1999 Mercedes E250S TD Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 Mercedes E250S TD Wagon

Well it's certainly not a CB9, but it's something that's been on my radar for half a year now. Someone's imported a 1999 Mercedes-Benz E250 Turbodiesel wagon from Europe with a 5 speed manual transmission. There isn't a lot of information about this car online, it appears the E300 inline 6 3.0L Turbodiesel engine was significantly more popular, but here's some photos from the classifieds ad.

Over the past year I've been looking at replacing the Accord with a newer/safer/more modern daily driver for the family and the Real Estate business. I've looked at almost every kind of car on earth, but have narrowed things down to the S210/W210 Mercedes E-Class wagon, the S211/W211 Mercedes E-Class, the E38 7-Series BMW and E39 5-Series wagon.

This specific Merc intrigues me. I gravitate towards the unique, and this wagon is certainly unique in North America. It's not the best engine, nor is the trim level appealing, but the diesel is a huge consideration factor, and the manual is definitely a plus for me, and a huge NO from my significant other.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience with these older Mercedes', specifically when it comes to upgrading them. I'd want to replace the seats and doors from that of a US spec leather car, but not sure if the seat heater wires are 'roughed in', or if I'd have to pull all the wiring from a donor car. Same goes for headlamp washers, and factory navigation. I know with the nav I can relatively easily get the console parts swapped.

Obviously I'd be best posting this on MBWorld, but I'm not quiet at that stage yet. For the price I'm going to need to wait at least until September before making the purchase, and would want a MB dealership to inspect it prior to ensure it's worth the import tax price the seller is asking.

I'm sorry. I hope you got some kind of extended warranty
    www.850fab.com
    IG - @850Fab
    FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Hey hey! I have a W210 here (had) but gave it to my father. So far it's been decent. Lots of minor electrical problems but a solid beast. Suspension is easy as cake to work on. I would keep it stock and upgrade little pieces like the steering wheel, audio system, and rims.

You're so lucky you guys have the manual transmission diesels. I am so jealous.

Comment

I haven't bought it yet. And we get the same US-Spec cars here, this one just happens to be imported from Europe somewhere. Found out there's no sunroof, which seems like a silly detail to but I was hoping it would have one.

Comment

Have you looked into Volvo v70/850 wagons?

Comment

Neat. Id rock it.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Punkrampant View Post
              Have you looked into Volvo v70/850 wagons?
              I have to say that the exterior of Volvo wagon's are spot on in my tastes, but the interior dash feels too utilitarian for me. I'm going to start narrowing things down soon and test drive some cars.

I think I'll once again pass on this wagon, as I had planned to view it back in March when it was first listed. For $9,500, I could buy a 2000 E55 AMG with lower KMs, navigation, sunroof, parking sensors, full service history and a wicked turquoise colour.

My wife is past the point of annoyed with me. I change my mind every few days. I'm dreaming about the E55 today, but tomorrow I might want a first generation Odyssey. I'll end up making a stupid purchase and pay for it for years and years on service and maintenance.

Comment

Nice! Where in Europe did it come from? Why not post on benzworld.org? If I recall correctly, that generation of diesel motor does respond very well to performance mods. Don't try and run veggie oil. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Prez808 View Post
                  Nice! Where in Europe did it come from? Why not post on benzworld.org? If I recall correctly, that generation of diesel motor does respond very well to performance mods. Don't try and run veggie oil. Keep us posted!
                  Not sure which country it actually came from. Will ask if the seller gets back to me, since he was out of town this week.

I wouldn't be doing any performance mods if I picked it up, just upgrading it's peasant spec from cloth seats to leather/heat, and a nav unit.

The only 'performance' change I'd make would be with an engine swap. I've done zero research into these cars, but I would assume if the chassis can support the 3.0L I6 Turbodiesel then it should be possible to swap out the engines, assuming the transmission hooks up to it.

We'll find out if I have a chance to see it.

Comment

Be careful with something like that, though. The engine will likely run forever, as MB diesels are absolutely bulletproof... but the late 90s weren't the best time for the company in regards to pretty much everything else. Lots of expensive electronic gizmos and complicated wiring. When things fail, they usually fail BIG. If you buy it, be sure you leave some extra money in reserve just to fix anything major that breaks.

Do some research on the particular model as well. Be sure that there aren't any major components that are limited to the European model only, as that will increase the cost and time needed to fix it, if you have to special order parts from overseas! I don't think Mercedes Benz is as bad as the Japanese automakers in that regard, though. Still... better to know for sure than to find out the hard way!

Aside from the potential for it to be a financial sinkhole, I love it.

Comment

Nice looking wagon! I myself have picked up a clean W210. 2002 E320 4Matic and handles very well in snow.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

My sisters ex boyfriend had an E class like that. It caught on fire. After 91, Benz used the worst wire insulation possible. Be careful and super gentle when moving anything electronic on there. Look at your headlight wires, those are probably dying right now and may give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by 98vtec View Post
                          I'm sorry. I hope you got some kind of extended warranty
                          Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Be careful with something like that, though. The engine will likely run forever, as MB diesels are absolutely bulletproof... but the late 90s weren't the best time for the company in regards to pretty much everything else. Lots of expensive electronic gizmos and complicated wiring. When things fail, they usually fail BIG. If you buy it, be sure you leave some extra money in reserve just to fix anything major that breaks.

Do some research on the particular model as well. Be sure that there aren't any major components that are limited to the European model only, as that will increase the cost and time needed to fix it, if you have to special order parts from overseas! I don't think Mercedes Benz is as bad as the Japanese automakers in that regard, though. Still... better to know for sure than to find out the hard way!

Aside from the potential for it to be a financial sinkhole, I love it.
                          Hence, my post.
                          www.850fab.com
                          IG - @850Fab
                          FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

I'd question anyone offering an extended warranty on a 15+ year old Mercedes Benz. Such a warranty would be certain to contain creative wording that would render any significant claim invalid. A warranty is a gamble by the manufacturer or seller that the product is not going to need repair. Anyone offering a warranty on such an old vehicle with rather expensive repair costs is either a complete fool, or a slick scam artist.

Comment

Working...
                            X