Dim Output on Fog Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dim Output on Fog Light

Yes.. another fog light post. I've noticed diminished light output on my passenger side fog lamp for quite some time. It looks like there's junk inside the assembly, almost like small twigs and dead bugs. I thought I could vacuum out the dirt and clean up the lenses from the inside. Oops.

I bought Sylvania ZXE's... as Canadian Tire only had those in H3. Driver side looks pretty good, passenger side still crap. The metal behind the rubber seal on the passenger side was very rough and rusted, whereas the driver side was still white. Am I to assume that water has damaged the inside reflector of the passenger side by rusting it out? Here's the best photo I could get of the lights at this moment.

Any thoughts? My bumper isn't in great shape. I'm at the point where I'd rather buy one with better fogs and intersection lights already installed.

the reflectors are rusting.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      the reflectors are rusting.
      The whole bumper is rusting :P but this is what I figured, just wanted to confirm it. Thanks!

There's probably no easy way to replace/fix this, best just to get a new fog light all together?

Comment

Originally posted by Scolirk View Post
        The whole bumper is rusting :P but this is what I figured, just wanted to confirm it. Thanks!

There's probably no easy way to replace/fix this, best just to get a new fog light all together?
        you can disassemble them to get to the reflectors and rechrome them, but thats expensive. mine did the same thing, i tried that chrome spray paint but it didnt last very long, also they were so bad that theres a small metal box reflector that covers the bulb to back scatter it into the reflector, it had pretty much rotted away because its thin..anyway, my plans are to find some aftermarket foglights thatll fit, gut them and put it into the cb7 fog housing. i saw some at like autozone theyre kinda oval shaped that I was thinking would work. but if you can find some place to rechrome them cheap thatd be your best bet. good luck.

Comment

That "chrome" spray paint is more like a silver, and not designed for heat.
          You could take apart the fog light, I would do both just so they match, and if all the reflectors are rusted you could clean them up and try to use aluminum foil tape, the stuff they used for household air ducts. It will be a lot more reflective than the "chrome" spray paint.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by DanCan View Post
            That "chrome" spray paint is more like a silver, and not designed for heat.
            You could take apart the fog light, I would do both just so they match, and if all the reflectors are rusted you could clean them up and try to use aluminum foil tape, the stuff they used for household air ducts. It will be a lot more reflective than the "chrome" spray paint.

thats a really good idea, you can polish it out too with mothers and aluminum has one of the higher reflectivity numbers. i think ill try this, but first ill media blast the reflectors, the paints like crocodile skin now. i can post pics of it if i remember to.

Comment

The tape might work. Depends on how difficult it is to open up the light itself. Probably requires a hair dryer and patience, and a way to reassemble it.

I'm going to try and hit up the local wrecker this week, see if I can get lucky with some nicer fogs. Only once have I seen a wrecker car with fogs. They weren't in good shape, probably still there.

Comment

Working...
              X