Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Spring Compressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Compressed?

well this is my suspension set up. 2.5'' drop on kyb gr2. just wanted a second opinion on if i have to compress my new lowered springs again to get the strut mount on? i havent taken the old ones off yet. but i have seen a lot of vids on you tube on replacing stock springs, none on lowered. maybe i would need to make one.
    RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

I would think the same deal goes for any spring you have to compress them. Very dangerous btw.

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
    Originally posted by keepinitclean
    I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHusk11 View Post
      I would think the same deal goes for any spring you have to compress them. Very dangerous btw.
      just wondering...i figured since my new springs were not as tall as oem i would have enough play to get the strut mount on without compressing it again. really im trying to avoid in buying a spring compressor. but if i have too, i guess i will. or rent one at the local auto parts store.
      Last edited by jewelproject; 06-23-2011, 05:17 PM.

Comment

go to local auto part store and rent one.

or

go to local repair shop. They have the machine and it will take them no time to put it in for you

Comment

well i did a little more vid searching on this. ive seen it done both ways. compressed and not compressed. i think i can get away without compressing my new springs. i say this because the strut rod is extended way over the new springs than it would be on oem springs. but just to be safe i'll rent a compressor.

Comment

You should be able to put the tophat on and press it down far enough to get the nut on the shock piston without a spring compressor. I've assembled a shock/spring combo myself without a compressor.

However, those shocks are a terrible choice for a drop like that. They aren't made for anything more than about a 1" drop, and a spring rate no greater than 15% over stock. They will be dangerous while they are still working, and even more dangerous when they blow (which won't be long.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              You should be able to put the tophat on and press it down far enough to get the nut on the shock piston without a spring compressor. I've assembled a shock/spring combo myself without a compressor.

However, those shocks are a terrible choice for a drop like that. They aren't made for anything more than about a 1" drop, and a spring rate no greater than 15% over stock. They will be dangerous while they are still working, and even more dangerous when they blow (which won't be long.)
              they have to do for now. my ride bounces like a low rider. but thanx for the advice.
              Last edited by jewelproject; 06-23-2011, 11:25 PM.

Comment

They're better than blown stock shocks, for sure... but be aware that they are not a very safe option. Look into either getting a softer spring that gives less of a drop, or upgrading to shocks that can handle the drop you want.

Comment

would adjustable be more efficient?

Comment

Efficient?

The most affordable shock that will withstand an extreme drop would be the Koni Yellow (also called Koni Sport.) Those are indeed adjustable. However, the fact that they are adjustable is independent of their ability to handle those springs. Other adjustables, like KYB AGX, will not be able to take that spring.

What you need to do is find out the spring rate of your lowering springs, as well as how far they'll drop you. Then get a shock that will be compatible. The shock manufacturers can tell you what their parts can handle. We also have a thread in the suspension forum that lists most of the most common ones.

Have you ever played with a paddleball? You know, one of those things with the wooden paddle and the rubber ball attached to it with a rubber string? When you get the rhythm right, you can hit the ball over and over again. Mess up the rhythm, and the ball goes nuts and you lose control. That's the basic concept of how a shock works. If the shock isn't matched to the spring, it's like hitting the ball out of rhythm.

Comment

theres a way to do it by using the car. bolt the top hat in. then put the spring shock combo in and use a jack and lift the lca... not the safest way to party but it works.
                      K20z3

Comment

Originally posted by k20si View Post
                        theres a way to do it by using the car. bolt the top hat in. then put the spring shock combo in and use a jack and lift the lca... not the safest way to party but it works.
                        I did my eibachs this way(Only 1.3 drop F/R) its def not the safest idea known to man.My car wanted to slide an almost got me 2-3 times.I do not recommend this way at all especially if your the only one there an no one else is helping.You could get fubared up pretty quickly.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

When I installed my H&R Sport springs on some new KYB AGX shocks (not a good pairing... that was before I knew any better) I just put the tophat on, pressed it down with all my weight (about 210lbs back then), and my friends secured the nut. Worked fine. I actually did a rear shock myself that way.

Using the right tools is ALWAYS best... but this is a situation that can be done without, at least with lowering springs (stock springs may be too large to compress by hand... I never tried it.) Just make sure that nut is on there securely, or it could shoot you in the face. Nobody wants a nut in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            When I installed my H&R Sport springs on some new KYB AGX shocks (not a good pairing... that was before I knew any better) I just put the tophat on, pressed it down with all my weight (about 210lbs back then), and my friends secured the nut. Worked fine. I actually did a rear shock myself that way.

Using the right tools is ALWAYS best... but this is a situation that can be done without, at least with lowering springs (stock springs may be too large to compress by hand... I never tried it.) Just make sure that nut is on there securely, or it could shoot you in the face. Nobody wants a nut in the face.
                            I could do that all day long on the springs that came off of mine an also the rears on the eibachs.But the fronts couldn't be done seeing how they are pretty stiff an only a 1.3in drop makes almost impossible to do with this method.I think the OP if he could put enough ass behind it he could do this method since his are a 2.5in drop.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                            X