No announcement yet.

Bad brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm having the sinking pedal syndrome too. How much should i pay for a BMC and where can i get one from? thanks!
    BBB= Black Bumpered Beauty

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

'98 Prelude (BB6) Type SH

Comment

Most everywhere I went offered $93-107, this site was cheap...

https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/l...Token=97681814

Hers's another below average prices...

http://www.expressautoparts.com/Part...ter%20Cylinder

Here's from discount auto...

http://webepc.com/cgi-bin/sewse?/u/w...12.cmm+discap1

But I'm no mechanic...so I'm guessing 100-150 installed...?
      I'll ask my mechanic and report back.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

If youre having brake problems, i'd say redo everything! Replace the rotors, pads, brake fluid, master cylinder, and calipers, that is if u havent done it for a long time. But i will warn you replacing the rotors is a biatch, here's my DIY for the rotors if u want to do it.

1. Tools: 36mm axle nut socket (autozone)
        Breaker Bar with 5 ft water pipe for leverage
        2 Jaw Puller (autozone)
        I think a 10mm 12pt socket
        (4)10mm x 1.25 60mm long bolt
        2. If you have rims move the center cap and while the car is on have someone hold the brakes and remove the axle nut. if you dont have rims remove the steelies jack up the car have someone hold the brakes and remove the axle nut.

3. Remove nut on outer tie rod. Seperate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle using the 2 jaw puller.

4. Remove nut on lower control arm. Seperate the lower ball joint from the low control arm using the 2 jaw puller.

5. Remove the caliper and caliper bracket and hold the caliper up with rope or hang it somewhere so it doesnt fall and break the brake line.

6. Now you can seperate the cv joint from the hub.

7. Behind the hub is the 4 bolts. remove those with the 10mm 12pt(i think)

8. With the (4)10mm x 1.25 60mm long bolt insert those in the 4 bolts u just removed in step 7 and screw those in all the way.

9. with a hammer or something else, pound the bolts off. without damaging the bearing.

10. if you cannot remove the hub off the knuckle, remove the upper balljoint off the upper control arm. becareful because when u take off the upper control arm the whole assembly will fall off, so i suggest either having the lower balljoint back in the lower control arm then take off the upper then take the lower off.

11. since you couldnt remove the hub off the knuckle u will need to look in your yellow pages and find an automotive machine shop. they should charge less than $40 to press your hub off your knuckle and while they do that have them install your new rotor too(shouldn't cost anything)!!!!

12. now you have your new rotor and just undo the steps. GOODLUCK!!!!!

oh and for rotors, get brembo blanks or autozone rotors, slotted/drilled are worthless. pads go with hawk hps or axxis ultimates. brake fluid use the valvoline synthetic dot3/4.
        91 4DR Accord LX White Auto
        Generic Mugen Lip
        Generic Intake
        EX 4-2-1 Header
        Dynomax Muffler
        Skunk2 Coilovers 560lb/in and Koni Yellows
        ST Rear Sway Bar
        17" Eagle Alloys/Kumho 711's

Comment

That sounds like an expensive solution. And if it was the Brake Master Cylinder, what good would that do? Regardless, if we were to take this route, how much time/money would we be looking at?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i've had this problem in the past also. so i decided to do it the easy way first so i bleed the brake line and that seemed to fix it ...
            but some times if im hard on the brakes it tends to wanna sink so i depress it a press again and that seems to work so. i don't have a clue on that either. maybe im thinking the seals in the m/c are bad but i haven't checked it out yet.

COLBALT CB7 2NER
            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Bad Brakes

Ok just recently i noticed that i have the same problem as everyone else does. I also believe that it is my BMC gaskets, the only thing i did was went ahead and bleed the brakes,checked all the lines and also check for any damaged or pinched brake lines but, it seems all lines are ok. So the only thing that it can possibly be is my BMC. So im going to go head and go about this and i will keep you updated and let you tuners know if the problem went away or not.

Comment

wOw i guess everyone has this problem. my brakes jus f'd up on me ryte now as well. my pedal would have to go all the way down to get it to stop. 1. my pads are running low. my master cylinder seems to be fine. my rotors have lines on em. and just right now as i wuz getting off the fwy to my house..i pressed my brake...released it..but i felt like the brake was still stuck. i dont know whats wrong with it now. i have used resurfaced D/S rotors which ima put on and some autozone brake pads. hopefully this helps with better braking.
                hi

Comment

you know people with low brake pedals, change ur drum brakes, thats if u have em or re-adjust them..i did mine and its alot better now...
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                    you know people with low brake pedals, change ur drum brakes, thats if u have em or re-adjust them..i did mine and its alot better now...

Yeah you could do that to if its the problem but, yep i knew it this hole time it was my Brake Master Cylinder yep replaced it myself now my brake pedal is as hard as a rock but yeah im pretty happy that was the problem because it only cost $50 bucks got the brake master cylinder from checkers yep what a cheap fix yep.

Comment

Originally posted by tommi
                      i've had this problem in the past also. so i decided to do it the easy way first so i bleed the brake line and that seemed to fix it ...
                      but some times if im hard on the brakes it tends to wanna sink so i depress it a press again and that seems to work so. i don't have a clue on that either. maybe im thinking the seals in the m/c are bad but i haven't checked it out yet.

COLBALT CB7 2NER
                      Yeah had the same exact problem but in my case I tried bleeding the brakes but it didnt seem to work. I think it may be your seals because I had the same problem where the brakes would sink to the floor when it got hot but when it was cold I had no problem. After a while I guess the master cylinder just gave up so I replaced it and now the brake pedal is as hard as a rockyep try it let me know.

Comment

can someone post a DIY on changing the BMC? My Haynes manual does not really explain it.

Comment

Working...
                        X