Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

burning oil and auto tranny????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burning oil and auto tranny????

My first problem is the burning oil. The car does not appear to burn oil under normal driving but if I floor it it lets out a small cloud. My first thought was rings, but it lets out a large cloud of smoke after sitting a day or so when I first start it. That tells me valve guides. I had the head completely (oem) rebuilt. Is there something im missing? Any suggestions?

Second its an auto tranny and when I start it the RPMs jump to about 2500 then come down. Then when going from D to N to R and back to park the RPMs jump up betwen gears. Any ideas?

The car seems to run and idle nicely.

Its a 93 door with an F22a6 with DC sports exhaust and aem intake. New HG,timing belt,gaskets,etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

After doing some research I guess the rings could be causing it also. (oil burning that is). I had always thought the rings just caused smoke while driving. Either way, I guess ill do a compression test and see where I stand. Still need help with the auto tranny parts. Thanks
    Last edited by low-keyseg92; 05-10-2009, 07:20 AM. Reason: did some research

The revving between gears may be the IACV. Surging idle seems to be a common issue with our cars. This is the first I've heard it described that way, but it's usually a problem reported by those with manual transmissions.

Have you checked your spark plugs? I'm sure that if the head was rebuilt, new sparkplug seals were used... but that is one way oil could get into the combustion chambers. Check to see if they're wet.

It definitely sounds like an oil leak in the head. Rebuilt or not, something may have failed, or something wasn't installed properly.

Comment

I have changed many and IACV...on B and D series motors. It does not continue to ramp up and down. It goes up to 2500 then drops to normal idle. I had the head rebuilt at redline and tey have done several other heads for my civic. Im sure I am going to have to do the rings. I did it on my B so im sure I can do the F. Either way my main concern is the tranny problem. The fluid looks good and it shifts nicely while driving. I need to check the shifter cable. Thanks for the input tho.

Comment

sounds like an issue with vacuum and the transmission air control valve. do a intake cleaning.

Originally posted by Devergote
        A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Ill check that out. ty. I did clean the intake runners but I have yet to open the manifold and change the gasket. I will pull the egr and clean it also while im at it.

Comment

do a leak down...

the valve guides were probably not checked when the head was rebuilt.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Thats what I am thinking. It will be next weekend before I get back to working on the car but ill post what I find. ty for the info.

Comment

It was a vacuum issue. Number 8 line was reversed with the line from the charcoal canister. The tranny shifts good and the car is running good....except for the oil burning that is. Looks like im pulling the head again.

Comment

Update....I put new plugs in the car and ran it for about 5 min. and shut it off. I checked it the next day and there was no oil on the plug but a little in the cyl. I checke dit today ( 2 days later0 and the plug now has oil on the end of it. I would say the valve guides were not changed. It just happens to be the same cyl that had the burnt valve. I will now pull the head and have them fix it. Everything else on the car is good. Now if I could just sell the hatch to pay for wheels and coilovers....lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X