Armrest Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armrest Install

Fudge. I've searched all over and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Every thread is about the armrest that sits over the existing centre console, or converting the one I have to fit a 9293.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out. Here's what I'm working with:

It's going in a 90, so no drilling required. The rear screw holes are fine, and I've mounted it with those currently. My question is what to do with this stuff:

I assume they are supposed to connect up with this:

But those little clips won't fit in the holes. I've figured out where/how to screw in the metal piece onto the car but the clips don't seem to fit into the armrest. Normally it wouldn't be a big problem, but my 'trusted' mechanic wrecked the centre console a few months ago when trying to remove a subwoofer the previous owner installed. The small rectangular clips are completely broken, and the small anchors I assume screws would go, are also broken.

Basically the armrest pivots when I open it since it's only mounted on the back. What would be my best bet to secure the console at the front where it meets the shifter?

As always, any help is much appreciated!

I'm sure you know you need the 92-93 front piece. The arm rest will screw into the front piece (shifter console) and the Back just needs 2 screws for those 2 holes, but since it's a 91, Where they screw into is narrower I'm sure. I'll check out the mount at the yard tomorrow. I never seen/used that bracket.

That bracket looks like it fits on that metal piece. Then pop those screw holders in the to secure it. Not sure why or what the plastic screw pieces are there for.
    Last edited by STREET-SPEC; 08-16-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I thought about that after I put it in, maybe these plastic things aren't to pop the two parts together, but rather hold screws in. It's going to be hella hard to get screws in there, but it might be possible if I pop out some of the buttons. I'll try it out tomorrow afternoon and maybe do a DIY for future installers.

Comment

There's no DIY needed. You have a '90-'91 Accord, but you live in Canada, so you never had autobelts. You already have a console that is wide enough to directly drop the armrest in. The install process should have simply been:

Remove front and rear console, replace rear console with armrest, reinstall as one unit.

Do you have a bracket inside the armrest toward the front? It's metal and attaches to the plastic with three screws. Then it has two screw holes to go into the tunnel. Those screws are accessed by removing the lower two switch dummy covers.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Do you have a bracket inside the armrest toward the front? It's metal and attaches to the plastic with three screws. Then it has two screw holes to go into the tunnel. Those screws are accessed by removing the lower two switch dummy covers.
          That's what I was thinking. I'll try it out later today, hopefully I have screws that will work.

Thanks!

Comment

I did manage to get the front bracket mounted, although I could only get 1 screw into it. I'm not sure if the armrest has gotten worn over the years, but at least the 1 screw in the front and 2 in the back keep it in place. There's a bit of a gap and height difference between the shift cover, but I'll have to live with it.

Comment

Working...
            X