodluck and let us know how you go.

Cooling is a major problem and would like to know your fix so i can keep it mind when my one plays up.
                          Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

True dat. I think I'll just replace the head gasket and try that. I've done as much as I can to try to fix it today. I do think I noticed some of the green residue though. Where's a good place to buy a new head gasket? Advanced auto parts? Let me know so I can stop by after work tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for everything. It's GREATLY appreciated!

Comment

let me know what the Idle Problem turned out to be im curious

Comment

Working...
                              X