5 speed Stuck in 1st Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed Stuck in 1st Gear

For some reason my car wont come out of 1st gear but the shift knob moves freely.
    I can start the car pressing in the clutch, its engaging but soon as i ease off the clutch it stalls out.

I was told to check the linkage, which im going to get to in the morning. Any Other Suggestions????

Originally posted by 91@CCORD74 View Post
    For some reason my car wont come out of 1st gear but the shift knob moves freely.
    I can start the car pressing in the clutch, its engaging but soon as i ease off the clutch it stalls out.

I was told to check the linkage, which im going to get to in the morning. Any Other Suggestions????
    x2 on the shift linkage, when u move the shift knob if u cant feel it go into gear its the linkage.

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
      x2 on the shift linkage, when u move the shift knob if u cant feel it go into gear its the linkage.
      correct, if you can take your shift knob and move it in a full circle, and it just kind of dangles off to the side, theres no tension and its moving really freely its probably your linkage, I had the same problem before.
      Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

As mentioned, if you can move the shift knob in any pattern that doesn't seem normal, (move horizontal ("select") only in the center(neutral), and move vertical only at the far left, middle, and far right ("shift")) then it's most likely a broken linkage. The shift forks in the transmission are what create this pattern, nothing else.

Originally posted by 91@CCORD74 View Post
        Any Other Suggestions????
        If it's not the above, it could be internal. Less likely, it's possible the shift forks are bad; this can be confirmed/denied with more information (if the cables look OK, and if the shift pattern is allowed to be abnormal). More likely, it's possible that the bearing for first gear is busted, causing first gear to be locked to the shaft. This happened to my transmission, but instead for fifth gear. The shift knob followed the normal shift pattern, but I was unable to shift into fifth gear. I should note that mine was caused by running with low (no) transmission fluid, due to a leaking seal.
        Last edited by reklipz; 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X