Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Looking for a comfortable setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a comfortable setup

I just got my first car. it is a 91 accord EX automatic . everything is stock.
    I found it is quit noisy on the road and not a smooth drive .

I would like to know what kind of upgrade will be able to reduce the road noise and bouncy ride. I don't necessary need a performance upgrade, but really want to improve the driving experience.

Sorry that My question maybe not detail enough, I don't really know how to explain in technical terms.

I don't have an unlimited budget, maybe about $1000 in upgrade budget

Originally posted by xnonox View Post
    I just got my first car. it is a 91 accord EX automatic . everything is stock.
    I found it is quit noisy on the road and not a smooth drive .

I would like to know what kind of upgrade will be able to reduce the road noise and bouncy ride. I don't necessary need a performance upgrade, but really want to improve the driving experience.

Sorry that My question maybe not detail enough, I don't really know how to explain in technical terms.

I don't have an unlimited budget, maybe about $1000 in upgrade budget
    i know you said its hard to describe but try and break it down. When do you hear the "road noise" when idling, when foot is on the gas pedal/accelerating. When you say bumpy ride, maybe your suspensions gone... You said everything is stock. Whats the mileage on the car?
    Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Btw, welcome to the site
      Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

I assume that you're asking about a suspension upgrade, correct?

Your bouncy ride is most likely due to blown shocks... which are very dangerous.
        If you do not want to lower your car, your options are numerous. You can replace all your shocks with brand new ones... I suggest Koni STR.T, KYB GR2, or Tokico HP. All three will work well as stock replacements, and offer a slight increase in performance over stock.
        As long as your springs aren't damaged, you can reuse them. If they are damaged (cracked, bent, or cut/heated by a previous owner) then you can get replacements... decent junkyard springs may work just fine. If you want new, you can find some decent aftermarket springs by H&R and Tein that will work as mild upgrades (you will lower your car very slightly with their springs.)

Additionally, you'll want to replace all ball joints and bushings. Getting these through Honda would be smart. You can upgrade the bushings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, but that will make your ride a bit stiffer... probably not what you want.

Be sure to get an alignment after replacing suspension components.

$1000 should cover what I mentioned, especially if you can do the work yourself.
        Whatever you do, don't cheap out on suspension components. There are some VERY cheap parts out there that make the quality parts seem outrageously priced in comparison... but those cheap parts simply aren't safe.

Comment

i remember my car used to make alot of noise at stoplights and when it idled. changing the motor mounts cut out all the vibrating and made for a smoother ride

Comment

Thank You for all the reply.

My car is only 75000 miles, I bought it from an old woman in church.
            She is the 1st owner and she did all the maintenance on time.

I very first I notice is that the car will shake while I put it in reverse.

second, when I speed up , i can feel the jerk when shifting gear. it is like the car hit something and stop for a split second.

While driving on a highway or any road, I will feel the change of the road condition , whether it is a rough or smooth road.

The road noise is loud enough that i need to turn the volume to maximum when i listen to radio

Comment

Thank You for all the reply.

My car is only 75000 miles, I bought it from an old woman in church.
              She is the 1st owner and she did all the maintenance on time.

I very first I notice is that the car will shake while I put it in reverse.

second, when I speed up , i can feel the jerk when shifting gear. it is like the car hit something and stop for a split second.

While driving on a highway or any road, I will feel the change of the road condition , whether it is a rough or smooth road.

The road noise is loud enough that i need to turn the volume to maximum when i listen to radio
              it can also be one of your engine mounts. i replaced mine and it made a big difference vibration wise

Comment

how do I know if an engine mount is bad, can I do a visual check?

Comment

If the rubber is torn, or the bolt isn't centered, the mount is shot. After 20 years, it's very likely that the mounts are done, or close to it.

If the road noise you're hearing is a roar, that's the tires. Replace the tires and get an alignment.

Change the transmission fluid, as I'm sure it has never been changed before. Use Honda ATF only. Nothing else.
                  Is your S light flashing? That would be indicating a transmission computer error code. (just as your check engine light indicates an engine computer error code.)

Comment

I open the hood to check the mount, I only see 3 big black blocks with a rubber fitting that are attached to the engine and a fish bone looking arm , I am not sure if those are the engine mount.

however, rubber bushing on the fish bone looking thing is broken.

so that is definitely something wrong, but the rest of the black blocks looks just fine.

the tires still have lots of tread and looks new.
                    they are Micheline tires.
                    Does different type of tires have effects on road noise?
                    what kind of tire I ll need to eliminate the road noise.
                    Also, do bad alinement cause road noise?

I am not sure if the transmission fluid is change with Honda ATF regularly.
                    Do I have to bring my car to a honda dealer to change the Honda ATF, or it is something I can buy at local store (autozone?).

The S light is working regular and not flashing, however, I cant really tell the difference with S light turned on while driving.

Comment

That fish bone as you call it is the front mount. The only mount that isn't a load-bearing mount, it's there to help counteract engine movement. Replacing that would help some.

Lots of tread and looking new mean nothing. Look up common tire wear issues, specifically cupping. If that occurred, you'll experience noise and vibration.
                      And yes, different types of tires will affect road noise. Most tire websites have noise as one of the things each tire is rated on.

Bad alignment can cause noise. It essentially results in your tires dragging across the pavement.

Most people do not even think to change their fluid... so it's a good assumption that it has never been changed. You can only get Honda ATF from Honda. You can have it changed there, at a local shop, or do it yourself in your own garage. It's just fluid... Honda automatics are just rather picky, and Honda ATF is guaranteed to work as best as possible. Do not put any additives in the fluid.

The "sport" mode really just raises the shift points at partial throttle. It's not a very useful thing for most people.

Comment

however, rubber bushing on the fish bone looking thing is broken.

the tires still have lots of tread and looks new.
                        they are Micheline tires.

Do I have to bring my car to a honda dealer to change the Honda ATF, or it is something I can buy at local store (autozone?).
                        the mount could cause uncomfortable-ness

michelin is a really good brand of tires so your good there

Take it to the Honda dealer if you do not know how to change the transmission fluid. If you do know how, Continue to the Honda dealership and buy 3 Quarts of Honda brand Automatic transmission fluid.
                        make sure you tell them what year. it should be around 26 bucks total.

deev beat me to it. hes quick, but right. haha
                        -Tyler

Comment

door gaskets probably need replacement also.

Be Clean

Comment

I ll replace the front engine mount and change the transition fluid first.

Thank you everybody.

Comment

I ll replace the front engine mount and change the transition fluid first.

Thank you everybody.
                              I'm thinking about doing the same too. Where is a good place to get the engine mounts? Are auto parts good or should I get them at Honda?

Comment

Working...
                              X