Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lever to Button Swap

Hey All,

In my quest to upgrade my peasant-model LX (DX), I'm thinking to swap the lever heater controls over to buttons from an EX/EX-R. I was wondering if it is as simple as swapping the units out and plugging the new one in. I do have some loose plugs behind my centre console near the gas pedal, someone said it might be for button controls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning to do a junk yard visit tomorrow, and want to know if I should pick up the parts or just pass. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that not only will you need the control box, but also the wiring harness as well as the motorized units that are mounted to the sides of the heater core behind the dash that actually move the vents around. The DX skipped these motors in favor of the cheaper direct control cables. Not sure what provisions the DX/manual core has for accepting the motors, but my guess is that it would at least have the screw holes to mount them, but don't take my word for it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Makes sense. I'll see what the wrecker has tomorrow, it's a large place but off the beaten path. Should be able to rip apart an LX and EX to see what's different without anyone noticing.

My levers are already sticking. My father's '87 Civic wagon had levers, almost needed a crowbar to move them by the time the car went to the wrecker.

Comment

after the issues I had with my SE Id almost prefer the cable actuated style..For 6 years I didnt have heat in the winter because I dreaded digging into the dash that bad lol..But it made me a stronger man lmao Im immune to the cold now.

But here..get those cables silky smooth again...
        skip to 2:21

This way is different...

https://www.denniskirk.com/28910.sku
        Last edited by illinois_erik; 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

The lx/ex style has motor for the mode selection but still has the cable for air mix. They use different connectors. It would be pretty simple to change if you get all the pieces. You will need the mode motor and lever, probably get the air mix cable to be safe, as much wiring as you can get from mode motor, and main connector.
          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I'll take a look to see what this wrecker has. Their prices are flippy-floppy depending on which son is working. First time I went I hauled out a lot for $20, second time I went they wanted $100 for an OEM spoiler. By reading through here I think I'll stick with the lever for the moment and add it to my project list down the road.

Comment

Working...
            X