Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F23 vtec swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F23 vtec swap

hello cb7'ers. i just brought an f23 vtec engine out of a 1998 honda accord. i wanted to know will it swap into my 91 cb7 with no problem or will it be a hard job? will everything bolt right up? and can i use my stock f22 ecu on the f23 vtec? thanks alot if you can help in any way. oh yeah one more question can i use my f22 trans on the f23?

i never seen a f23 vtec cb7 please tell me this is a possable swap lol.

Convert to obd 1 and its possible. I dont know how extensive though

Comment

well i had mines in about a month ago but just swapped for h23. i used factory everything but my vtec didnt work but other than that make sure you convert over .

Comment

You need a VTEC ECU for VTEC to work. The F22A ECU will not be a good option.

The F23 is a hassle, because there are no OBD1 ECUs for that motor. The only option you have other than a custom tune is the P0A from the F22B1.

Honestly, this swap would be more effort than it's worth, IMO. If your F22A isn't blown, the F23 isn't going to do much for you. It's only an "upgrade" if you're swapping out a bad motor, and this is a replacement.

Comment

yeah. the only thing is that its an obd2 motor so you will need a obd2 ecu. im doing my research on this swap and i also heard that the f22 trans will not fit on the f23 motor in which i hoped it did lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Youngill726 View Post
            well i had mines in about a month ago but just swapped for h23. i used factory everything but my vtec didnt work but other than that make sure you convert over .
            thanks for the info. did you use the f22 trans or the f23 trans on your swap?

Comment

The F22 trans will fit the F23 just fine.

The motor is not a direct drop in, but close. The process is similar to that of the H22.
              The biggest issue is getting it running right. The OBD2 H22A4 and F22B1 both have OBD1 equivalents, so the OBD1 ECUs can be used to run the motors properly when converting to OBD1. The F23A1 has no OBD1 equivalent, as they didn't start appearing until 1998 (the OBD2 changeover happened in 1996). That means you have to use an improper ECU like the P0A from the F22B1, get a custom tune with a chipped ECU (to have it done right is going to cost well over $500), or convert your entire car to OBD2... which is a total pain in the ass.

And what for? 10 extra horsepower, and "VTEC" (the SOHC VTEC is a joke... seriously...) A little more displacement? Get yourself an H23 if you want a 2.3L motor... or an H22A if you want VTEC. The F23A isn't worth your time, unless you have a particular reason to want that specific motor in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by dapump2003
                so droping a f23 in a 91 accord is basically the same thing except changing out the intake manifold and driver side bracket?? does the f22 intake manifold even fit the f23??
                Same thing as what? I don't know what you mean about the intake manifold and driver's side bracket...

And no, the F22 intake manifold will not fit the F23. Get the F23 manifold.

Or better yet... don't waste your time with this swap.

Comment

thanks again for the info. trust me i dont wanna waste my time with this swap lol. i already bought the engine so im stuck with it. to save trouble can i just ditch the vtec head and put the f22 head on? i hope you say it will bolt right on with no problem so i could use my stock ecu and stay obd1 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RicedButFast View Post
                    thanks again for the info. trust me i dont wanna waste my time with this swap lol. i already bought the engine so im stuck with it. to save trouble can i just ditch the vtec head and put the f22 head on? i hope you say it will bolt right on with no problem so i could use my stock ecu and stay obd1 lol.
                    yeah you could do that

Comment

I love these threads, deev you are such a hater. F23 fits and works just fine

I swapped because I blew up my F22a, I was using the p0a and it ran pretty good, but now I am tuned and it runs 10 times better so I would suggest a tune if you are going to swap. Crzy tuning ftw

my ride

Comment

I don't hate the F23 all that much... but by the questions he's asking in the first post, this swap seems to me far more than he's capable of doing.

And no, the F22A head will not bolt on with no modification. It can be done, but it's not like playing with Legos.

If your abilities are limited, don't take on more than you can handle. It gets very expensive, and very frustrating.

Comment

well hi guys im new to this forum and have been reading a lot and finally found something to reply for so this will be my 1st post ever but let me say this i am currently running on an f23a1 vtec engine in my cb7 it was a horrible swap due to the person who did it didnt know what they were doing soo we ran into a lot of problems and it was a pain in the ass to do but we converted the motor to obd1 i by replacing the injectors i think from the f22a4 i had in there that i blew and we used the mounts from the f22 as well which made it bolt right on perfectly we had to move the fuel filter to reach the other side of the fuel rail cuz the thing was on the other side etc etc etc a lot of small things youll run into but i think the biggest problems were that i have no damn idea how to get the iac to work due to the 2-3 wiring differences and the ecu were using right now is a p13 which seems to work pretty well so far but i still want to get it chipped and what not but in my opinion i dont think its worth it cuz i spent 1000 dollars on this swap cuz i didnt know shyt about cars while this was goin on but now im learning that i could have had an h22 for that price but yea i wouldnt do it but if it was ur only option like mine was than i guess u gotta do what u gotta do sorry if i sound like i dont know what im talking about lol im still learning about all this car stuff... but thats why im here to get help and to try to help so i hope this post kinda helped...... peace

edit: oh i also wanted to say that the f22 transmission does just bolt right on with no mods or anything and if you want to know step by step how the swap went just let me know ill tell u all the problems that we ran into as far as i can remember
                          Last edited by praramis; 08-16-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

yeah it will you can use a a 1995 accord ecu dont remember what it was and tranny will fit if u dont want to waste to much money take the tps of your f22 and put it on the f23 and u need a obd 1 dizzy and vtec diagram.... tell me how it go's good luck bro

Comment

Working...
                            X