Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

things to consider when replacing oil pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

things to consider when replacing oil pan?

Hey everyone, the oil pan on my H22 has been pretty beat up for quite some time and recently the gasket has started leaking pretty bad. I've picked up a aftermarket oil pan (new) and bought a oem honda gasket (also new) to go with it. I was just wondering if there was anything that I should consider replacing or taking a look at while I'm there?... stuff that I would not have access to if the oil pan were on.
    Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

the only problem i had and it happen twice was when i took off the oil pan the gasket was stuck to the oilpan and i couldnt get it off lol

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194049

Comment

howd you go about removing it? I assume it can't be that hard to scrape it off.

Comment

Originally posted by 92accord ex View Post
        the only problem i had and it happen twice was when i took off the oil pan the gasket was stuck to the oilpan and i couldnt get it off lol
        Make sure you sure a scraper that won't scratch the metal. A plastic spreader/chisel works well for me.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

have a look at the oil pick up tube while you're in there. make sure nothing is clogging it and check for bends/other damage.

also, make sure you aren't over tightening the oil pan bolts. they break easy and if they are tightened too much, the gasket will squish out and cause leaks.

and like the others have said, you def want something plastic to scrape the gasket off with if it happens to get stuck. later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by trinistylez View Post
            howd you go about removing it? I assume it can't be that hard to scrape it off.
            it was rock hard i used mutiple things. i tryed chizzleing it off but gave up becuase even if i got it all off it wouldnt be smooth. i just went to autozone and bought a new oil pan

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194049

Comment

Originally posted by 92accord ex View Post
              it was rock hard i used mutiple things. i tryed chizzleing it off but gave up becuase even if i got it all off it wouldnt be smooth. i just went to autozone and bought a new oil pan
              i have a new oil pan.... one of my reasons for replacing it is because its all beat up and the bolt never seals properly because it was cross threaded.

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
              have a look at the oil pick up tube while you're in there. make sure nothing is clogging it and check for bends/other damage.

also, make sure you aren't over tightening the oil pan bolts. they break easy and if they are tightened too much, the gasket will squish out and cause leaks.

and like the others have said, you def want something plastic to scrape the gasket off with if it happens to get stuck. later.
              thanks I will be sure to check that.

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              Make sure you sure a scraper that won't scratch the metal. A plastic spreader/chisel works well for me.
              thanks for the advice. is the gasket known to just stick to the pan or the actual motor itself as well?

Comment

Oil pan was replaced successfully

Comment

Working...
                X