Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

simple?oilchange?not really...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple?oilchange?not really...

ok guys i finally got my cb7 manual but have come across a problem that is not covered, or at least easily found in the manual.

Ok well i was just doing a simple oil change, and first the oil cap ontop of the engine was not comming off and it eventually just broke off (had to get a new one but pretty cheap). When i took the oil filter off, the bolt that holds the filter to the oil pan came off with the old filter:

I forgot to ask the guy at auto zone but can i just buy another one of these?? Ive tried a few things to try and get it out but dont want to strip the threads.

Any advice?

Yes you can buy it here (part 24):
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ER&vinsrch=yes

Originally posted by HardInThePaint
    WTF, thats like placing the cheese underneath the beef patty and calling it a burgercheese. Regardless of how u slice it the shit is a cheeseburger.

Comment

Originally posted by A Zombies Minge View Post
      cool thanks...so the bolt i need for the oil filter is #19 on the illustration?

so can i get a 20mm bolt somewhere else or should i get the one straight from honda? My car is on roll ups now waiting for this oil filter and i need to go to work tomorrow so the fastest option would be best

Comment

sorry i just noticed that u said it it was part 24. ok damn so they would have to order that prolly right? ok thanks for the advice, ill call around to try and find one

Comment

slip a bike inner tube over it, to protect the threads, and provide cushioning,put the filter in a bench vise, and go to town on it with a channel lock or vise grip.
          The other standard way to unthread something like that is to thread two nuts onto it, jam them together tightly, then use a wrench on the one furthest away from you.

Heating the bolt hole circumference with a torch would normally work too except the oil would start burning and probably burst into flame.

of course, you now have a new part on the way so this becomes irrelevant, unless for speed.

Another, easily accessible, method, is to spray it with PB blast/Liquid wrench/CRC Freeze-off on it or even put pure toluene on it and wait a bit. If it doesn't work after 15 minutes, hit it again. And again after a couple of hours.

I would be somewhat concerned that both of these parts, lubricated with oil, stuck on like that. It would make me think that the engine valve cover and the back of the block had gotten to really elevated temperatures, at which the oil would polymerize and form a kind of "glue" much like the stuff that forms on an iron skillet when you rub it with oil and "cure" it in the oven. Except engine oil's smoke point is well into the 480-550F range (from memory), whereas most cooking oils have a smoke point at least 50 to 100 degrees below that. The smoke point is the point at which the polymerization process begins, as I recall.

That's just what it makes me think of. I'm no expert on it.
          Last edited by batever; 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post

I would be somewhat concerned that both of these parts, lubricated with oil, stuck on like that. It would make me think that the engine valve cover and the back of the block had gotten to really elevated temperatures, at which the oil would polymerize and form a kind of "glue" much like the stuff that forms on an iron skillet when you rub it with oil and "cure" it in the oven. Except engine oil's smoke point is well into the 480-550F range (from memory), whereas most cooking oils have a smoke point at least 50 to 100 degrees below that. The smoke point is the point at which the polymerization process begins, as I recall.

That's just what it makes me think of. I'm no expert on it.
            Ok thanks for the advice. Yeah i think im just gonna wait for the new part.
            But what kind of things should i be concerned about? Should i get a higher viscosity oil? What type of things are going on that are causing the block to reach those elevated temperatures? My temp gauge never goes up past half way. What parts should i have looked at?

Comment

It could also be that whoever did the last oil change(assuming it wasn't you) put the filter on way to tight. Judging by the hole in the filter near the threads I am assuming that you had to punch it with a screwdriver or something to gain enough leverage to get it off. That means that it was on there way to tight and possibly for way too long.

Originally posted by HardInThePaint
              WTF, thats like placing the cheese underneath the beef patty and calling it a burgercheese. Regardless of how u slice it the shit is a cheeseburger.

Comment

Originally posted by A Zombies Minge View Post
                sorry to be off topic but whats part #22 and #23?? is that for a oil cooler??
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=138029 <-mrt

diy whore riiittteeee here
                [URL="http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=2208455"]
                http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/members/pr3pg4lyfe.html

Comment

Originally posted by CB7tRuNdLePuFf View Post
                  Ok thanks for the advice. Yeah i think im just gonna wait for the new part.
                  But what kind of things should i be concerned about? Should i get a higher viscosity oil? What type of things are going on that are causing the block to reach those elevated temperatures? My temp gauge never goes up past half way. What parts should i have looked at?
                  i don't think it's a given that your engine is running too hot, but I was just making you aware of the possibility.

you should just use 5w-30 oil, and check that your cooling system is working correctly and, ideally, that your oil pressure is good...most likely scenario though is just that it's a fluke and someone just really liked tightening stuff down too tight.

Comment

Awesome thanks for advice....but a new problem has come up.

So I went ahead and got a new holder from the dealership andthe filter is not screwing in tight. I feel like if I go ahead and try to screw it in tight it will get stuck in the filter again.
                    There is no reason for that bolt our holder to come out right? I have this bonding pussy that apparently holds like a weld, should I use that?

Comment

Hahahaha. Not bonding pussy....bonding puddy.

Comment

Working...
                      X