Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

rev limit for built f22 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rev limit for built f22 head

i have an f22 head with bisimoto titanium valve springs and retainers. the camshaft is a level 2 with skunk2 cam gear. What rpm can i top off the limit safely at? or maximum? keep in the mind the bottom is stock. i was thinking 7200 or 8000. what do you guys think?

Be Clean

Your best bet would be to ask Bisimoto what their springs are rated at.

However, with that valvespring setup... I would think that your bottom end (assuming that it's stock) would be in trouble long before your head is. If your bottom end is stock, I wouldn't rev higher than the stock redline. You definitely don't want to put a piston into that semi-built head of yours.

Comment

Correct. Your crank shaft has more to do with the redline of your motor than your camshafts do. If you try to spin it faster than what it is designed to do, you'll cause some serious damage. I know from talking to Julio at Bisimoto that he has an F22A stroker crank that may be able to be customized to your goals.

What intrigues me is why you went with a Skunk2 Cam Gear? Didn't even know they made such for an F22A. I imagine Bisi would have gotten you his for cheaper?
      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

7.5k, block limited
        so your head will be fine, some teflon rocker spacers would'nt hurt
        at 7.5 your 95mm crankshaft with its shitty rod/stroke ratio will be around the max you can spin it daily
        if you feel you need to spin to 8 to make power you're doing something wrong
        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Have you done any research? The level 2 powerband is advertised to max out by 5900 RPM. Your statements are unrealistic.

In my experience, if you wish to obtain anything near 100K miles of engine durability, I would not aim more than 7000 RPM on stock block. Use a quality engine oil. The lower the mileage on the stock block the better and with proper maintenance history.

The camshaft is the major contributor in determining your RPM powerband, but the block geometry can be a limiting factor if your camshaft is capable of more RPM. The engine components should be designed or chosen to work together toward a common goal.
          Last edited by HondaFan81; 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
            Correct. Your crank shaft has more to do with the redline of your motor than your camshafts do. If you try to spin it faster than what it is designed to do, you'll cause some serious damage. I know from talking to Julio at Bisimoto that he has an F22A stroker crank that may be able to be customized to your goals.

What intrigues me is why you went with a Skunk2 Cam Gear? Didn't even know they made such for an F22A. I imagine Bisi would have gotten you his for cheaper?
            They only made the Tuner series of Cam gear, there wasnt a Pro version made, and from the looks of it, they dont even make the Tuner ones anymore. And if I remember right they were on par with Bisi's price.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Joey, the head does play a role in rev limits. Valve float can occur when you rev too high. Of course, his upgraded valve springs make that a non-issue.

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
              Have you done any research? The level 2 powerband is advertised to max out by 5900 RPM. Your statements are unrealistic.
              That's the most important thing to consider, right there. How high do you NEED to rev? If 5900 is where the Stage 2 camshaft stops really making power, you don't need to rev much higher than that... and that is safely within the engine's limits (not that it isn't still a strain on the internal parts, but the engine was designed to rev that high, at least!)

What you really need to do is figure out where your engine's powerband is. Find where the power really begins, and then find where it drops off. Figure out where you need to shift up high so that the next gear will start in the powerband. That will determine your maximum necessary RPM. This can be done on a dyno, or by trial and error on a track. Start low, and work your way up. You don't need to rev to the moon... especially if you're not making any significant power up high anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Joey, the head does play a role in rev limits. Valve float can occur when you rev too high. Of course, his upgraded valve springs make that a non-issue.

That's the most important thing to consider, right there. How high do you NEED to rev? If 5900 is where the Stage 2 camshaft stops really making power, you don't need to rev much higher than that... and that is safely within the engine's limits (not that it isn't still a strain on the internal parts, but the engine was designed to rev that high, at least!)
                I was alluding to that, but guess I should have went further into detail with it. And now that you mention it, if he has Stage 2 cams, he should have dynoed the car anyway, and his tuner should have been able to tell him where he needs to shift and he should know his powerband. You don't do those kinds of mods without taking the proper precautions.....or he'll be back to an F22A in no time.
                '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

with bisimoto's spring pressures, id rev it past 8k. hell ive done that on my stock valvetrain on accident.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    with bisimoto's spring pressures, id rev it past 8k. hell ive done that on my stock valvetrain on accident.
                    You have to remember that its not only about valvetrain but also the block as Deev stated . If he spends a lot of money on the valvetrain and then throw a rod because his block is stock and can't handle the power the head can , his head work will just be a waste after a piston goes through it .

Comment

Originally posted by mjsstanley View Post
                      You have to remember that its not only about valvetrain but also the block as Deev stated . If he spends a lot of money on the valvetrain and then throw a rod because his block is stock and can't handle the power the head can , his head work will just be a waste after a piston goes through it .
                      thats not what the OP was asking.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Well, since he said "keep in mind, the bottom end is stock", I assume that means he understands that the bottom end offers some limitations as well (and he clearly underestimates those limitations...)

Comment

Working...
                        X