Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New idea for a better brake setup but cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New idea for a better brake setup but cheap!

Ok. So I have come up with this crazy fucking concoction to have a what I’m going to call the little brother brake upgrade.
    I’m not going to release detailed info until I am finished with install/ mock up. From what I have gathered here is a cheap alternative to a better brake caliper as well as to be able to attempt to keep STOCK WHEELS! This will require a bracket that I plan on making. But I will tell you this is a stock accord rotor from a 99 ex 4 cylinder which is the same size as all but a wagon rotors at 262 mm. Now if I do get this to work and function properly you will end up with 4 piston calipers while being able to keep any wheel you want at about 1/3 of the price of a used Acura rl caliper.

The cost of these calipers ar $50 each and pads at the economic version are only $25 a set. If I do end up with a sufficient bracket that I will make. Pricing for the bracket will be in the neighborhood of $75-$90 pair. With all of that your ending price should be around $200-$230

That’s a big chunk of change difference compared to Acura rl. Also these calipers come new with warranty’s! For half a Acura used caliper!

There is a small down side compared to the rl swap. The rl calipers are bigger and can handle a bigger rotor setup. Bigger rotors/ calipers mean better stopping power hence why I am naming this the little brother brake upgrade kit.

P.s our stock accord calipers are about 60$ a piece give or take depending on area sold and store bought from.

Let me know what you guys think. I may be able to make this work for a multiple year range like 90-99.

my new turbo build

Nice. So a 10.3" rotor vs a 11.1"? But for example, I could keep my EBC drilled / slotted rotors but have 4 piston calipers?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      Nice. So a 10.3" rotor vs a 11.1"? But for example, I could keep my EBC drilled / slotted rotors but have 4 piston calipers?
      Yes a 10 in rotor or in layman’s the any 90-99 accord stock rotor as long as it’s not a wagon. Wagon has a 11.1 or 282mm rotor. These calipers are big enough for a 282mm/11 in rotor. I may end up making multiple brackets to go with each size rotor or if I can make the bracket strong enough to be able have multiple mounting points to save on supply costs.

my new turbo build

Comment

Interesting. Great R&D going on here. #subscribed.
        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Alright time for a update on the little brother brake setup!

This is not going to be as simple as I thought. My first initial thought was the ears for the 4 piston caliper were going to be close enough to just sit between the stock mounting ears of the spindle.
          They do how ever they are not enough. They touch the factory ears by about 3/16 inch on each ear. This could be solved easily by a grinder to allow the ears to pass in between each other.

I also took measurements on the front side. These 4 pot calipers as slightly wider by 1/4 inch. This is still great news. They will fit with stock wheels as well as a large majority of after market wheels. Unlike the Acura rl calipers where you have to have a really big offset.

Also even from a stock rotor setup this thing just looks sexy! It’s not on all the way cause I have to do the grinding but still! They just scream aggressive! Some paint and a sticker with a shaved service would just set the wheels off really well. I’m gonna do some more work tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy. Here’s some pics of measuring. And the back of ears

my new turbo build

Comment

hmmmm me thinks a caliper made for a 11.1" rotor should be used with that size rotor. (just thinking out loud... and may be way off on my thinking )

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              hmmmm me thinks a caliper made for a 11.1" rotor should be used with that size rotor. (just thinking out loud... and may be way off on my thinking )
              I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the thread, but .............
              Really like to watch this and see where it goes ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I don't think the stock calipers are different for the 10 and 11" rotors, I think the the knuckle is different to mount the caliper a half inch further out. When we upgraded to 11" disks on our race car I did it by getting the whole knuckle assembly off a 99 CL, but we used our old rotors since they fit the race pads we use and they had been recently rebuilt. It works great.

FYI I'll express my boring old opinion here that the stock breaks on our accords are plenty. If you can lock up your tires and you don't experience fade, the calipers / pads are not a limiting factor. You want to break better, get stickier tires. We upgraded ours because at Sonoma we we brake from about 90 to about 40 3 times every 2 minutes and from around 70 to about 40 another 3 times, for 7 hours straight. We were cooking our pads and running out of compound too fast, even race compound pads. But even then we never boiled our fluid or had loss of breaking force. The extra inch and brake ducts made all the difference in the world, but ours is an extreme case. No street car ever has to do anything like that.

eidt
                oh shoot just realized I was answering a really old thread. oh well
                Last edited by ukemike; 02-09-2021, 02:15 PM.
                ==========================
                1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Working...
                X