Looking for good used SUV options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for good used SUV options

2nd kid on the way, and would like plenty of extra room and AWD/4x4. I have a few in mind, and would like to avoid buying new if possible. Considering 2005+ MDXs, Toyota, Lexus, Nissans possibly and preferably under $20k. Hopefully not more than 100k miles on the odo.

Not really considering Fords/Chevy - The wife does NOT want a full size. The Chevy Traverse I like, but they are too expensive and the newer Ford's reliability, from what I've read, is not what it should be.

Opinions?
    Drivability?
    Reliability?

Post up and THANKS!
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

You'll have to decide what you want the vehicle for outside of people moving, ie towing, hauling etc.

You could probably get a new 2013 Rogue S AWD for quite close to the 20K point at this time. My Mom's 2012 was close to that.

However, if you plan on towing anything, you might want to go with something like a 4Runner, and you'll end up paying a lot for that.

Comment

I would say like a CR-V, Crosstour, Pilot, RDX, ZDX, or MDX. Stay Honda. They all come with AWD/4WD. If you went old enough you could get a manual CR-V that's AWD and build the crap out of it, that would be badass.

Other than that a Crosstours/ZDXs are cool. I would get a Crosstour and put Accord Wagon emblems on it. But that's just me.
      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I've been in a newer Honda Pilot, and I was honestly impressed by it. Cars.com has a number of 2010+ Pilots for under $20,000.

Given the choice for a 4wd family hauler, I'd go Honda over any other brand... mainly due to my familiarity with the brand.
        Unless you have a burning desire to impress the neighbors with a luxury brand, I wouldn't bother with Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti. You'll be paying more for the brand name, and more again whenever you repair it. Unless those brands have features you absolutely can't live without, I'd stay away.

Mazda's CX5 and CX7 have a pretty good reputation as well, though I have little experience with the brand.

I've had a couple friends that have had lousy experiences with Hyundai/Kia SUVs, so I'd advise against those as well.

The Germans are just too pricey for anything worth owning.

I'd stay away from American. I'd consider new, possibly... but having owned a number of American cars (including my current CTS-V)... I wouldn't recommend them for something you need to rely on. American cars really just can't compete with the Japanese yet!

Comment

I'm looking at 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Overland models myself. The length of my driveway was the limiting factor at 200"

To me they represent good value for money. With average mileage for a 10 year old vehicle, you can get a well maintained one for what I see as the lowest depreciated value.

The engines when well maintained last quite a while. The coolant system in the 4.7 is its weak point, the 4.0L have been around for a while. Chassis is rated to tow up to 6500 and 5000 Lbs.

They do roll a bit from side to side, but I have read that can be fixed with upgraded sway bars. Factory one are something like 1/2" and addco bars are 1".

I think they have a classic look that will age well(Limited model pictured):

More info Here (common faults in post #7): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...guide-1271979/

Comment

Working...
          X