CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #181
aventari
CB7tuner Member

aventari is cool... so far.
haha you're totally right, I'm going to Harbor Freight tonight to pick up a press and do this myself.

I've needed one some many times, I'm just always lazy and cheap
aventari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #182
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

ukemike is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aventari View Post
After the last race and the crash, some work needed to be done on the car.

During the race, to quickly fix our suspension, I had to drill a hole in the rear subframe to remount the control arm, basically destroying it. So a new subframe was needed, and in addition, the front steering rack was making clunking noises due to the crash so that needed to be replaced.

Actually while inspecting the steering rack noises, we noticed that the front subframe itself was bent and cracked! So not only do we need a new rack and rear frame, but a new front subframe as well. We actually think the front crack was caused by a previous crash.

Dang something similar ruined our last race and lead to us buying a new car! When you've got it all back together check to see if the CV boot on one side or the other looks stretched. After I put in our new front crossmember our left inner axle boot was stretched and we didn't notice. Pulled the axle out after 7 laps. Put in a new axle. Did it again. Turns out the frame was bent in some way that I was unable to comprehend. I did do a string alignment and found the whole front end was about an inch out of whack. Hence the new car.
Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Str.t "Orange", Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid
ukemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #183
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Well I've replaced the rear crossmember and bent control arm, and replaced the whole front subframe, steering rack and tie rods.

Everything is almost back together, just gotta hook up the exhaust and fill the power steering and take it to the alignment shop.

I hope nothing is bent too bad, but there's a good frame shop next door that I would use if it's actually bent up.

Gonna get the car roadworthy this weekend and align it next week. 5 weeks left!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #184
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Car was aligned, and the frame is not bent! woot

However with a non bent subframe, the camber increased, and the adjustment of the control arm couldn't make up for it.

So new instead of -3.84 left and -3.68 right camber,
now it's
-4.18 left
-3.91 right.

I'm hoping that's not too much, we will see how it feels on track. If it's too much, I'll find some different upper arms.

Also I bled the brakes and fixed an exhaust leak. The $50 ebay header fex section had started leaking. I'm sure because it was forced into this S bend when mounted and it was putting stress on the flex.

So I cut it out and welded up an S bend from 2" diameter piping and an 8" long new flex section.

The new steering rack is working and not leaking which is nice. Only 2 more weekends of work left before the race!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #185
aventari
CB7tuner Member

Does anyone know of a source for a header with larger pipes? This one only goes into a 2" collector, I'd love a 2.5" or even 2.25" header for some extra power.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: