Almost Bought a CB9 Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
    Keep your eyes open, something will pop up. The first wagon was definitely a better option then that rice box though. Then again I don't think ive ever bought a car that someone else has modified.
    My hope is to find an un-molested car, like the first one I saw which was original grandpa owned. Apparently it's been sold now, poor wagon is the whore of Ontario, being resold at higher prices to gullible buyers. I hope it doesn't show up on Kijiji again with new photos/new price.

Comment

Just think, you could be the one to make that whore into a housewife. Do the good thing, man.

Is it really a huge deal to get American cars transferred over the border?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        Just think, you could be the one to make that whore into a housewife. Do the good thing, man.

Is it really a huge deal to get American cars transferred over the border?
        I swear I replied to this this morning..

I have looked at importing a wagon from the states, but it appears that the import laws are pretty strict when it comes to vehicle modification beyond repair/maintenance. I've found a few on carsforsale.com and cars.com (I don't know what the de facto sites are in the states), but most are LX trim and are overpriced.

Even if I found a decent one and figured out the import process, our dollar is absolute garbage, which means anything which is already overpriced will cost me 25% more. Then Ontario requires an appraisal, clean air test, and safety certify before being able to license it. With local cars I potentially have the option to take it to my preferred Honda dealer/mechanic, which is why I walked away from #1.

Realistically I doubt I'll find a CB9 worth buying anytime soon. Someone's selling a euro-spec 1999 Mercedes E250S Turbodiesel wagon with a 5speed manual transmission not far from me. It's priced about 2x higher than similar E320 wagons, and it's pretty peasant spec without leather seats, seat heaters, 4matic, headlight washers, and potentially sunroof. At it's $9.5k ask price I could have easily bought a CB9 and restored it, but I also have to deal with a significant other who doesn't understand that manual wagons are life.

Comment

Find a 1989 or 1990 Skyline. Any trim will do. Buy it cheap. They're old news in Canada, but US buyers are all in a tizzy over them because they're legal to import now.
          Sell it to someone in the US for a profit.

For example: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Needs some cosmetic work, it says... but it's cheap. And it's a GTS-T, which is right under the GTR on the desirability scale.
          $4000 CAD. That's currently a little more than $3000 USD (you're right, your dollar IS crap right now... what the hell happened?)
          You could probably sell it to a US buyer quickly for $6000 USD. You just doubled your money.
          That would net you either a decent Benz wagon, or a CB9 with a great deal of restoration (or just a pristine bone-stock US model.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Find a 1989 or 1990 Skyline. Any trim will do. Buy it cheap. They're old news in Canada, but US buyers are all in a tizzy over them because they're legal to import now.
            Sell it to someone in the US for a profit.

For example: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Needs some cosmetic work, it says... but it's cheap. And it's a GTS-T, which is right under the GTR on the desirability scale.
            $4000 CAD. That's currently a little more than $3000 USD (you're right, your dollar IS crap right now... what the hell happened?)
            You could probably sell it to a US buyer quickly for $6000 USD. You just doubled your money.
            That would net you either a decent Benz wagon, or a CB9 with a great deal of restoration (or just a pristine bone-stock US model.)
            It's funny, but I think I'm the only person on this planet who cant care less about the Nissan Skyline, or the new GT-R. Had I had cash 5/10 years ago to invest in one for the sole purpose of re-selling to the US market, I'd be a rich man. There's an imported Audi RS2 Avant in Toronto... those might become more profitable come 2020.

Assuming the past few days of beyond garbage stock market losses doesn't push the global economy back into a recession I'll end up getting something early September. Just waiting on another commission cheque.

I'm thinking the CB9 needs to go on the back burner. My sedan's started to exhibit serious problems and the wife isn't happy. Doesn't bode well trying to convince her another 23+ year old car is a good buy.

Comment

Working...
            X