CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 07-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #81
aww_shiet
Accord of the Year: 2006

aww_shiet is cool... so far.
logged onto PB and their site is so shiet, it won't even load my pics

luckily, I've had backups of my sig, and the pics of my first 2 posts on my MR thread. But, to go through the rest of my thread would be a PITA! ...it's like, 213 pages
Old 07-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #82
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Seriously? I just seen this thread pop up and it caught my eye being as I've seen so many signatures lately with "upgrade your photobucket account to whatever". So this is what's up. Nice.

I switched to Flickr Pro a year ago. And now I'm glad I did. Imagine what this is going to do to so many forums? So much data is going to be lost... Photobucket can kick rocks. They think that everyone with their pictures on forums will pay up since that's easiest. What a scum bag thing to do.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #83
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
LOL they keep sending me emails informing me that my account requires updating. I am guessing that they haven't taken the time to look at the one image I left in my album.....lol

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:13 AM   #84
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Okay, this is weird. I got onto my member's ride thread and was going to relink all of my pictures to my imgur account, but all of the pictures seem to be working. This is especially strange as I deleted most every picture I had from my Photobucket account when I pulled them off.

Can anyone else see them?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 AM   #85
Jon
Contributing Member

Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Nope, they are all PB upgrade your account images.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #86
aww_shiet
Accord of the Year: 2006

aww_shiet is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Okay, this is weird. I got onto my member's ride thread and was going to relink all of my pictures to my imgur account, but all of the pictures seem to be working. This is especially strange as I deleted most every picture I had from my Photobucket account when I pulled them off.

Can anyone else see them?
try this:

HOLD [CTRL], then press [F5]

If you pics are still there, you're good
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #87
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
I still have albums I can't download..... grrrr. Get random BS like this...

Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #88
Jon
Contributing Member

Just received this email from PB.

Even though I'm paid up until Jan 1, 2019... lucky me that I'm only one of MILLIONS they spammed and want to charge me $60 a month for their sh*t.

So $400 a year bill annually OR $60 a month for third party picture hosting.
I don't know about you but this advertisement screams "We're loosing customers, do something!".
Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #89
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I wonder if they actually think this will work... or if they're just going to take what they can get while in their death throes. There's no way they're going to be able to get enough business to keep afloat. The ad revenue from the thousands of people visiting the site day in and day out would surely be worth more than the trickle of money coming from people willing to fork over $400 or $60/mo (which is absurd.) That ad revenue will surely dry up as people stop visiting the site (something that will happen soon... as soon as folks manage to download all of their albums.)

Back in 2004 or so, the founder of this site contemplated charging for membership. The cost of keeping the site going ended up being more than he expected when we hit 3000 members or so. When he announced it publicly, people were pissed. Numerous people (some that are still around today) threatened to leave rather than pay. Some of those same people were among the first to donate to help cover the cost of operation when that was suggested, however (some of those are still here, too.) When asked to help save a site they enjoyed and found useful, they were happy to help. When forced to pay in order to access the site, they were willing to walk.

Aside from certain specific situations, like yours Jon, NOBODY needs a third party image host anymore. Facebook, Instagram, and the ease of sharing pictures through text messages make such a service unnecessary for anything but hotlinking on forums, blogs, and other websites. Rather than drive 90% of their user base away from their site, as well as deterring future users due to the now abundant "you have to pay to do this!" images strewn about the internet, PB should devise some sort of plan that retains their most commonly used feature, while offering useful advanced features for a price.
For example, limit the size and resolution of hotlinked images. Fine for posting a quick picture of your dog, car, etc... But not great if you want to post large, high quality images of, say, your artwork, or an intricate piece of machinery you need help dissecting. They could plop watermarks on the images uploaded to a free account, but remove them on paid accounts. They could limit the number of images, or the number of albums. They could limit the number of uploads allowed per day, or week, or month.

There are TONS of ways they could potentially get their customers to pay. What they're doing is about as smart as a car company selling cheap cars, but charging outrageous prices for "extras"... like seats, or a windshield.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #90
cp[mike]
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful
the thing that bothers me, is that they are still using bandwidth to distribute those stupid placeholder images. Might as well just put a low-quality version of the original image in some form.

they've signed their deathwish, if just from the bad PR alone. They may retain some limited subset of professional photographers (probably the only ones they care about) but I think most people realize that this was handled very poorly, and will continue to badmouth them for the rest of forever. They shot their own reputation in the foot.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
- 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
- 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
Current cars:
- 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
- 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-27-2017 at 07:21 PM.
cp[mike] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #91
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I have a feeling someone will come along with a much cheaper option for anyone that wants to use such a service, too. Someone will ALWAYS be there to fill a need, and this has created quite a need. $400/yr is crazy. $60/month ($720/yr) is absolutely batshit. For that much money, I'd buy my own server and host my own damn photos (and rent out space to others at an affordable rate.)

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #92
Jon
Contributing Member

Right now I'm just riding out my term that I paid for.
Finding another service that works with ebay has been an issue. Some services restrict and block them (for good reason).
A this point a low end website with reasonable bandwidth allocation is looking to be the best solution. It'll be more expensive than what I am currently paying, but it sure as hell would be cheaper than PB's Plus 500 plan.

Deev is right, someone will come in and fill this market. If not specifically image hosting for forums. It's a market that needs filled.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:14 AM   #93
af_1132
CB7tuner Member

af_1132 is cool... so far.
Send a message via Skype™ to af_1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
I still have albums I can't download..... grrrr. Get random BS like this...

I'm in the same boat as you, although I just put every picture in one album and tried to download it. I don't know how big Ghost's and Lummie's albums were, but they were lucky to get them to download. I will try small subsets of the total...19 pages of pictures...

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
"Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
FS Thread

15.10 @ 90.42mph
The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
af_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 AM   #94
Raf99
Gold Member

Ya, i still can't download, not liking this.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #95
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
Going individually, Right-click + Save As works.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #96
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Going individually, Right-click + Save As works.
Ya, I'll do that instead. thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #97
Raf99
Gold Member

FYI, I'm reading online....

If you place the following "~original" between .jpg[/IMG] your photos will appear as they once did. This is a pain, and the only fix I can find for existing photos hosted on PB. The downside is the current error when editing original posts to make the photos reappear. TLDR: your new links should all end with .jpg~original[/IMG] and not .jpg[/IMG][/quote]
Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #98
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
To late, I have already deleted all my images from photobucket.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #99
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
FYI, I'm reading online....

If you place the following "~original" between .jpg[/IMG] your photos will appear as they once did. This is a pain, and the only fix I can find for existing photos hosted on PB. The downside is the current error when editing original posts to make the photos reappear. TLDR: your new links should all end with .jpg~original[/IMG] and not .jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

It worked for many of my newer photos, but not the old ones with a simpler link. How soon will they catch on to this and disable it?

Edit: For the old ones, I went back and simply copied the new IMG link - so far everything I've done now shows up.

Edit: The old ones that I reposted reverted to the upgrade warning. Adding the "~original" seems to work for those now as well.

Last edited by fleetw00d; 08-02-2017 at 10:02 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #100
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
You'll still want to use a new host, but at least now we can confirm specific photo placement

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: